1221 W 20th St

1221 W 20th St is the former home to Garden Expo, a garden nursery in Shady Acres.

DkmrHjo.jpg

The property was listed on Loopnet. However, the listing is no longer available because the property is off the market.

A country western-themed bar & dancehall is moving in. The honky-tonk bar is Electric Cowboy. It's a bar chain that previously operated on Houston's westside.

https://www.loopnet.com/listing/1221-w-20th-st-houston-tx/11628542/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 5 months later...

So, I'm not entirely sure what's being planned here or who owns what.

County records show Basilios Investments LLC purchased the 1221 W 20th St property in May. At the time, there were possible plans for a bar named tentatively named Iron Cowboy, as mentioned in my initial post.

But a Collier listing shows 1221 W 20th St, 1217 W 20th St, and 1210 W 21st St as a collection of properties that were recently purchased in September.

1217 W 20th St and 1210 W 21st St were purchased by Heights West 20th Interests LLC. Members listed are different from Basilios Investments.

Does anyone know if they're connected to each other? And whatever is planned for 1221 W 20th St will occupy the lots of 1217 W 20th St and 1210 W 21st St?

spacer.png

https://www.colliers.com/en/properties/sold-greater-heights-±125-acres-redevelopment-opportunity/usa-1217-1221-west-20th-street-houston-tx-77008/usa1036119

https://colliershouston.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/land/W20thSt1221-Flyer.pdf

• Like 1

I don't know if plans for 1221 W 20th St will include a country western-themed bar & dancehall. Initially, I thought is would be the honky-tonk bar Electric Cowboy or Rebel Honky Tonk, but not anymore.

Cle Group is opening a bar concept in the Greater Heights, supposedly in Shady Acres. The hospitality group is known for its day and night clubs (Spire, Cle, and Heart) and its restaurants and lounge concepts (Bisou and Kiss).

Last week, Cle Group formed the entity Heights Cle Group LLC (should appear in the state's taxable entity database this week, if it wasn't added over the weekend). It's rumored their latest concept may be a bar or bar & grill (restaurant) similar to Drift, Moonshine Deck, and others populating W 20th St in Shady Acres.

Supposedly, Cle Group's bar in the Greater Heights is rumored to be located at 1221 W 20th St. The property was previously home to Garden Expo. More recently, it was the site of food truck park Heights Food Court Park.

After the property was purchased in May, Gage Architecture submitted building plans in June for a restaurant at 1221 W 20th St.

Here is a recent photo of the 1221 W 20th St property and construction so far, courtesy of a post on Facebook.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Heights Food Court Park on 1221 W 20th St
  • The title was changed to 1221 W 20th St
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 1221 W 20th St.
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

County records show Basilios Investments LLC purchased the 1221 W 20th St property in May. At the time, there were possible plans for a bar named tentatively named Iron Cowboy, as mentioned in my initial post.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Supposedly, Cle Group's bar in the Greater Heights is rumored to be located at 1221 W 20th St. The property was previously home to Garden Expo. More recently, it was the site of food truck park Heights Food Court Park.

A follow up: the 1221 W 20th St property is not going to be another Cle Group establishment as rumored. 

It's possible the property may still be a bar & grill / club  concept named Iron Cowboy, previously mentioned last year a few posts back.

2 hours ago, emmanume said:

Is it confirmed that’s the name? I take that to just be a mural suggesting that this bar (along with the rest of the oversized patio bars in the vicinity) aspires to bring whatever they perceive to be an Austin-like vibe to the Heights

Yes, it's confirmed by Houston Chronicle's paywall-free site Chron.com.

Although majority of their restaurant and bar "reporting" is inaccurate (*reporting places or very out-of-date dining trends as new, consistently wrong information on places or legal situations (i.e. recently reported a Third Ward lounge/bar named Faces as new when it's been open for well over a decade; same article reported Turkey Leg Hut owners are still in a legal battle with one another when the case was dismissed last fall...in an article two months ago about the new owner of Tex-Mex restaurant Spanish Village...who took over ownership in spring/summer 2021, yet the Chronicle reported nothing about it then as a follow up to their reporting on the closing of Spanish Village that never happened), the news about Austin's, the beer garden / bar & grill at 1221 W 20th St is accurate.

Here is a photo of the bar's signage from Chron.com (photo taken by Chron.com's food editor Emma Balter):

spacer.png

And a progress photo of the bar's construction:

spacer.png

And this is from the article, which is very light on details:

Austin's, a beer garden that's currently under construction, will debut this summer. A representative for the concept said they were about a month out from opening, but weren't ready to reveal more details quite yet.

Next door at 1221 West 20th Street, the Austin's construction site is a little more advanced, including what appears to be a two-story building and wrap-around patio, with an adjoining brick-and-wood structure where most of the "Welcome to Austin in the Heights" mural's letters are completed.

https://www.chron.com/food/article/welcome-to-austin-in-the-heights-new-bar-houston-17221440.php

* I included a sliver of the Chron and Houston Chronicle's dining inaccuracies to show how out-of-touch their hired writers and reporters are on the very topics they are paid to report. It's baffling.

Worse, the reporters nor editors care. If they did, more would be done to ensure that mistakes are corrected (I've emailed the writers and their editors with proof showing what's reported is wrong, still nothing) and the division would do a better job of keeping their readers well informed.

It is a shame because readers trust  reliable sources like Chron and Houston Chronicle are providing them with vetted and up-to-date information. However, readers are constantly receiving inaccurate and out-of-date informatiom at least on the restaurant and bar fronts from both publications.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

spacer.png

And a progress photo of the bar's construction:

spacer.png

Feat not, good citizens.  I have it from a reliable source that the fencing around this place will be one-way, like a crab trap.  This is designed to attract errant Austinites in the area and confine them until they can be safely relocated back to central Texas.  Thus the large billboard-like sign.  Apparently the Heights is particularly over-infested.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Fox 26 recently reported on the mural and forthcoming Austin's. This is the beer garden / bar & grill at 1221 W 20th St.

Here is a photo taken of the site last week (from Fox 26):

spacer.png

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/welcome-to-austin-mural-outside-upcoming-houston-heights-beer-garden

• Like 3

On 6/17/2022 at 10:41 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Looks like a perfect place to park a jacked up F-150

An extended bed duallie with stacks, even!

I was watching a show on ABC (Australia) last week, and the host referred to people who drive pick-up trucks (well, utes — the Australian equivalent) as "concrete cowboys."

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Austin In The Heights: Beer Garden At 1221 W. 20th St.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, Texasota said:

F@ck this place so hard.

We're all adults here.  You can write "fuck."  I think.  It might be filtered.  Lemme try: Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Yep.  Not filtered.  But other words are.  Like auto-correcting "ya'll" into "y'all."

• Haha 2