Sweeney Building At 310 Main St.

kylejack

• 8 years later...

310 Main Street is a three story building in downtown's Historic District. 

I'm not familiar with the various buildings in the Historic District and Market Square. Based on a light Google search, 310 Main is referred to as the Sweeney Building, "first occupied by [Houston jewelry business] Sweeney and Coombs."

spacer.png

spacer.png

Images are not mine but are from Loopnet.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Sweeney Building | 310 Main St.

I tried to locate past discussions about 310 Main using the search. There were some posts here and there but not many specifically about 310 Main.

On 6/20/2006 at 4:38 AM, mainvoice said:

Are the clubs and bars finally getting ready to come back strong again and pick up where they left off 3 years after light rail completion ? Pedestrian traffic on the Weekends seems like its continuing to get stronger. I found this Houston Chronicle link regarding Milan club at 809 Congress, and Biddles Lounge 1t 308 Main.http://blogs.chron.com/bartab/

Venue night club opened at the 720 Main this month. Is another club opening this month at 310 Main called-

The Office ?

On 3/26/2013 at 2:22 PM, kylejack said:

There was a new announcement that the Anvil crew is opening a tequila and mezcal bar at 310 Main, the old space for The Office.

Other posts pertaining to the mezcal bar Pastry War, the last occupant leasing the first floor.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/search/?q="pastry war"&updated_after=any&sortby=newest&search_and_or=and

And others about Tongue Cut Sparrow on the second floor.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/search/?q="tongue cut sparrow"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Last fall, hospitality group the Hospitable Viking (Cherry, Zenaku, The Commoner, the Rosemont), announced plans for a new bar at 310 Main. The bar's name and other details weren't shared at the time, but it will occupy the first floor that was previously home to the Pastry War.

I think the name of the bar may be Maneater.

A few days ago, the bar appeared under suggested accounts to follow on Instagram. One of the followers is the owner of the Hospitable Viking. I'm assuming Maneater is probably the company's latest concept opening at 310 Main.

Maneater's Instagram: @maneater_on_main

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Sweeney Building - 310 Main St.
  • The title was changed to Sweeney Building - 310 Main St
  • 3 months later...

Instead of Maneater, Hospitable Viking's bar concept at 310 Main St is Behind Closed Doors. It's in downtown Houston's Sweeney Building.

From the bar's bio on Instagram:

"Elevated cocktail experience in downtown Houston with retro vibes and a few surprises."

Behind Closed Doors opens next week, either October 26 or October 28.

https://www.instagram.com/bcd.htx

rczh7ho.jpg

Boa9fMb.jpg

"Are you ready for a cocktail in our Gold Room?"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjtJlg7paWc

wyaBdWA.jpg

6LMa23n.jpg

JIoK7Pw.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi Y’all! Made an account to be able to reply here. We are ApolloHOU @ApolloHOU on all social media. We are the current tenants on the 3rd floor of 310 Main St. I (co-creator Josh Hill) have been looking into the history of the building and came across this thread. We’re honored to be in a building with this history.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 2/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, ApolloHOU said:

Hi Y’all! Made an account to be able to reply here. We are ApolloHOU @ApolloHOU on all social media. We are the current tenants on the 3rd floor of 310 Main St. I (co-creator Josh Hill) have been looking into the history of the building and came across this thread. We’re honored to be in a building with this history.

GO STROS!!! 

On 2/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, ApolloHOU said:

I follow you guys on Instagram good stuff!