Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

Just a thought, but I think you might be happier living in The Woodlands.

thanks for the thought.. maybe we can have a nice backyard barbq as soon as they give me $400,000 for this little old house.. ill buy me a new one cash over in the woodlands... B) ill take the fajitas and the sirloin steak..

Most people in The Heights have never even eaten at a chain.

theres tons of chain resturants in the heights.. theres a mcdonalds, taco bell, KFC, pizza hut, jack in the box,whataburger, churche's,burger king,subway,dominoes pizza, quiznos, popeyes.. they are all there..

Edited by deliriouz

I think some commercial interests especially in those dillapidated warehouses across from I-10 does all area home owners some good. I live in the Woodland Heights drive by those industrial plants off of Sawyer and dream of the day when they are all gone and replaced by shops, etc.

Don't get me wrong...in the end I would prefer it end up more an eclectic village with less Chili's, etc....but I would not argue with the Target, Starbucks or 24 Hour....I know, call me a hypocrite but I have my vices...lol

Guest danax
At some point too I recall hearing that the parking lot concrete would be "broken-up" with trees. However, now that the concrete is poured, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I drove by on the freeway today and spotted a fresh row of trees planted along the edge of the parking lot.

Still standard suburbia so far but at least they've got some greenery going in.

Let's hope it keeps looking better as time rolls on.

Yeah when I drove by there last week, it looked exactly like the one on San Felipe - nothing anymore urban than any other Target. But again, we'll see when its all said and done.

As for hoping there is a Chili's or Applebee's - I'm hoping there isn't. Yes its snobby as hell, but its my exact picture of the suburbs that a great night out for eating includes choosing between CHili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden or TGI Friday's.

Yeah when I drove by there last week, it looked exactly like the one on San Felipe - nothing anymore urban than any other Target. But again, we'll see when its all said and done.

As for hoping there is a Chili's or Applebee's - I'm hoping there isn't. Yes its snobby as hell, but its my exact picture of the suburbs that a great night out for eating includes choosing between CHili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden or TGI Friday's.

Nah..nothing snobby about wanting to spend your $$ in a good environment with nice food-the same way it's not snobby to cook a good meal in your kitchen for you and those you choose to treat. You can hit a chain with over salted food any hour of the week-that's why we don't need one in the target center. They are a dime a dozen.

Besides, if you're craving really unhealthy food, go a few blocks south to the Pig Stand and have the best cardiac chicken fried steak on a plate :lol:

I do!

B)

it would be nice to have a movie theater, a supermarket, applebess or chillis, and a 24 hour fitness, and a typical starbucks.... in this Sawyer Heights Village.. that would bring in BIG crowds because theres nothing of that kind in this area.. trust me. i live 4 blocks away..

I hurt for you, my friend. Just say no to the chains! Life is too short and H-Town has too much to offer!

It would be great to have local businesses and restaurants move into the shopping center. I'm all about going to Houston-based businesses -- the food tends to be better and it helps support small business owners. Starbucks vs. Daily Grind? Chili's vs. Jax Grill? No contest! Not that I expect Daily Grind or Jax to move in, but you get my point. Just no chains!

Besides, if you're craving really unhealthy food, go a few blocks south to the Pig Stand and have the best cardiac chicken fried steak on a plate :lol:

I do!

B)

Another great thing about the Pig Stand: after consuming the sort of hamburger that most restaurants stopped serving circa 1970, I returned home and watched The Evening Star. To my astonishment and awe, I realized that I'd just sat on the very stool that Miss Shirley McClaine's buttcheeks had graced while making that movie! I'm still filled with wonder and delight (and, perhaps, some of the hamburger as well).

There are some experiences that one simply cannot have at a chain restaurant.

Man, let's hope so. That street is torture right now.

Taylor / Sawyer from I-10 to Crockett will be completely re paved and landscaped prior to Target's move in. They are almost through with all of the curbs and wheelchair ramps (they finished my curbs today!) along Sawyer. It will be great when it's done.

Regarding the Target, at least they have done a little landscaping. And, since I can see it, at least their logo is a good one. I thnk that it will be a big hit.

I totally agree about chains, but if I had my choice for the Target center it would be of the Cafe Express, La Madeline, Carabbas, Jamba Juice or Starbucks variety.

Don't most all new Target's have a Starbucks inside them now? I'm sure we'll get one of those. A Cafe Express would be a great choice for a 'chain' if you have to have one. We live in the Woodland Heights, but I work in the heart of the 'burbs, in Copperfield (NW Houston). I'm surrounded by chains out there, like someone said, the choice for dinner out there is Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebees, and all the others. I love coming back home to the diversity of the Heights. Part of that diversity is our choice of food. So many great places here to eat.

And speaking of Pig Stand, I hope they are prepared for a huge influx of people. The Sawyer street connection to Washington Ave is going to be a major route to Sawyer Heights and alot more people are going to start discovering it. In fact, I bet Washington Ave is going to experience a huge increase in redevelopment as the Target center gets busier and busier.

Just my .02

Don't most all new Target's have a Starbucks inside them now? I'm sure we'll get one of those. A Cafe Express would be a great choice for a 'chain' if you have to have one. We live in the Woodland Heights, but I work in the heart of the 'burbs, in Copperfield (NW Houston). I'm surrounded by chains out there, like someone said, the choice for dinner out there is Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebees, and all the others. I love coming back home to the diversity of the Heights. Part of that diversity is our choice of food. So many great places here to eat.

And speaking of Pig Stand, I hope they are prepared for a huge influx of people. The Sawyer street connection to Washington Ave is going to be a major route to Sawyer Heights and alot more people are going to start discovering it. In fact, I bet Washington Ave is going to experience a huge increase in redevelopment as the Target center gets busier and busier.

Just my .02

I agree. That area is already developing and people are talking about it. When the Target is up and running, the whole Washington corridor is going to explode. On the way to The Corkscrew the other night, my husband and I were laughing about how smart those people were who bought the 1st townhomes over there (the ones with the high brick wall in front). I'm sure everyone they knew told them they were crazy. Who looks crazy now? :rolleyes:

I agree. That area is already developing and people are talking about it. When the Target is up and running, the whole Washington corridor is going to explode. On the way to The Corkscrew the other night, my husband and I were laughing about how smart those people were who bought the 1st townhomes over there (the ones with the high brick wall in front). I'm sure everyone they knew told them they were crazy. Who looks crazy now? :rolleyes:

I knew one of the investors in that project. I never thought he was crazy...I just didn't have any money at that time. :(

The target is opening in July. But what about the other stores? It doesn't look like they have done anything for the other stores that will be over there in that area. I was thinking more stores would open up around the same time as Target, but it looks like that will not be so.

Also...anyone have any idea on if the surrounding plants are planning on selling out and moving soon. I would love it if this area got bigger and became kind of a Heights village area with lots of shops, restaurants, etc....kind of like Rice Village.

The target is opening in July. But what about the other stores? It doesn't look like they have done anything for the other stores that will be over there in that area. I was thinking more stores would open up around the same time as Target, but it looks like that will not be so.

Also...anyone have any idea on if the surrounding plants are planning on selling out and moving soon. I would love it if this area got bigger and became kind of a Heights village area with lots of shops, restaurants, etc....kind of like Rice Village.

That was what we were wondering too. Having worked out in the burbs for years, it seems that every new 'development' sort of just "opens" with a bunch a stores already in it. For Target to be opening in what, less than 2 months, there is nothing else built, no other shopping center spaces...maybe they are just going to build fast toward the end. You'd think though that for the fact that their website plan shows 5 or 6 restaurant pads and bank pads in addition to the empty retail space, that there would be other businesses putting up their stand alone buildings. Are the warehouses coming down and that graphics place that are right there at the edge of the property?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but they will be building a chick fil a there too.. Can't wait.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that...interesting...sounds like this place will be filled up not long after the spaces are all built out. With that kind of demand I would not be surprised if they are already checking out surrounding spaces for future expansion in a few years.

Don't you guys think it is weird that there have not been any other official announcements about other stores opening in Sawyer Heights Village other than Target? Everything else just seems to be stuff people are hearing...nothing official like press releases, etc.

Target is two months from opening and I am sure that area is getting lots of action from potential stores, restaurants, etc.

Edited by shady 75

It seems that the developer's marketing department would have "coming soon" signs up in the area to build excitement for the development. Has anyone called the developer to inquire?

Also, has anyone heard about other establishments going up around Washington @ Shephard? I know that Melina's Meixcan Restaurant is coming along...anything else? Also, does anyone know about the 3-4 specialty retail centers supposidly coming soon along Washington Ave, east of Shepard?

Don't you guys think it is weird that there have not been any other official announcements about other stores opening in Sawyer Heights Village other than Target? Everything else just seems to be stuff people are hearing...nothing official like press releases, etc.

Target is two months from opening and I am sure that area is getting lots of action from potential stores, restaurants, etc.

well, the chick-fil-a is in their official site plan.