Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

Well, here's what I've observed...my sister, who also lives in the Heights (though, bless her heart, still has one foot in the Old South), went right after Target opened. I asked her what she thought, and she said "nice store, but I didn't see any other white people in there".

However, the customer demographic was definitely not what i was expecting. I'd say fully 70% of the people in there previously shopped at the Dollar General on Cavalcade. Not what I'd expect at a Target...I admit that my experience at the one on San Felipe generally makes me think of the place as being full of mid-twenties women looking for candles and picture frames to fill up their Gables apartments.

Obviously, the observations from my one visit Monday night may not be representative of the whole picture, but it makes me wonder what other tenants will fill out the complex.

If I were a developer and tracking the actual demographic that frequents the anchor store, I might be more inclined to put in an ACE Cash Express and an AutoZone instead of a La Madeliene and a Whole Foods. I didn't see many people during my visit who looked like they would buy crepes and soy milk, but I did see a few folks using jumper cables in the parking lot.

I am slightly disturbed by the "no white people" comment, but I'm going to move past it...

Anyway, this has not been my experience at the new Target at all. It's been a mix of people everytime I've been there. A mix I would say that is very representative of the different neighborhoods it serves. Plus, I know that all my Heights yuppie friends have shopped there multiple times ^_^

Perhaps it was the whole Monday night thing, as most people who work until 6 or later (like my husband and myself) do our shopping on the weekends.

The Memorial City Target attracts quite a diverse mix of people as well, and that's located in a pretty "upscale" mall.

I agree that the clientele of the new Sawyer Heights Target is reflective of the neighborhood as a whole. I'd be surprised if it looked like it was in the middle of River Oaks or something.

And the last thing we need in that shopping center is a Whole Foods. What is really necessary is a Trader Joe's.

A girl can dream, can't she? ^_^

Here come the clever anti target posts!

MiDTOWNeR - do you care to elaborate? I had a somewhat frightening experience that I felt was appropriate to share in this forum, as many people who shop there have been reading it. I am a young woman and don't enjoy being harassed in the parking lot of any store. I am not anti-target...I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing actually. If you feel my post was meant to scare folks away from shopping there, you have misread it and you are mistaken.

MiDTOWNeR - do you care to elaborate? I had a somewhat frightening experience that I felt was appropriate to share in this forum, as many people who shop there have been reading it. I am a young woman and don't enjoy being harassed in the parking lot of any store. I am not anti-target...I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing actually. If you feel my post was meant to scare folks away from shopping there, you have misread it and you are mistaken.

Your experience can happen almost anywhere. Why it was so noteoworhty in the parking lot of target is bizarre.

But i was there this evening and there a very sexy security guard standing just inside the front entrance. check him out next time honey!

I am slightly disturbed by the "no white people" comment, but I'm going to move past it...

What are you distrurbed about? I have been several times and noticed that CRACKERS are definately minorities in this store.

Facts is facts! No evil plot or anything.

The Memorial City Target attracts quite a diverse mix of people as well, and that's located in a pretty "upscale" mall.

goes to show that large families can do quite well on non taxed income. I'll bet the new Wachovia that has started construction will be looking to tap into sum of dat!

What is really necessary is a Trader Joe's.

AMEN sister!

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

Are the apartments listed somewhere else? On the Property Commerce website, they are gone from the plans now....personally, I'd rather have more retail than another apt complex...

What I'd like to see is some mixed use, like what they have in midtown. Let's have retail and restaurant space with lofts or apartments above... Just no more pink brick townhouses please. I can't stand everything looking the same :wacko:

Boy, I sure didn't realize how many bigoted snobs lived in the Heights. Not sure this is the right neighborhood for you if you do not enjoy living in a true urban neighborhood. Move you and your snobby white families back to Jasper and get out of our neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

In the Sept 7th Wall Street Journal there is an article about Wal-Mart changing up the format of it's stores. In the article it clearly in plain english explains how in some stores with a strong African American customer base there would be expanded sections of the stores for that demographic group.

If Wal Mart via the Wall Street Journal can explain how they are tailoring their stores to the likes of the majority of the customers who shop in specific stores...It is perfectly okay to say that the new Target does not have a large white customer base. Get off your hollier than thou throne.

HEB tailors it's product by location.

Stop at the HEB at Gulfgate to see it for yourself. Then stop by the HEB in Santa Fe that caters to the NASA workers.

I am treated as an oddity as the Gulfgate location. "Look, it's a gringo!".

I shop at the HEB Gulfgate store about twice a week and have never had that type of experience! One of the managers there told me that, for each HEB store, the assortment of merchandise is determined by the socioeconomic level of the neighborhood in which it's located as well as the area's ethnicity.

What I really miss in the Gulfgate store is a decent assortment of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream (it's merchandised by the B&J rep who has not responded to management's requests) and those greenhouse-grown English cucumbers. What I like is finding corn tortillas made without preservatives and an in-house Dollar Store aisle.

That's also why the Kroger stores are called Signature stores, they are the "signature" of the majority demographic population in their neighborhood. Hence the reason the reason the West Gray Kroger is so vastly different from the Shepherd Kroger, yet they are both Signature stores...I would guess more and more businesses will start to go in this direction...

The steel for the new Wachovia Bank branch is going up. I wish they'd start up my Amegy branch.

Do you know for certain that Amegy is building/opening in Sawyer Heights? That would be great. I have waited for a branch in this area for ages.

HEB tailors it's product by location.

Stop at the HEB at Gulfgate to see it for yourself. Then stop by the HEB in Santa Fe that caters to the NASA workers.

I am treated as an oddity as the Gulfgate location. "Look, it's a gringo!".

Yes, but lately there seem to be more so I hardly get noticed. I suppose the next step will be to start announcing the store specials in English every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

moved my post to the original discussion thread.

Moderators please close this one, sorry for the inconvienience.

PS: Thanks Htowngirl :)

Edited by C2H

Although was happy to see new retail development in the heights, I saw the target store and was fairly disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be a super target? Anyone know if it was scaled down? :(

Common misconception, I think. :)

There's a lot of discussion on this thread about the building of it.

Does anybody have any recent pictures of this development? I used to live in the Heights(now in LA) and I loved the charm of the neighborhood. It's exciting hearing about all the new developments for Houston. Hopefully projects like Houston Pavilions and the new downtown park become a reality in the near future.

Although was happy to see new retail development in the heights, I saw the target store and was fairly disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be a super target? Anyone know if it was scaled down? :(

The plan was always for a regular target with an expanded grocery section, not a super target. It has a coffee place up front (starbucks).

Like all other targets it serves the function of convenience. It seems maybe some of the visitors to this target were expecting a different store. It is built like any other target.

I live in the heights and use it for the function it serves. This is for kitchen and bathroom items that I can easily run over to target and get at fair prices. The expanded grocery section allows me to get OJ, milk, bread or other items that I run out of. It definitely is more convenient than any other place in the vicinity.

Overall this is a plus for the neighborhood. :)

On another note the demolition of the old warehouse on the north side of Sawyer heights is complete. As soon as the torn down material is trucked away the progress for the heights can continue.

Also, the new bank on the property is coming along just fine. It will be a fine building!

The plan was always for a regular target with an expanded grocery section, not a super target. It has a coffee place up front (starbucks).

Like all other targets it serves the function of convenience. It seems maybe some of the visitors to this target were expecting a different store. It is built like any other target.

I live in the heights and use it for the function it serves. This is for kitchen and bathroom items that I can easily run over to target and get at fair prices. The expanded grocery section allows me to get OJ, milk, bread or other items that I run out of. It definitely is more convenient than any other place in the vicinity.

Overall this is a plus for the neighborhood. :)

On another note the demolition of the old warehouse on the north side of Sawyer heights is complete. As soon as the torn down material is trucked away the progress for the heights can continue.

Also, the new bank on the property is coming along just fine. It will be a fine building!

I drove by that area the other day and saw a sign that indicated there was going to be a bar b que joint there.

I drove by that area the other day and saw a sign that indicated there was going to be a bar b que joint there.

Was it a hand-painted sign? I thought the same thing, and pointed it out to my boyfriend (he works with construction companies), and he said it was a sign directing traffic to a BBQ party for completing the height (there's a word for it, I forgot it) of the bank building.

• 1 month later...