The Woodlands

bachanon

Gala to celebrate 30 years of The Woodlands

By: LAUREN HUTTON , Villager staff 10/14/2004

George P. Mitchell, the founding father of The Woodlands, will return to the place where it all began 30 years ago.

The Houston oilman and entrepreneur who recently made the Forbes Four Hundred Richest in America List will serve as an honored guest at The Woodlands 30th Anniversary Gala Saturday, which will take a look back at the years of accomplishments and recognize the leaders of the future.

Mitchell said Monday that the idea for a master-planned community began long before he focused his stare in 1974 on the thick, green forests of what is now The Woodlands. And he saw more than just a bedroom community for Houston.

Three decades and $7.5 billion later, 85-year-old Mitchell will tell you his vision is pretty close to the reality with more than 5 million square feet of office space, 6 million worth of retail, 7.3 million of institutional and technical, and more than 1,200 businesses that employ more than 30,000 people.

"We have a good labor ratio working in and out of The Woodlands," he said. "We have great education, both private and public."

And the thick, green forests that attracted Mitchell to the area in the first place still stand today -- securing a permanent place in residents' brags about their hometown.

"The main thing we did do well is save the trees ... it's amazing how important that is to residents," he said. "Generally when you drive through, people say 'how the hell did they keep all those trees.'"

But as in any dream, Mitchell said some things did not make it to reality.

"We've done a fairly good job for middle-to-low income (families)," he said referring to part of his vision. "We have not had the mix of races that we wanted out there. "It's not the mix that Houston is; but we are doing better."

As for the future, Mitchell wants to see as much of the wood areas and open-air spaces remain as possible as the community grows.

But he is confident that Thomas J. D'Alesandro IV, current president and chief executive officer of The Woodlands Operating Company, shares his same vision.

"He has a real feel for the project," Mitchell said.

Despite its current controversial nature, Mitchell said he also stands by his original concept that The Woodlands eventually become part of the city of Houston.

"They have seven more years to work that out," he said referring to the moratorium on annexation. "(The Woodlands) needs the economic backing."

Mitchell said, for example, one reason he chose the location is because of the Houston Intercontinental Airport that Houston has poured millions of dollars into over the past few years.

"The Woodlands could not afford to do that," he said. "There are things they can do better and things The Woodlands can do better. They just need to work it out."

The gala that benefits Interfaith of The Woodlands also marks the opportunity to recognize this year's six Hometown Heroes that include four individuals and two businesses.

Honorees include State Sen. Tommy Williams, Bruce Tough, Sharon Leigh, Nancy Battle, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital and Boni's Dance and Performing Arts Studio.

Tickets to the event, which starts at 6 p.m. at The Woodlands Resort and Conference Center, have sold out due to high demand. But people may consider buying and donating a ticket to benefit Interfaith of The Woodlands.

Raffle tickets are still available for a one-week stay for six people at Crested Butte, Colo. or two round-trip tickets anywhere in the United States. Market auction item tickets are also available.

Prices of tickets are five for $20. You do not need to be present to win. For more information, e-mail Carolyn Davis, auction chair, at davisc@nhmccd.edu.

Lauren Hutton may be reached at lhutton@mail.hcnonline.net.

To learn more about "America's Hometown" history, see the special 30th anniversary magazine inside this week's Villager.

Congrats on 30 years of sprawl!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I like how they brag about the trees, because sure, they did keep many of them, the only problem is that the only trees they have are along roads, in front of retail, and in the still undeveloped parts. They pretty much clear cut for the houses.

A few months ago, I would have joined in deriding The Woodlands. In fact, I'm still not in a very good position to comment on it, having been there only once.

But think about it; we take pride in Houston's size - remember those vicious Houston vs Dallas threads? So where the hell are we going to put all those people? We could have development as usual, and it would eventually have reached -sprawled - to the area where The Woodlands is now located. Do you think a chaotic approach would have been better? Do you think uncoordinated growth would have left a single tree standing?

Yes, trees are going to have to be cut down to build houses, unless we can persuade people to live in treehouses. For anyone over 12 years old, this seems impractical. That George Mitchell made saving as many trees as possible a priority is commendable. That he forsaw a community that (unlike traditional suburbs) integrated industry and commercial areas with parkland and residential areas is visionary. And that he also desired a economically, racially and culturally diverse population is inspiring. Further, he embraces rather than rejects Houston, the city that made The Woodlands possible.

What's not to like?

(dedicated, with gratitude, to bachanon)

I like how they brag about the trees, because sure, they did keep many of them, the only problem is that the only trees they have are along roads, in front of retail, and in the still undeveloped parts. They pretty much clear cut for the houses.

This is a strange statement to me, also, for several reasons.

I live very near but not in the Woodlands, so I do spend quite a bit of time there for both business and pleasure. The Woodlands is one of the very few places where they do make a concerted effort not only to keep as many trees as possible when siting for developments, but also with their "covenants", they enforce standards to make sure those trees remain in place. In fact, when driving through the Woodlands, you see many, many trees and hardly notice the developments. Their sign ordinances are unbelievably strict, but it doesn't seem to deter businesses from paying top dollar to re-locate them. Some trees do have to be cut, of course, to put a house on a lot, but I sure wish other developers (in fact, just about every other community's developers) would take a couple of pages from the Woodlands playbook and cut out the slash and burn policy that is currently running rampant, especially through the Spring area, where I live. There are other reasons for rants about the Woodlands, which I won't go into here, but trying to slam them for their aesthetics is just not of them, IMHO. Their vision is not perfect, but at least they are pushing for perfection, a worthy goal.

It's a hollow complaint regarding sprawl in Houston, DFW, Atlanta, Phoenix etc. The great population growth in these and other southern citities has been made up primarily of young families who are chosing the specific neighborhood qualities which result in suburban sprawl. There is nothing wrong with buying a new house with a yard to raise a family.

thanks for the regards, dbigtex.

there is a special 30th anniversary section in this past weeks Villager. unfortunately, it is not available online. it gives detailed explanations about what inspired the woodlands and what is happening now. it explains how george mitchell grew up in a multicultural, low income environment in galveston and how it influenced his ideas for creating the woodlands. he is a staunch environmentalist.

in addition, "interfaith" is a key structural component of the woodlands. it's history is moving and inspiring. it is a fundamental idea behind what has become this "hidden city" to live, work, learn and play.

although i've said it several times here......"25% of the woodlands is preserved forest, parklands,etc."...i've learned recently that that figure does not include the forest "buffer" zones between neighborhoods, retail centers and roadways.

if anyone is interested, i will scan or retype the articles from the insert for your reading pleasure. just sent me a private message. i may not respond immediately, but i'll work on it.

Archived