Adelaide Downtown: Micro Unit Apartment Complex At 1218 Leeland St.

nate4l1f3

9 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

Besides the density and proximity to the light rail, how is this different from the abandoned project in Eado called Ivy Towers (or something like that) on Leeland?

Those were units for sale, and these are for lease.

As nate4i1f3 mentioned, Ivy Lofts was 550 units versus the 43 here. 

• Like 1

Not a good looking building but there is a need to have affordable housing in the city and the downtown and it will help build up and populate downtown. There isn’t a lot in that part of downtown and we need to build it up. It will be interesting to see how much the units will cost.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:00 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

Not 100% of the address but this is my guess based on the info in the tweet. 

Lol on thinking only 13 parking spots is a good thing for a residential building.  I'd guess the twitter poster isn't actually going to live here.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:13 AM, Double L said:

Not a good looking building but there is a need to have affordable housing in the city and the downtown and it will help build up and populate downtown. There isn’t a lot in that part of downtown and we need to build it up. It will be interesting to see how much the units will cost.

What's the going rate per sqft for rentals downtown?  It'll be in that range * 420 sqft unless it's subsidized.

• Like 1

The statistical likelihood that you could find 43 people in Houston that would be approved for that apartment that only have 13 cars among them seems rather low. For someone that has a parking spot at the office and wants a place to crash in town to avoid commuting to Livingston, Willis or Columbus every day, I see some upside. 

It's really close to the law school, maybe some other students would go for that too, don't know. I think there's likely a reason that we haven't seen anyone build anything like that yet, but I could be missing something. 

Edited by Nate99

The price point will be the biggest determining factor.  Might appeal to someone that spends more time at work than home.  Also with everything deliverable how often do you need to drive anywhere if you're already walking/taking public transit to work?

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

The statistical likelihood that you could find 43 people in Houston that would be approved for that apartment that only have 13 cars among them seems rather low. For someone that has a parking spot at the office and wants a place to crash in town to avoid commuting to Livingston, Willis or Columbus every day, I see some upside. 

It's really close to the law school, maybe some other students would go for that too, don't know. I think there's likely a reason that we haven't seen anyone build anything like that yet, but I could be missing something. 

In a city of 7 1/4 million people...  seems like there might be 30 who could be interested in a small apartment without a parking spot...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, august948 said:

Lol on thinking only 13 parking spots is a good thing for a residential building.  I'd guess the twitter poster isn't actually going to live here.

What's the going rate per sqft for rentals downtown?  It'll be in that range * 420 sqft unless it's subsidized.

Haha that guy is nuts

• Haha 2

Hot take, not every development needs parking....especially in Downtown, which is one of the most walkable and transit oriented parts of town. Even if a resident MUST have parking, there are plenty of available monthly rates at the neighboring lots and garages (around 100$). We all know parking drives up construction costs, which drives up housing costs. I believe this is a win for the neighborhood. 

• Like 5

If you live and work downtown or anywhere along the rail line, you could save a lot of money by not having a car. There's also Lyft/Uber when needed and plenty of places to rent one. 

I know a handful of Houstonians that don't have cars and they live happy lives. I couldn't do it even though I drive about once a week these days because I'm still working from home in LA.

• Like 3

When I lived downtown, Houston House had a deal where you could lease a second parking spot at the garage that would be across the street from this development.  My guess would be that these 43 residents would have that option as well.  Probably does mean that the parking spot will be an add on instead of included with the rent, which would be fine if the price is right.  There's probably 30 free street parking spots around this place at night anyway, though you'll get a ticket if you don't wake up to feed the meter.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, Justin Welling said:

Hot take, not every development needs parking....especially in Downtown, which is one of the most walkable and transit oriented parts of town. Even if a resident MUST have parking, there are plenty of available monthly rates at the neighboring lots and garages (around 100$). We all know parking drives up construction costs, which drives up housing costs. I believe this is a win for the neighborhood. 

There's a difference between need and want.  There are plenty of places you can live in Houston where you don't need a car to survive, but having a car increases your options by magnitudes, even downtown.  It will be up to the prospective tenants to decide if they are willing to go without or walk a block or two and pay extra for a parking space.  At any rate, this will prove or disprove demand for this model to future developers.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:15 AM, Double L said:

If Houston wants less parking, it needs to provide more public transportation…

I think it would be more accurate to say if Houston wants less parking it needs to provide transportation options that are better than privately owned vehicles. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, august948 said:

I think it would be more accurate to say if Houston wants less parking it needs to provide transportation options that are better than privately owned vehicles. 

So… public transportation? 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 1