Star Stop - 1415 Studemont St.

hindesky

On 3/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, hindesky said:

The address shows it at the little medical complex but I think it's actually next to it and across from the apartments going up.

PPR1yxN.png

Pretty sure we've discussed this development before. Maybe it was in Studemont Junction when that was a thing. I actually thought this carwash was cancelled... very interesting.

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is beyond stupid. And I don't want to hear it's because I-10 is there so it makes sense. 

What makes it even worse is the fact that Krogers across the street already has a gas station and theres another gas station on Washington :)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

What makes it even worse is the fact that Krogers across the street already has a gas station and theres another gas station on Washington :)

Exactly! I'm trying to wrap my head around this one and it ain't working. Just more and more wasted opportunities in this city, I'm not really surprised.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is beyond stupid. And I don't want to hear it's because I-10 is there so it makes sense. 

It's probably more like it's because there are a lot apartments in the area and you can't wash your car in the driveway like you can if you live in a single family home.  It makes perfect sense.  A car wash isn't that big of a deal to tear down when the time is right for this property.  It's just that the time isn't always right for high density development on every single piece of available land.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, august948 said:

It's probably more like it's because there are a lot apartments in the area and you can't wash your car in the driveway like you can if you live in a single family home.  It makes perfect sense.  A car wash isn't that big of a deal to tear down when the time is right for this property.  It's just that the time isn't always right for high density development on every single piece of available land.

I guess my thing is, I wouldn't be so against it if the surrounding infrastructure accommodated pedestrians better. But yeah I do agree maybe the timing isn't right. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I guess my thing is, I wouldn't be so against it if the surrounding infrastructure accommodated pedestrians better. But yeah I do agree maybe the timing isn't right. 

Well, they do have to complete the sidewalk.  That's a plus.  And, hey, walking by a car wash on a hot summer day can be good if the wind is blowing right.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Star Stop - 1415 Studemont
2 hours ago, august948 said:

Ok...so it's more of a convenience store with a tunnel car wash than a full blown wash.  So that's ground floor retail with coffee right there.  Win win?

Just stick an apartment building on top, and you would have the trifecta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Star Stop - 1415 Studemont St.
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Really? How functional is its stupid hat?

The hat keeps the rain off its head. Bwahahaha.

Without the hat, it would just be a box. Don't you want some sort of visual stimulation? Is it not better than the parking lot for semi-trailers that used to be there? Why do you want the area to be a fuel desert? Shouldn't here be 8 or 9 more gas stations in that stretch, just to provide variety for consumers?

Welcome to Houston, where if there's something you hate, there will be something you hate even more replacing it soon!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ross said:

The hat keeps the rain off its head. Bwahahaha.

Without the hat, it would just be a box. Don't you want some sort of visual stimulation? Is it not better than the parking lot for semi-trailers that used to be there? Why do you want the area to be a fuel desert? Shouldn't here be 8 or 9 more gas stations in that stretch, just to provide variety for consumers?

Welcome to Houston, where if there's something you hate, there will be something you hate even more replacing it soon!

Yes visual stimulation is good. Actually just building with some level of basic design would make anything look better. Instead we get these ugly facades and a business that will be at that corner for a very very very long time. I get that it's "functional" but so it that massive Kroger's across the street. This just seems like yet again another wasted opportunity to build something special and really make a change for this section of town. We just keep spinning our wheels doing the same routine.