Handies Douzo - 4005 Montrose Blvd.

clutchcity94

Yep. I don't know if it's a second Handies Douzo location or not, even though that's the name listed. But it is a project from the team behind Handies Douzo.

I reached out to them last year regarding their Montrose plans. No one responded.

I also emailed reporters at Eater Houston, Houston Chronicle, Houston Food Finder, and others about this in early October of last year. Out of all the publications, I thought Eater would report this - it's the kind of information they typically report even if restaurants or bars choose not to comment until ready to announce on their own timeline. 

The chefs-owners of Handies Douzo and Kokoro seem to have a handful of other projects in the works.

In addition to this one, there's:

• one in planning on Washington Ave (previously reported by Eater as Fuku, but the publication never published an update of the tentative new name Aiko)

• one possibly still planned for Stomping Grounds (Garden Oaks) named Sora Sushi

• one in planning for the Autry Park mixed-use development.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

What’s the plan for the large shopping strip next to this place (3939 Montrose)? Seems like it’s mostly vacant, with a few tenants still left. Timberline Gym has long since relocated further south, and Canopy has been closed for almost 3 years. Would love to see an exciting new development in that spot as well.

In some ways, I feel like the respect and admiration longtime Houstonians have for Montrose is lost on Newstonians. Folks new to our city keep hearing about how great Montrose is, but unless you’re hip to all the new upcoming development that’s posted on this site, it’s really just a lot of vacant lots and uninspired strip malls.

For example, I don’t think any Newstonian would be more impressed by the way lower Westheimer looks as compared to something more put together like Heights Mercantile or Heights MKT. Montrose Collective, among others, will certainly change that. It’ll just take a while.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Formerly Snap Kitchen/Dirk’s Coffee - 4005 Montrose Blvd.
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

When I first moved to Montrose it was one of the few coffee shops around, now we have about a bunch of them within a half mile from where I live.

The way I see it you can never have enough coffee shops.  Especially if they offer beer 🍻 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I never knew this was once a coffee shop. Looking at the pics it looked like my type of spot! I could be way off base but the interior had a NY coffee shop vibe off of the pics that I’ve seen. Has anyone visited it before? 

As a kid my parents always got coffee here. It was a Dietrick's, there were two. Here and where upper hand salon is on Westheimer next to Lanier. I loved that one more because it had a fountain you could run through at the time haha. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, clutchcity94 said:

I see a dumpster parked out front, and looks like a permit was pulled last September by Heights’ sushi hand roll restaurant Handies Douzo.

Are they opening a second location?

A4E8C693-D19A-46FD-BE94-1CD18F99B85B.png

What site is this, to locate permit info?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I met one of the co-owners (Patrick) who said they hope to open by the end of December. He said it was Handies Douzo like the other one they own on 6th St. He mentioned the biggest problem they have been having is taggers. Newly painted and new asphalt. Looks like bar seating only from what I could see.

TTgnLoA.jpg

0sh2Jv7.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Handies Douzo - 4005 Montrose Blvd.
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

I use an iMac with the Safari browser and that pop doesn't show that for me. When I click on that it just shows "Share" only.

Well, maybe if you were a better contributor to the forum, then they would turn on the report feature for you 😜

• Haha 3

Looks like a bug to me.  I don't get the Report option, either, using any of these:

• Mac running Safari
  • Mac running Firefox
  • ThinkPad with Windows 10 running Chrome

Might be a group permissions setting, too, since Hindesky is a subscriber.  I'll look into it.

But, as always, if there's a problem, contact me directly: editor@houstonarchitecture.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1