I Heard The Mayor's Speech On A Plan To Fight The Increase In Crime

trymahjong

I can’t say I remember the Mayor’s speech word for word but…………I gather the crux was a proposal to allow dozens and dozens of HPD officers will be hired for overtime……………is that really a viable plan to combat a 103% increase in crime in the fourth largest city in the US and over a land scan of 600 square miles?

9 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I can’t say I remember the Mayor’s speech word for word but…………I gather the crux was a proposal to allow dozens and dozens of HPD officers will be hired for overtime……………is that really a viable plan to combat a 103% increase in crime in the fourth largest city in the US and over a land scan of 600 square miles?

What did the mayor attribute the rise in crime to?

Full disclosure:

some parts of this speech are things I have always thought important=> supporting/improving mental health programs.

However, I have been involved in the HPD monthly community outreach program since 2006. I am only an observer

whohas been on the receivers end of countless explanations on the causes of crimes increases or decreases. A common

thread through all this has been the lack of physical bodies on the streets. Time and time again it was hammered in that

Houston was the  largest city with the smallest police force. Always the explanation for the low number of HPD officers was money. 

Now Mayor Turner brings $44 million up……..$44 million to fight crime……..but very little said about monies to provide

extensive hiring to up the  number of new officers actually on the street.

I am left puzzled.

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Full disclosure:

some parts of this speech are things I have always thought important=> supporting/improving mental health programs.

However, I have been involved in the HPD monthly community outreach program since 2006. I am only an observer

whohas been on the receivers end of countless explanations on the causes of crimes increases or decreases. A common

thread through all this has been the lack of physical bodies on the streets. Time and time again it was hammered in that

Houston was the  largest city with the smallest police force. Always the explanation for the low number of HPD officers was money. 

Now Mayor Turner brings $44 million up……..$44 million to fight crime……..but very little said about monies to provide

extensive hiring to up the  number of new officers actually on the street.

I am left puzzled.

It's tough to hire more police officers given the revenue cap and the inability of the City to really limit pay increases for police. Fire is a separate story. The Police and fire budget  currently exceeds property tax collections, and approach 60% of the general fund budget, which is made up of the items paid for out of property and sales tax receipts, and various other fees.

Okay all that seems true enough……..but if I’ve been fed the same ole same ole since 2006 and the basic parameters have changed and the overall goal is to have a growing city be safe so that it does continue to grow……….

COH didn’t seem in a hurry to put together anything…………16 years of not being in a hurry.

Why put out all the noise that our crime is directly attached to “ lack of bodies on the street”? And lack of bodies on the street is directly related to lack of money?

44 million is a lot of money.

Im still puzzled.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Okay all that seems true enough……..but if I’ve been fed the same ole same ole since 2006 and the basic parameters have changed and the overall goal is to have a growing city be safe so that it does continue to grow……….

COH didn’t seem in a hurry to put together anything…………16 years of not being in a hurry.

Why put out all the noise that our crime is directly attached to “ lack of bodies on the street”? And lack of bodies on the street is directly related to lack of money?

44 million is a lot of money.

Im still puzzled.

Turner is term-limited and will be out of a job in about 2 years.  I'm sure he's looking towards his next move, perhaps a senate or house run.  Nationally, the Democrats aligned themselves with the defund the police movement that's arguably (and optically) led to the increase in crime.  If he doesn't want to get swept away in the coming red wave/backlash against the mountain of issues for Democrats (inflation/rising interest rates (related to inflation)/the Afghanistan debacle/defund the police, covid, etc) he's got to stake out a more conservative position.

Has anyone seen any sort of good faith attempt to try to explain the increase in crime?  I'm not arguing that it hasn't increased . . . you can't argue with statistics.  I'd just say from my personal perception and experience, nothing has changed . . . I, for one, feel as "safe" as I did in 2019, but maybe I'm naive.  Is the violent crime mostly drug-related?  Is it mostly geographically isolated? 

There's a lot said about repeat offenders, but it's hard for me to understand how much that is a disingenuous political strategy versus if anything has really changed at the end of the day.  Like this Mattress Mack woman going on about "murder capital of the world" in the same sentence she's talking about "repeat offenders."  I mean you can't argue with 38 murders (or whatever the number is), but how many of those were caused by repeat offenders who wouldn't have been let out before the County instituted bail reform?  If the answer is 37 or even 5, well, then, I'd say it's pretty clear what has happened. 

And, when people say we need more police officers, OK that makes sense, but at the same time I don't necessarily a direct link between more police officers and a reduction in crime.  Is a big problem there are not enough police officers to respond to crimes timely?  Are there not enough officers to follow up, investigate, and "close cases"?  Or is the thought process really that if an HPD cruiser is driving around the neighborhood every 2 hours there will be less crime . . . I mean, I guess I could see that, but when you're talking about violent crimes (which is the major concern), crimes of passion, it's just difficult for me to see the link. 

I'm just such a cynic when it comes to politicians and the media covering this topic and I don't know why people don't start with basic questions like this. 

Edited by mattyt36

It’s coincidental that response time was mentioned.

I got this in email from Central 1&2 Division HPD/PIP officer.

How long is the response time for HPD to arrive after calling 911?
Houston Police, Chief Troy Finner: In 2021, HPD has responded to priority code 1 calls at an average of 5.96 minutes and priority code 2 calls at an average of 10.83 minutes (source: HPD June Monthly Operational Summary).

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/g/july-2021-town-hall_clip_image001.png

Additional Info: General Order 600-01: Response Management outlines the criteria used to guide response protocols. Response management is primarily based on the level of threat to human life and/or property and is considerate of the safety of citizens and officers. Examples of call types by priority code are also included in the general order.

Found this information on Informational Town Hall on Crime (houstontx.gov), it is from the Informational Town Hall on Crime Meeting from last July. 

I am not naive enough to believe that adding more HPD officers will magically lower the 103% increase rate. Of course more actual bodies driving by and personally observing crime as it happens will help.

For myself, it’s the thought of the  1/2 dozen or so backup HPD officers that leave their designated areas and go to support HPD officers at road rage or drive by shootings or jugging or parking lot  shootings.— biggest increase is in gun related events.
A few of those types of events and many patrol cars usually designated for patrol…..aren’t. 

I’m only civilian observer, Naively thinking more police officers  on the street would be a handy item in COH tool box to fight the  increases in gun related crime events, as well as crimes of passion.

Edited by trymahjong

Another Law Officer killed last night. When the Mayor has to appear with other Law Officers,  in front of press to acknowledge the event. I wonder what the private conversations are after wards between law enforcement and the Mayor ( about his plan to address crime surge)  after the press briefing is over.

• The title was changed to I Heard The Mayor's Speech On A Plan To Fight The Increase In Crime
  • 5 months later...