Bayou City Art Festival

ssullivan

Lowspark! Wake up!

There was a football game yesterday...71,000 people. There was a little baseball being played at Minute Maid...another 43,400. Everyone else was either at a sports bar or a friend's house watching the game. Arts Fest picked a REALLY bad weekend for their festival.

The fall Bayou City Arts Fest is always on this weekend. Anyway, there were lots of things going on this weekend -- in addition to this festival and the sporting events, there was the Greek Festival in Montrose (always draws big crowds), Wings Over Houston, and an Italian festival out in far west Houston.

I don't really have a problem with the $8 admission fee. It costs a lot of money for security, utilities, cleanup, street closing, and other services provided by the city to host these things. $8 is not all that much money -- it's what you'd pay to go to a movie. I've been to a lot of festivals in other cities that cost at least this much, if not more. Even when i've been to the arts festival and not bought anything, spending time with friends exploring the booths and seeing the huge variety of work on display was well worth the admission charge.

With the large crowds the Bayou City Arts Fest draws to its two annual events, and the numbers other festivals like the International Festival pack in, it doesn't seem that there's any shortage of people who believe the admission charges for these events are reasonable.

• 3 years later...

I really wish they'd get the Bayou City Arts Festival out of Memorial Park. It's a terrible location for such a big event. There's no parking and only two ways into and out of the park.

I went jogging this afternoon and the park was getting trashed.

I really hated seeing people have such total disregard for the park (parking on lawns/fields, not putting their trash in the trashcans, smoking and walking 6 abreast on the trail, etc...).

Archived