Sawyer Heights Village Developments

flatline

Sign on the door says, "Now Open".

Woo Hoo - Im there after work !!

Update: Just finished shopping - they opened today - they are having a few growing pains....the auto doors didnt work !! It's kinda weird, there are more employees walking around than customers !!! Nice store though - they do have food - but not produce - lots of new store specials....

Edited by ssullivan

Just went shopping there. They have an expanded food section which covers most necessities but there is no meat or produce section. Since I was there I picked up sald dressing, frozen broccoli, dishwasher fluid and an eight pack of white castle burgers. :P

Ohh yeahh the landscaping on sawyer Taylor is complete.

Hey hey! Target is open yea for hurray! We stopped by this afternoon and it's nice. I would highly recommend going before the 'official' opening because it's nice to roam around in a quiet store and check it all out. Yes, they have a much bigger food selection than a 'normal' Target. Talked to the manager and he said that it was somewhere between a regular Target and Super Target with regards to food.

It's great to have it here.

Edited by houstonray

We stopped by last night and my wife was like a kid in a candy shop. She kept smiling as she was able to find her size in every garment she picked up. The store turned out really nice and the staff are super helpful.

I was going to wait until Sunday, but you just sold me with every garment in her size comment. :D

It is shiny with that new store smell :D I ran into LilyHeights and looked around wondering how many other HAIFers were there...

I was impressed with the food section, much more than I expected. And the furniture selection was nicer than I usually see. It even has a Smith and Hawken isle. I walked out having paid my cover charge...I wonder if they can just take a direct deposite out of my check every month!!!

I went yesterday and I too wondered who was a Haifer and who wasn't. My first impression was how nice the downtown skyline looked looming over the shopping center.

We went last night, as Wendy mentioned. What fun!

Whose family was it with the little boy who was so excited about being "in the *new* target?" I'm sure it was someone on here....we thought that was really cute. He'd obviously been caught up in the excitement too.

I hope that the store continues to be as helpful as they were last night.

Guest danax
I went yesterday and I too wondered who was a Haifer and who wasn't. My first impression was how nice the downtown skyline looked looming over the shopping center.

True. The perfect distance for skyline viewing from a balcony or living room. I envision many midrise condos going up over there as the old industry fades away. The Target store itself is obviously no big deal but this represents a symbolic first step in the reinvention of this area.

I'm wondering if the area will become known as Sawyer Heights over time. I don't believe that it had ever been called that until this center was created and now, with the big oil derrick sign now looming as a landmark, I'm guessing that it will. And it will need a Sawyer Heights Park somewhere to anchor the neighborhood, somewhere along the hike & bike. Let's hope the city sees that.

True. The perfect distance for skyline viewing from a balcony or living room. I envision many midrise condos going up over there as the old industry fades away. The Target store itself is obviously no big deal but this represents a symbolic first step in the reinvention of this area.

I'm wondering if the area will become known as Sawyer Heights over time. I don't believe that it had ever been called that until the this center was created and now, with the big oil derrick sign now looming as a landmark, I'm guessing that it will. And it will need a Sawyer Heights Park somewhere to anchor the neighborhood, somewhere along the hike & bike. Let's hope the city sees that.

I thought I had heard rumors about one of the bike trails being developed in The Heights making its way down to Sawyer Heights... Anyone? :unsure:

I thought I had heard rumors about one of the bike trails being developed in The Heights making its way down to Sawyer Heights... Anyone? :unsure:

There's this thread...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2754

...and, this one...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=5178

I can't find the planned route on the CofH website. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Here's a PDF showing the proposed route. It is the green dotted line on 7th and Nicholson. The map is scanned in sideways, so it's a bit tough to read.

Edited by RedScare

We went last night, as Wendy mentioned. What fun!

Whose family was it with the little boy who was so excited about being "in the *new* target?" I'm sure it was someone on here....we thought that was really cute. He'd obviously been caught up in the excitement too.

*deleted unnecessary remark*

Edited by dbigtex56

i would like to see a HOOTERS around the sawyer heights village.. that would be nice.. wo hooo :P

Better yet, another BW3's. The place in midtown never has parking, and always busy, and the village is too far (and there is no parking)

And their sauce is spicier than h00ters. :P

Edited by Zippy

FYI for the new Target shoppers... I went to this store last night at ~8:30PM to pick somehting up quickly and was harassed in the parking lot by a guy looking for money. Well, I assume that is what he wanted - my friend and I gave him a stern 'NO' as soon as he got the 'I was wondering if you could help me out' words out of his mouth. He was targeting all the young women leaving the store. We high tailed it to the car and fortunately he did not follow us.

I called Target about this today and they seemend very concerned and took down a description. My friend also went there today and spoke with a manager about it. So, they are aware of the problem.

I did not see any security there, though they say that there is an undercover cop there all the time. Maybe he had left? It was close to closing time....

Just an FYI...ladies, be careful

Edited by InTheHeights

I went over there on Friday night (by bicycle) and there was a uniformed security guard out front. I would think they probably have someone there all the time - maybe they were busy at the back of the store?

I doubt the management will put up with panhandlers in the parking lot.

FYI for the new Target shoppers... I went to this store last night at ~8:30PM to pick somehting up quickly and was harassed in the parking lot by a guy looking for money. Well, I assume that is what he wanted - my friend and I gave him a stern 'NO' as soon as he got the 'I was wondering if you could help me out' words out of his mouth.

I'll bet you and your friend learned that on 'The Dog Whisperer'. Be the Pack Leader.

pp_mainpic_dogwhisperer.jpg

Hey, it works for pit bulls. Why not panhandlers? :P

I'll bet you and your friend learned that on 'The Dog Whisperer'. Be the Pack Leader.

pp_mainpic_dogwhisperer.jpg

Hey, it works for pit bulls. Why not panhandlers? :P

That dog wisperer guy does seem pretty amazing sometimes...

At any rate, the guy in the parking lot didn't appear to be homeless or a street person...just a scam artist / creepy guy. He was young and certainly looked like he had a home....his clothes weren't dirty or anything. He was just a creep that looked like he wanted to distract you while someone else grabbed yoru purse or something. Sketchy.

Maybe the guard left early? I dont know, I didn't see any guards or police, as it was close to closing time. This guy was there when we went in AND when we left...so he couldn't have avoided the cops for that long...

I've become obsessed with that show during reruns!!! glad I'm not the only one :D

Yeah, I got addicted last week. I even used a couple of his tricks on my poor pup, who had a habit of running out the door and down the street. Incredibly, I cured her of it in less than 24 hours. Now, she sits on the front porch with me without a leash. Pretty amazing.

Not sure what will happen when another dog comes by, though. Next training session, I suppose.

Back on topic, I've seen HPD at Target both times I went, including 6 pm on Sunday. Keep alerting the manager to the lurkers, though. The lurkers will leave if they keep getting harrassed.

Yeah, I got addicted last week. I even used a couple of his tricks on my poor pup, who had a habit of running out the door and down the street. Incredibly, I cured her of it in less than 24 hours. Now, she sits on the front porch with me without a leash. Pretty amazing.

Not sure what will happen when another dog comes by, though. Next training session, I suppose.

Back on topic, I've seen HPD at Target both times I went, including 6 pm on Sunday. Keep alerting the manager to the lurkers, though. The lurkers will leave if they keep getting harrassed.

Along with the old buildings the old characters will go. This is just more signs of change. B)

FYI for the new Target shoppers... I went to this store last night at ~8:30PM to pick somehting up quickly and was harassed in the parking lot by a guy looking for money. Well, I assume that is what he wanted - my friend and I gave him a stern 'NO' as soon as he got the 'I was wondering if you could help me out' words out of his mouth. He was targeting all the young women leaving the store. We high tailed it to the car and fortunately he did not follow us.

I called Target about this today and they seemend very concerned and took down a description. My friend also went there today and spoke with a manager about it. So, they are aware of the problem.

I did not see any security there, though they say that there is an undercover cop there all the time. Maybe he had left? It was close to closing time....

Just an FYI...ladies, be careful

Here come the clever anti target posts!

Well, here's what I've observed...my sister, who also lives in the Heights (though, bless her heart, still has one foot in the Old South), went right after Target opened. I asked her what she thought, and she said "nice store, but I didn't see any other white people in there". I just gave her a puzzled look.

So then on Monday morning I sensed an impending TP crisis and therefore decided it was time I checked out this hot new Target. I went about 7 pm on Monday night. Nobody hassled me, and every Target staffer, and customer I bumped into, couldn't have been nicer.

However, the customer demographic was definitely not what i was expecting. I'd say fully 70% of the people in there previously shopped at the Dollar General on Cavalcade. Not what I'd expect at a Target...I admit that my experience at the one on San Felipe generally makes me think of the place as being full of mid-twenties women looking for candles and picture frames to fill up their Gables apartments.

Obviously, the observations from my one visit Monday night may not be representative of the whole picture, but it makes me wonder what other tenants will fill out the complex.

If I were a developer and tracking the actual demographic that frequents the anchor store, I might be more inclined to put in an ACE Cash Express and an AutoZone instead of a La Madeliene and a Whole Foods. I didn't see many people during my visit who looked like they would buy crepes and soy milk, but I did see a few folks using jumper cables in the parking lot.