Dilapidated Garage To Be Repaired At 318 Sampson St.

• 4 months later...

This is on the planning commission agenda this week. Asking for a variance to create one lot and one reserve.

Evidently the plan is to open another restaurant in the former space and add in one lot between it and the neighbor. 

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

This is on the planning commission agenda this week. Asking for a variance to create one lot and one reserve.

Evidently the plan is to open another restaurant in the former space and add in one lot between it and the neighbor. 

Can you share the agenda item? Hopefully they'll demo the current structure. Who are the POCs on the topic?

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

Can you share the agenda item? Hopefully they'll demo the current structure. Who are the POCs on the topic?

It is available for download on this page if you aren't familiar. Click "Current Agenda".

Public comment info:

The public may address the Planning Commission on agenda items. The deadline to submit comments or sign up to speak is 2:30 p.m. on the Wednesday before the Planning Commission meeting. All comments are made part of the public meeting record.

Email all questions and comments to speakercomments.pc@houstontx.gov or sign up to speak.
You may also call the Planning Department at 832-393-6624 to sign up to speak. This must be done before 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday before the Planning Commission meeting.

It appears that they are wanting to keep at least part of the structure:

(2) The circumstances supporting the granting of the variance are not the result of a hardship created or imposed by the applicant; Forcing the applicant to tear down their existing building from the 1940s because of an inadvertent encroachment created by a replat from 2016 is a definite hardship for the applicant. The only reason they cannot replat without a variance is because the preceding replat’s boundaries did not match what was on the ground. The area covered by single-family residential restrictions is currently occupied by the commercial building footprint. Granting the variance is the only possible way for the applicant to move forward with their renovation project. Without the variance, the building will either be demolished or continue to sit there in a dilapidated condition.

LVMiiUj.png

• The title was changed to Dilapidated Garage To Be Repaired - 318 Sampson St.
  • 9 months later...

Below are posts pertaining to 318 Sampson St from another topic.

The posts are about the noticeable exterior renovations on the property. There are also speculations regarding pizza pop-up Angie's / Angie's Pizza possibly opening its brick-and-mortar restaurant at 318 Sampson St.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48107-concept-neighborhood-to-redevelop-201-roberts-street-and-surrounding-areas/page/2/

On 3/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, ljchou said:

Has anyone noticed the shack that's getting refurbished on the corner just northwest of Louie's? It now has the noticeable teal green iron windows from rootlabof the plant development and Joybrush signs was parked there (part of the plant house/concept neighborhood friend crew)

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) this might be the brick and mortar location of Angie's pizza. I saw on their instagram they are hiring and they mentioned it will be "very close to Louie's"

On 3/31/2023 at 8:02 AM, wilcal said:

Can you link more info about Angie's? 

That parcel was replatted as "Champ's Pizza" last year.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, ljchou said:

There's not much info to be honest. The brother of the brother sister duo who opened Louie's originally did pop-ups around the area (how to survive, 8th wonder, etc) under the name Angie's (instagram: @angiespizzapies) with a portable pizza oven. Literally a brick pizza oven on a trailer.

They also did a brief tasting menu pop up in the east end at the plant house (the house of a group of a locals who happen to be investor(s) of the plant - retail development where louie's is located - and concept neighborhood planned developments)

It's my some of my favorite pizza I've found in Houston. I was hoping Louie's would feature some Angie's 'za but HOPEFULLY it forms into some sort of beautiful pizza shop under the name champs, though that would be odd given that champ burger is on the same block.

When they were opening Louie's (Cafe Louie at the time), they posted lots of louie's updates on the Angie's page, and lately they've been hyping a pizza shop opening soon.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:08 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Are you referring to 318 Sampson St that's on the corner of Sampson St and Preston St? It's the lot across from New Hope Housing at 3315 Harrisburg Blvd.

If that's not it, can you provide an address or cross streets?

This is a parcel map of 318 Sampson St:

lOhJphC.jpg

January 2023 Streetview of 318 Sampson St:

1368v5F.jpg

23 hours ago, wilcal said:

That is the plat that I was talking about.

They recorded the plat last fall:

Vx3GmwV.png

At one point the name that they supplied for the plat was Champs Pizza.

This parcel is not part of the Concept Neighborhood project, so while it is possible they would go here, it would make more sense to me that they would end up in all of the hundreds of thousands of sq ft of planned development immediately next to this. But that is purely a guess.

Edit: Sent Angie's a message on Instagram. We'll see if they reply.

18 hours ago, ljchou said:

@IntheKnowHoustonthat's the right address. Those green windows are the same ones used in the Plant development across the street.

@wilcalthanks for reaching out! Can't wait to hear what they say.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:02 AM, wilcal said:

That parcel was replatted as "Champ's Pizza" last year.

That is the plat that I was talking about.

They recorded the plat last fall:

Vx3GmwV.png

At one point the name that they supplied for the plat was Champs Pizza.

This parcel is not part of the Concept Neighborhood project, so while it is possible they would go here, it would make more sense to me that they would end up in all of the hundreds of thousands of sq ft of planned development immediately next to this. But that is purely a guess.

Edit: Sent Angie's a message on Instagram. We'll see if they reply.

Below is the partial replat of Champs Corner. 

The parcel addresses according to HCAD are 318 Sampson St and 318 Sampson St A.

WxjGNNz.jpg

clwQGSj.jpg

You're right. 318 Sampson St is not part of Concept Neighborhood's The Plant / Second Ward. The parcels are owned by the proprietors of Champ Burger.  

CN's The Plant / Second Ward served as homebase for Chef Angelo Emiliani's pop-ups. The Plant / Second Ward is also home to Louie's. So, it's not a stretch to think Angie's / Angie's Pizza may be leasing a space or building in The Plant / Second Ward.

Still, Concept Neighborhood partners with Champ Burger from time to time for community events. It's possible Angie's Pizza has established a relationship with Champ Burger's owners through these events or through their pop-ups nearby. So, who knows, Angie's could have struck a deal to open at 318 Sampson St.

I suppose we'll know for sure whenever Angie's drops more details.

There aren't recent building permits for 318 Sampson St. But last year, there were several permits issued for a commercial garage repair.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, ljchou said:

Has anyone noticed the shack that's getting refurbished on the corner just northwest of Louie's? It now has the noticeable teal green iron windows from rootlabof the plant development and Joybrush signs was parked there (part of the plant house/concept neighborhood friend crew)

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) this might be the brick and mortar location of Angie's pizza. I saw on their instagram they are hiring and they mentioned it will be "very close to Louie's"

Angie's / Angie's Pizza is not opening their brick-and-mortar restaurant at 318 Sampson St. The pizzeria is opening at The Plant / Second in a familiar location: the unit where Louie's located. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mods @Urbannizer @Triton, if possible, please consider merging this with the existing topic for 318 Sampson St.

Thanks in advance. Also, sorry for creating a duplicate topic.

Existing topic:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47244-dilapidated-garage-to-be-repaired-318-sampson-st/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

Finally some movement! We were at the new Street to Kitchen the other day and I was looking at this wondering when something would happen. 

The plat has been recorded for over a year now!

I've very interested to see how this area changes with the railroad crossing elimination for Sampson/York. I think the plan is to close Sampson at the railroad tracks and convert both to two-way traffic. They are both so unnecessarily wide right now.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Dilapidated Garage To Be Repaired At 318 Sampson St.