Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

The plan was always for a regular target with an expanded grocery section, not a super target. It has a coffee place up front (starbucks).

Like all other targets it serves the function of convenience. It seems maybe some of the visitors to this target were expecting a different store. It is built like any other target.

I live in the heights and use it for the function it serves. This is for kitchen and bathroom items that I can easily run over to target and get at fair prices. The expanded grocery section allows me to get OJ, milk, bread or other items that I run out of. It definitely is more convenient than any other place in the vicinity.

Overall this is a plus for the neighborhood. :)

On another note the demolition of the old warehouse on the north side of Sawyer heights is complete. As soon as the torn down material is trucked away the progress for the heights can continue.

Also, the new bank on the property is coming along just fine. It will be a fine building!

This is where the apatments are going where the warehouses are torn down, I posted a picture over a month ago in this thread.

Just got off the phone with someone from the PM company (super nice). I took the opportunity to ask her what was happening here. She told me the following (and gave me permission to share). I wont lie to you. This isn't the best of news...

Confirmed...

Chick Fil A

American Mattress

Payless Shoes

Banks we already know about

In the works...

Chilis

Starbucks

She didn't know anything about a 24 hour fitness, urban myth I guess. They left space for Target to be able to expand into a SuperTarget if they choose.

The apartments are supposed to be high end, so maybe that will drive better future options than mattresses and cheap shoes...

Just got off the phone with someone from the PM company (super nice). I took the opportunity to ask her what was happening here. She told me the following (and gave me permission to share). I wont lie to you. This isn't the best of news...

Confirmed...

Chick Fil A

American Mattress

Payless Shoes

In the works...

Chilis

Starbucks

She didn't know anything about a 24 hour fitness, urban myth I guess. They left space for Target to be able to expand into a SuperTarget if they choose.

The apartments are supposed to be high end, so maybe that will drive better future options than mattresses and cheap shoes...

Oh joy, all we are missing is a pay-day loan place and a dry cleaners. Guess I'm not getting the HEB I was hoping for.

Wow, Chili's thats awesome. I mean I know I look at all the restaurants inside the loop, with variety and are locally operated and a unique experience, and just wish a Chili's would come in. Nothing like pretending I was in the woodlands when there is something much, much better just down the street.....

I'll be curious to hear which best buy rumor is true - half the people think its going by Gulfgate and half think its going in the Sawyer Heights area.

How is the mattress/ cheap shoe market not saturated yet? Do people buy new matresses every 3 months?

How is the mattress/ cheap shoe market not saturated yet? Do people buy new matresses every 3 months?

I've been wondering the same thing. I mean, it's not like they're cheap either. How does a store that sells name brand (read: expensive) matresses stay in business at Shepherd/11th?

I just don't get why these companies or developers feel this kind of stuff is needed in this location? You know one of the worst parts about the Chili's? If and when it closes, it will sit vacant forever b/c no one wants to start a local restaurant with the cost of making the building not so Chili-ish.

You'd be surprised.

Not the same market, I know, but when I lived in Ann Arbor a local chain (Bill Knapp's) went under. They had two locations, each in a stand-alone Chili's-sized building at the edge of a strip mall. One was off the main highway on the east side of town, and one on the west.

The west side location became Zingerman's Roadhouse, a restaurant spun off of a locally popular deli. They have the most awesome retro red neon sign out front. They charge $14 for a mac and cheese plate, and people actually pay it. (Thus is the hold the Magic of Zingerman's has over the Ann Arbor populace).

The east side location was renovated and re-opened as a La Shish, which is a pretty decent middle eastern chain that got its start in Detroit.

I think it's pretty easy for local chains or indepedents to re-purpose restaurants, since the kitchen is there already.

Based on my observations, a large majority of those who dwell in the newish apartments that litter Studewood (and soon Sawyer Heights) are single or newly married twenty-somethings that grew up in Kingwood or Sugarland, and moved to "downtown" after A&M because that's what everyone does for a few years. As soon as they hit 28 or so, they'll be married, expecting, and happily moving back to the 'burbs, where a night out means baby-rack ribs at 6 pm.

These people will be looking forward to the opening of Chili's @ Sawyer Heights. Reminds them of home. And makes them realize they want to move back.

Wow, Chili's thats awesome. I mean I know I look at all the restaurants inside the loop, with variety and are locally operated and a unique experience, and just wish a Chili's would come in. Nothing like pretending I was in the woodlands when there is something much, much better just down the street.....

I'll be curious to hear which best buy rumor is true - half the people think its going by Gulfgate and half think its going in the Sawyer Heights area.

I didn't think many inner loop residents ate at chili's??? there are too many good restaurants inside the loop.

I spoke with the lady from Wulfe and co earlier this week. she told me best buy is opening may 2007 at gulfgate. that is the only confirmed tenant on the new section.

Based on my observations, a large majority of those who dwell in the newish apartments that litter Studewood (and soon Sawyer Heights) are single or newly married twenty-somethings that grew up in Kingwood or Sugarland, and moved to "downtown" after A&M because that's what everyone does for a few years. As soon as they hit 28 or so, they'll be married, expecting, and happily moving back to the 'burbs, where a night out means baby-rack ribs at 6 pm.

:lol:

Except for wendyps. ;)

Confirmed...

Chick Fil A

American Mattress

Payless Shoes

In the works...

Chilis

Starbucks

Another snooze center, just like Gulfgate. I too am surprised the retail offerings are so brown-paper-bag but I guess we shouldn't forget that the customer base is pulled from a large area. I would also have to guess that, in a new center, the tried and true are the first to step up to the plate and lease. There are plenty of non-generic eateries and shopping fair close so perhaps the bland was what was missing.

As for mattresses, they're like butts; everyone's got one and maybe they make such a killing on each one that they're profitable without high volume. The apartment scene, as cwrm4 mentioned, is definitely a factor too in all of this.

I didn't think many inner loop residents ate at chili's??? there are too many good restaurants inside the loop.

My previous post was entirely sarcastic - i don't care where Chili's builds, I'm not going there. Same goes for Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and the rest of the Darden's gang

Edited by hokieone

Wasn't there a Chili's in the River Oaks shopping center, near the laugh stop? It went away and was replaced with Cafe Jadeite (sp?) or something like that. I wonder what made them decide to retry the inner-loop market.

It's like applebee's left houston 10 yrs ago because of poor business and now they are returning. a friend from florida loved it and took me. well, it's still as bad as it was 10 yrs ago.

Yes, but lately there seem to be more so I hardly get noticed. I suppose the next step will be to start announcing the store specials in English every now and then.

I know what you mean about the Gulfgate HEB...instead of making it nice, they turned it into a Fiesta...if people want Fiesta, they will go there..they should be trying to improve the neighborhood, but I do love the 80`s dance music they play there. You must be the other cracker I saw...hahah...and are the demographics of the neighborhood changing or is it just me...kinda noticed it at the store last 6 months

I know what you mean about the Gulfgate HEB...instead of making it nice, they turned it into a Fiesta...if people want Fiesta, they will go there..they should be trying to improve the neighborhood, but I do love the 80`s dance music they play there. You must be the other cracker I saw...hahah...and are the demographics of the neighborhood changing or is it just me...kinda noticed it at the store last 6 months

I think every HEB i've seen is basically the same utilitarian grocery store. I find Fiesta a little more "rugged". IMO, I think HEB has improved the neighborhood. One thing that just amazes me about the store is how much of certain merchadise they go through daily, particularly bread and milk. in the last 2 months, they've completely scoured their merchandise to eliminate slow selling items such as knorr vegetable soup mix. as for demographics, while they are not the majority, there are plenty of caucasians there. I saw my 2nd grade teacher a few weeks ago shopping there. I will say that the marshall's/ross stores there draw the caucasian sect from midtown/montrose since you can find better deals there.

:lol:

Except for wendyps. ;)

ahem...

Based on my observations, a large majority of those who dwell in the newish apartments -86 year old HOUSE that litter Studewood (and soon Sawyer Heights) are single or newly married - nope twenty-somethings - is wish that grew up in Kingwood - never even BEEN to Kingwood or Sugarland, and moved to "downtown" after A&M - GIG 'EM because that's what everyone does for a few years. As soon as they hit 28 - too late or so, they'll be married, expecting, and happily moving back to the 'burbs, where a night out means baby-rack ribs at 6 pm. - fine, crush my pipe dream

however, I can be known to go through mattresses at an uncommon speed, so I'll be just thrilled when that store opens... :o

Edited by wendyps

These people will be looking forward to the opening of Chili's @ Sawyer Heights. Reminds them of home. And makes them realize they want to move back.

Grew up in Katy, got married, had a kid, moved to the Heights. I think the thing that would keeps young'ins out of the city is the cost. Getting a small parcel of land for 350K+ is not for most starters. Thank god we were able to stay... I'll never return to burbtown.

Cheers!

Does anyone think that Wal Mart investors may try to capitalize in the inner loop as well since Target already made an investment inside the loop ? Just curious . . not a big fan of Wal Mart.

For the sake of poor people, I'd certainly hope so. But if they did, it'd probably be Near Northside, Fifth Ward, East End, or Third Ward. I'd think that Near Northside or East End would be the prime candidates, as there are a number of large suitable tracts with good access in each neighborhood.

Don't worry; the Heights will be spared. They probably don't want your business anyway.

Well there is a Wal Mart near the Eastside already which is on 45 South exit Monroe .

The reason I am not a big fan if Wal Mart near by to the Heights is maybe just maybe do you think this would effect the local stores C & D , ACE , Buchanons, 19th street , local pet and feed stores etc . . .

there's no walmart at monroe. the nearest is the almeda location which opened less than a yr ago.

Edited by musicman

Well there is a Wal Mart near the Eastside already which is on 45 South exit Monroe .

The reason I am not a big fan if Wal Mart near by to the Heights is maybe just maybe do you think this would effect the local stores C & D , ACE , Buchanons, 19th street , local pet and feed stores etc . . .

No, No, No, No, and No.

If Lowes, Home Depot, Target, and Houton Garden Center didn't kill 'em, WalMart won't do it either.

For the sake of poor people, I'd certainly hope so. But if they did, it'd probably be Near Northside, Fifth Ward, East End, or Third Ward. I'd think that Near Northside or East End would be the prime candidates, as there are a number of large suitable tracts with good access in each neighborhood.

Don't worry; the Heights will be spared. They probably don't want your business anyway.

Actually, if Wally World does decide to try and move in to this part of town, it will have nothing to do with saving money for poor people. I can't find the article to link to, but there have bee several news stories lately about Wal-mart's new concept, which will be "higher end" to attract the Target loving, yuppie and dink crowd. I feel confident that's what they would try to bring inside the loop. Either way, I hope they keep their stores far, far away from me. I hate Wal-mart.

No, No, No, No, and No.

If Lowes, Home Depot, Target, and Houton Garden Center didn't kill 'em, WalMart won't do it either.

I agree. Those stores stay around b/c people in the neighborhood want them here.

a rumor today i heard from my aunt who does the walking thing at northline. she said the mgmt is trying to get a Walmart there.