Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like we have an opening date. Saw a sign on the 'oil derrick' today at Sawyer Heights and it says "Target opening July 23rd"....

WOOHOO!!!!

Never again will I have to make my way to that San Feilpe location!!! Which is a great store by the way as there are ALWAYS tons of register lines open, but ghetting there...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd like to know if the city is going to require the developer to widen or improve the Taylor/Sawyer access to the Target site. If you drive or ride a bike (as I do) on this section of road, it is a wreck. Too many big trucks from the Mahatma plant and not enough road maintenance.

If you go all the way back to the first post in this thread, it will answer most of your questions.

BTW, I noticed they are putting up a brick facade. May not look too bad for a big box. At least it won't look like a big blue and white Wal-Mart. I'd like to know if any other tenants have signed on. I'm curious which chain restaurants we'll be subjected too.

wow. This really says a lot about the amenities located in our inner loop neighborhoods when we are anticipating a new Target to open. When I saw the thread title, I also though this was being praised for an urban design but this is nothing more than a South Main Target. I know many may disagree with me or for the most part really could care less but are population is hardly progressive when dealing with the development patterns of this city.

Speaking of that Atlanta Target, I am surprised so many here know about it. I have friends who live in that neighborhood of Atlanta who claim that neighborhood sold its soul to the devil by building a development focused on nothing but big box retailers in a neighborhood where mom and pop stores are king. Atleast the development attempted to be urban.

Street widening is scheduled to begin.... tomorrow (Feb. 16). I was talking to the construction company that is doing the site work. The plans call for adding room to facilitate a turn lane in the middle.

When it's done, it will be smoooooth as silk. I'm not sure how they'll deal with the truck traffic.

Yes, it is going to be a pretty standard Target. I saw one in NW Austin that seems to have the same design. There will be a few columns in front to give it a little style, but it is pretty ordinary. A nice asset for my business to have it across the street though.

I ask constantly and there are no hints as to what else might go in the center.

Anyone have any updates on how "pedestrian/bike friendly" Target is actually going to be? That was one of the main themes in the original hoopla around the new Target. If I recall there was even supposed to be a bike path running diagonally across the plot.

I am getting concerned that it will look and function identically to every other surburbia Target out there. At some point too I recall hearing that the parking lot concrete would be "broken-up" with trees. However, now that the concrete is poured, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Edited by cwrm4

I drove by the 'new' Target development yesterday and drove up into the parking lot and all I can say is, "unimpressed". I was at a local neighborhood meeting where the developers came in and talked about how this was going to be unlike anything else inside the loop, trees, greenspaces, a style that fits in with the history of the neighborhood, etc etc and, while I realize it isn't finished yet, it's pretty much just a Target like in the suburbs, lots of concrete....

I'll reserve final judgement for when it's finished, but as of now, like I said, unimpressed so far....

wow. This really says a lot about the amenities located in our inner loop neighborhoods when we are anticipating a new Target to open.

Ain't that the truth.

Im still excited about it though!

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

... the developers came in and talked about how this was going to be unlike anything else inside the loop, trees, greenspaces, a style that fits in with the history of the neighborhood, etc etc and, while I realize it isn't finished yet, it's pretty much just a Target like in the suburbs, lots of concrete....

HOOK, LINE, and SINKER

I heard that a two story target was going up on Westhimer in a mix use development. Is that true:

Similar Development:

1012tar.jpg

324north75.jpg

Take a look at some people in St. Louis complaining about this Target center not being "Urban Enough" when Houston would die to have a Target Like that. Then agian there are always people in Houston to complain no matter how urban something is.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/archives/000154.php

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone here confirm or deny the rumor of a Whole Foods going in??

I haven't heard that rumor...where did it come from?

If this Target has a grocery, don't plan on a Whole Foods.

I think this is just a regular target...the only groceries I've seen are in SuperTargets...but groceries would be nice.

B)