Taco Stand At 1503-1513 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

1 minute ago, dbigtex56 said:

Haven't checked to see if there's already a demo permit, but the windows have been taken out, the entire  building is covered with graffiti, and there's a prominent "FOR SALE' sign.

Corner of Westheimer and Mulberry St.

No permits for demo yet. Last permit was in 2020 for emergency repairs.

• Like 2

that place is a mess although i have great memories of going to the lower left corner unit for late night physic readings with drunk friends back in the day! Ha! 

(and that Houston Press building next door...dang that place used to be fun too but now i am not sure what it is...and why...haha!)

22 hours ago, gene said:

that place is a mess although i have great memories of going to the lower left corner unit for late night physic readings with drunk friends back in the day! Ha! 

Oh, I remember that unit.
A friend was all excited because he'd rented it - only $400 a month (this was 25 years ago), no deposit, first month's rent cash in advance. 
We were looking the place over, discussing its possibilities, when a couple of other people walked in without knocking. "Hi, what are you doing here?" "Hi yourself, I'm here to look over my new apartment. What are YOU doing here?" 
Turns out that apartment had been 'rented' to at least four different people. The person doing the renting was not the owner, and conveniently disappeared before it hit the fan, with at least $1600 in cash.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Yikes! haha!

My 3 buddies lived in the 2 apartments above the hair salon next door to brasil and let me tell you they were the kings of westheimer/montrose!!! (Dwayne, John and Ron)...we would hang out on the HUGE patio and party on that patio nonstop...soooooo much fun back in the day! dang i am so glad i knew at the time how special that time in my life was... 😭🥰🙏

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The 2 1/2 story building to the west of the demolished bungalow (1509 Westheimer?) has an unusual narrow third story running from the front to the rear of the house. 
Was this building previously used for some other purpose?
Could this have been part of some primitive cooling system? I've always been puzzled as to what purpose it served.

• Like 2

Talked with one of the demo crew guys. He told me they had 7 cops cars yesterday looking for a vagrant inside the building on the corner. They didn't find him but as soon as they left he popped out of a hole in the building. He also told me all 4 have basements so they have to call the police to check them out before they start. They are going to tear down the one on the corner also but since it's so close to the street they need a permit to shut down Mulberry St. Asked him if he knew who owns them and seemed to think the owner of Pistolero owns them, Shawn Bermudez. He owns Pistolero, Present Company, the 2 Burger Joints and the Pizza Place under construction on N. Shepherd.

hfHbWuj.jpg

ao6MmTA.jpg

87FiJ22.jpg

J30OLyR.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Talked with one of the demo crew guys. He told me they had 7 cops cars yesterday looking for a vagrant inside the building on the corner. They didn't find him but as soon as they left he popped out of a hole in the building on the corner. He also told me all 4 have basements so they have to call the police to check them out before they start. They are going to tear down the one on the corner also but since it's so close to the street they need a permit to shut down Mulberry St. Asked him if he knew who owns them and seemed to think the owner of Pistolero owns them, Shawn Bermudez. He owns Pistolero, Present Company, the 2 Burger Joints and the Pizza Place under construction on N. Shepherd.

Yep, Fifth Year, Inc, a Bermudez entity owns 1503, 1505, 1509, 1513, and 1521 Westheimer, which is everything from Pistoleros East on that block. That entity also owns the triangle shaped parking lot across the street.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

wowsa informative post @hindesky !
had no idea about any of that! while in a way it's sad to see this end of Westheimer change more and more into the rest of Westheimer it is good to have it cleaned up and i guess this is how they have decided to go about it. Shawn is killing it...dang! which by the way i love tacos etc and have never been to Pistoleros...how is that place?

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, hindesky said:

I've only been in Pistoleros once and it was back when the city closed the street for bikers, walkers and skaters. Seemed expensive for a taco place, it used to be a sushi place and went there often during the lunch specials.

I only went there because they had good margs, and nachos. If I wanted something else I would just go to someplace with more for a better price. Still a cool hangout place, and a nice patio.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 5:37 PM, dbigtex56 said:

The 2 1/2 story building to the west of the demolished bungalow (1509 Westheimer?) has an unusual narrow third story running from the front to the rear of the house. 
Was this building previously used for some other purpose?
Could this have been part of some primitive cooling system? I've always been puzzled as to what purpose it served.

Streetview shows railings along both sides so I'd guess that was balcony on each side of the narrow third story.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed a few weeks ago that three or four buildings between Mulberry Street and Pistoleros were razed. Does anyone know what's going in at this location? Seems like it could be a good way to extend that walkable area of Montrose, if there are more shops or restaurants.

23 hours ago, bookey23 said:

I noticed a few weeks ago that three or four buildings between Mulberry Street and Pistoleros were razed. Does anyone know what's going in at this location? Seems like it could be a good way to extend that walkable area of Montrose, if there are more shops or restaurants.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Demo Permits - 1505, 1509, 1513 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 weeks later...

Sale listings of 1503 Westheimer from 2021. The land was purchased by Shawn Bermudez in late 2021. Bermudez owns The Burger Joint, Pistolero's, The Taco Stand, and Present Company.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1503-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/23742130/

https://www.davis-commercial.com/property/1503-westheimer-rd

Marketing flyer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/183EEIcpdkW9Vz4w0w_S7pgTX0iFPtf3a/view?usp=sharing

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Sale listings of 1505 Westheimer, 1509 Westheimer, and 1513 Westheimer from 2021.

As noted several posts up, the lots were purchased by Shawn Bermudez in late 2021, along with 1503 Westheimer. Bermudez owns The Burger Joint, Pistolero's, The Taco Stand, and Present Company.

1505 Westheimer Rd

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1505-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/23760476

spacer.png

spacer.png

1509 Westheimer 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1509-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/23069781/

spacer.png

1513 Westheimer

https://www.davis-commercial.com/property/1509-1513-westheimer-rd

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYCeIZdiGnvHsucYrRkIB8mV3B3rpohy/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 7:11 AM, hindesky said:

3 houses east of Pistoleros have demo permits. All 3 are in pretty bad shape. 

It's four buildings on four land parcels. The lots are located at 1503 Westheimer, 1505 Westheimer, 1509 Westheimer, and 1513 Westheimer as posted above by Ross.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:11 AM, hindesky said:

Curious to know what will be built here.

I don't know if all four lots will be one dining concept from Shawn Bermudez or if it will be two. But Bermudez and business partner Matthew Pak are opening a second location of the Taco Stand in Montrose. There aren't any construction filings, business filings, or alcohol permits yet indicating this. I think after all the buildings are demolished, all or part of the sites will become home to the Taco Stand.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

@IntheKnowHouston The crew that demolished the 3 buildings said they would come back and take down the remaining building on the corner. They said they need permits to shut down the street next to it though before they can do it. COH is doing a lot of street work right by there and is probably the reason they haven't gotten the permit yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

@IntheKnowHouston The crew that demolished the 3 buildings said they would come back and take down the remaining building on the corner. They said they need permits to shut down the street next to it though before they can do it. COH is doing a lot of street work right by there and is probably the reason they haven't gotten the permit yet.

Thanks for the update! However, my comment was moreso a response to your question about what's possibly planned for parts or all of the lots at 1503 Westheimer-1513 Westheimer. I think the Taco Stand is planned for the lots since Bermudez and Pak have plans to open a Montrose outpost.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1503 - 1513 Westheimer Rd.
On 7/9/2022 at 4:30 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know if all four lots will be one dining concept from Shawn Bermudez or if it will be two. But Bermudez and business partner Matthew Pak are opening a second location of the Taco Stand in Montrose. There aren't any construction filings, business filings, or alcohol permits yet indicating this. I think after all the buildings are demolished, all or part of the sites will become home to the Taco Stand.

Earlier this week, the entity PBJ Tacos Montrose, Inc. was filed to the Texas Comptroller's Taxable Entity database. So, while it does confirm rumors of the Taco Stand expanding to Montrose, it doesn't indicate where in Montrose.

Still, I think all or at least some of the demoed lots could be for the Taco Stand. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 9:46 AM, hindesky said:

Asked him if he knew who owns them and seemed to think the owner of Pistolero owns them, Shawn Bermudez. He owns Pistolero, Present Company, the 2 Burger Joints and the Pizza Place under construction on N. Shepherd.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ross said:

Yep, Fifth Year, Inc, a Bermudez entity owns 1503, 1505, 1509, 1513, and 1521 Westheimer, which is everything from Pistoleros East on that block. That entity also owns the triangle shaped parking lot across the street.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, Paco Jones said:

1503 to 1521 Westheimer is owned by Shawn Bermudez.  I think The Burger joint and Pistolero's (and maybe other restaurants) are his places?

With that being said, I don't know what is planned, but I am interested.

Although the owner of the parcels at 1503-1513 Westheimer has been discussed, below a press release from August announcing the sale of the properties.

The release states Shawn Bermudez has no current plans to redevelop the properties. 

"HOUSTON, TX, August 2022 —Fifth Year, Inc purchased 23,100 SF of land at 1503-1513 Westheimer Rd., Houston, TX 77006. They currently have no plans to redevelop the properties. The sellers, Barry Bennick, GW & LJ Coates and Christopher Gaillard were represented Ryan Neyland of Davis Commercial Real Estate."

https://www.davis-commercial.com/news/fifth-year-inc-purchases-land-montrose-media-alert

CwL0Z0p.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

On 10/17/2022 at 7:59 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

They currently have no plans to redevelop the properties.

This probably makes sense in some investor's mind. All I see is that several fewer inexpensive housing units are available and a storefront is gone, and we'll have a gaping hole in the streetscape until someone decides what to do with it.
That can take years - sometimes decades.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1