Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

For whatever else we'd like to see, this is still a commercial enterprise, serving an auto based clientele. They need a big lot. If that lot is shielded from the street somewhat by other retail establishments, so much the better. But, to expect them to inconvenience the shoppers, just so it might look more "urban", is unrealistic.

:D

You can still cut down on irresponsible land use and still serve an auto based clientele. Are you saying the clientele will be intimidated if it were built otherwise?

From today's Chron: First Ward holdouts give in to developers

Mother and son sell homes, with regret, to make way for retail project

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/3788307.html

B)

From article

Court action feared

Trevino suggested buyers of the property may have attempted to obtain the houses through court action if his mother had not agreed to sell. He declined to elaborate. Valdez and others familiar with the transaction knew nothing about the matter.

If a holdout flat out refuses.. what legal recourse does the developer have ?

Let's say..If the owner is in enough of financial standing to hold on to his property, and afford the taxes from the rising property value. Can he holdout forever?

Emminent domain wouldn't apply in this situation... I don't understand how, in this case, a court could force a property owner to sell.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

From article

But Trevino, who makes custom mattresses in an adjacent house, believes he is a victim of gentrification.

"It's just like what's happened on Washington Avenue," he said of the commercial development. "Here in the First Ward, they're grabbing up property like hotcakes. They want to redo the First Ward. Everyone wants to live downtown."

I feel for him.. However. I don't feel an individual can be a victim of gentrifcation. A community can.

He shouldn't be mad at Target, the developers, or the other communities that want the Target there.

If he and the nearby surrounding community had joined together and decided as one to not sell out, there would be no target today and he'd still have his community. If he wants to blame gentrification, he needs to blame the owner of the first property that sold out.

Edited by Highway6

If a holdout flat out refuses.. what legal recourse does the developer have ?

Let's say..If the owner is in enough of financial standing to hold on to his property, and afford the taxes from the rising property value. Can he holdout forever?

Emminent domain wouldn't apply in this situation... I don't understand how, in this case, a court could force a property owner to sell.

The Supreme Court already ruled (in the New Loudon, Conn case) that land can be seized by eminent domain and sold to developers if it will "spur economic growth" in an area.

I've read somewhere recently that some states are considering legislation to limit this type of activity. However, here in Texas, with our no zoning and our big noisy freeways plopped in folks' backyards, I doubt the homeowner would stand a chance.

In the end, though, everyone has a price, and I think they just dangled enough green in front of this guy.

Trust me, I feel for the guy, but the author does juice the story up a bit. Does anyone know the history of the area? Has it ever been a thriving neighborhood? I'm not that much younger than the owner, and I don't ever remember a time when that immediate area was anything other than the light industrial it was/is.

Trust me, I feel for the guy, but the author does juice the story up a bit. Does anyone know the history of the area? Has it ever been a thriving neighborhood? I'm not that much younger than the owner, and I don't ever remember a time when that immediate area was anything other than the light industrial it was/is.

The property east of this guy facing Sawyer was Rose Scrap Metal-my main source-now on Center ;) . It was not a neighborhood as some of us might define it but it was their home. In any event, they sold and are moving.

B)

From the Houston Press story:

In August commercial photographer Mark Green built a swanky new production studio on Sawyer Street near the Trevino property. "I wanted to get back into a more artistic, industrial area," Green explains. Now he's faced with the challenge of "trying to be creative and artistic next to a Target."

Mistergreen gettin' some press time.

Interesting how the printed press works. I actually did not say what he wrote. And I do not recall saying that it was "a challenge". Just that it was a different dynamic. Also, I am "across from a Target" not next to.

However I do think the descriptor "swanky" is cool.

From the Houston Press story:

However I do think the descriptor "swanky" is cool.

Too bad you don't live there. It could then be called a 'Swankienda'.

You still got a ways to go to be 'mythic', though. I believe that term has been reserved elsewhere. :)

Edited by RedScare

• 3 weeks later...

The yard is filled with an assortment of fruit trees, including avocado, fig, grapefruit, lemon, mango and pear. "This one I grew from the seeds of an apple I bought at H-E-B," Oscar says.

Sure, he could have moved the house, but the trees? That would have been a real challenge.

But the real point is that he had to move at all. To many people this is a matter of little or no consequence; a house is a house, and a bigger one in a better neighborhood is always preferable. This isn't true for everyone. Ever read Gone With The Wind? In times of trouble, Scarlett always returns to Tara, whether physically or in her mind. It's a constant for her in a sea of turmoil, an emotional anchor.

I can identify with that sort of mentality. The house in which I grew up was finally sold last year, yet in some respects it's still "mine". My parents lived there for more than fifty years, and I know it like the back of my hand. To some of us a house represents a sort of stability, and its loss is a sad occasion indeed.

The diagonal line between the 1st and 6th wards is apparently arbitrary. However, it seems to make it clear that the Target site would have been 1st ward, as would be everything east of it.

I grew up in this area from '78-'89. We always knew it as 1st ward. A friend of the family lived where the Target's going up, they gave her a pretty good deal for her house. Our family was renting a house right across Crocket Elementary what is now the schools parking lot. I told my mom about all the development going on she said " I told your dad he should of bought something in that area while it was still cheap" :angry2:

dbigtex56 Posted Yesterday, 12:19 PM

I can identify with that sort of mentality. The house in which I grew up was finally sold last year, yet in some respects it's still "mine". My parents lived there for more than fifty years, and I know it like the back of my hand. To some of us a house represents a sort of stability, and its loss is a sad occasion indeed

So true. I still remember everything about our old house, from the outside plumbing to the holes in the floor, to the stains in the ceiling from where water leaked in. As crappy as the house was we had a great time as a family there, it wasn't until much later that I realized we were poor. I wouldn't trade that entire time for anything though ;)

Is this for sure? If so that would be good....as I would prefer to go this one as opposed to the next closest one in the galleria.
Is this for sure? If so that would be good....as I would prefer to go this one as opposed to the next closest one in the galleria.

I dont know if it is for sure, but this is what 24 Hr Fitness employees are telling prospective members.

I dont know if it is for sure, but this is what 24 Hr Fitness employees are telling prospective members.

You are right...they said they are currently constructing a 24 Hour fitness and it should be ready around July of this year. They said it is on top of an already existing building so I am not sure where they are talking about.

You are right...they said they are currently constructing a 24 Hour fitness and it should be ready around July of this year. They said it is on top of an already existing building so I am not sure where they are talking about.

well i feel pretty darn lucky.. i own a property about 3 blocks away from the new target.. im just waiting for someone to knock on my door and give me a gooooooood offer..hahaha

just yesterday i went to work out at 24 hour fitness and one of the employeee told me the same thing.. it would be nice to have a 24 hour fitness around the area....

well i feel pretty darn lucky.. i own a property about 3 blocks away from the new target.. im just waiting for someone to knock on my door and give me a gooooooood offer..hahaha

just yesterday i went to work out at 24 hour fitness and one of the employeee told me the same thing.. it would be nice to have a 24 hour fitness around the area....

Except they're not open 24 hours <_<

Except they're not open 24 hours <_<

yeah true.. but some are open 24 hours... like the meyerland, galleria, voss, san jancinto, gulf freeway.. it all depends... on the club location itself..

it would be nice to have a movie theater, a supermarket, applebess or chillis, and a 24 hour fitness, and a typical starbucks.... in this Sawyer Heights Village.. that would bring in BIG crowds because theres nothing of that kind in this area.. trust me. i live 4 blocks away..

i have to travel all the way to 45 & west road for a walmart, to 610 & post oak for a gym, to 11 st and sheperd for nearest supermarket, to 290 and dacoma for a chillis or benigans, to south shepard and west gray for a starbucks.and ect.....

Edited by deliriouz

i have to travel all the way to 45 & west road for a walmart, to 610 & post oak for a gym, to 11 st and sheperd for nearest supermarket, to 290 and dacoma for a chillis or benigans, to south shepard and west gray for a starbucks.and ect.....

Or, you could go to W. Gray for all of them (except for Wal-Mart, but who needs one with Target next door?).

it would be nice to have a movie theater, a supermarket, applebess or chillis, and a 24 hour fitness, and a typical starbucks.... in this Sawyer Heights Village.. that would bring in BIG crowds because theres nothing of that kind in this area.. trust me. i live 4 blocks away..

Just a thought, but I think you might be happier living in The Woodlands.

Oh good god, can i put you out of your misery now?