Sign in to follow this  
Modernceo

Sharpstown History?

The Southway 6 was named after the strip center it was in, Southway.
The theater at West Airport and Fondren was named after the chain it belonged to. I can't remember off the top of my head, it was a really long time ago. I spent far more time at Southway than at the other.

What do you guys think of the future of that area will be like? It seems like a prime gentrification target if you ask me. Centrally located, the single-family portions generally look nice. Bellaire is no less close to the Gulfton apartment ghettos. It would follow that at some point someone will tear down those 60s era homes for McMansions like you see in other surrounding areas.

I'm thinking because of the decline of retail in general, instead of being redeveloped into a open air or big box shopping center, the mall will just continue to languish and then one day get torn down for who knows what. Probably some kind of low density, less than exciting type of mixed use project that itself never gets finished 20 years later. I'm just spraying windex on my crystal ball here...

tear down the apartment complexes and the area will be fine. It's a good spot for middle income people who have to live somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

tear down the apartment complexes and the area will be fine. It's a good spot for middle income people who have to live somewhere.

Where are those folks supposed to go?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gmac said:

Where are those folks supposed to go?

Exactly. It's a complicated problem. Greenspoint is the same way IMO - its a mess with such a concentration of poverty but its also a humongous share of the city's low end housing. It would be a bad idea to uproot thousands and maybe tens of thousands of people who don't have anywhere else to go.

I guess the displaced residents could go find some apartments in Katy that are having some leasing specials with the oil bust and all that. You know, history repeating itself...

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, zaphod said:

What do you guys think of the future of that area will be like? It seems like a prime gentrification target if you ask me. Centrally located, the single-family portions generally look nice. Bellaire is no less close to the Gulfton apartment ghettos. It would follow that at some point someone will tear down those 60s era homes for McMansions like you see in other surrounding areas.

There are some really interesting mid-century modern houses in Sharpstown. I went to an open house for one around 15 years ago that was amazing - it had been reasonably well-maintained and the elderly owners had been living there for many years (can't remember if they were the original owners or not). The neighborhood looked OK in general but the perception of the Sharpstown area being high-crime had definitely depressed property values. I remember thinking that if the house had been in another neighborhood, the asking price would have probably doubled. 

• Like 1

why were there so many apartments built? Surely they had to factor in if the area changes you're stuck with blight.

But they're doing the same in Katy, all points west so maybe greed. 

Farb was a prominent Jew. My question is how did they come across so much money but they were discriminated against by whites when they were in Houston at the beginning?

34 minutes ago, hbcu said:

why were there so many apartments built? Surely they had to factor in if the area changes you're stuck with blight.

But they're doing the same in Katy, all points west so maybe greed. 

Farb was a prominent Jew. My question is how did they come across so much money but they were discriminated against by whites when they were in Houston at the beginning?

Are you sure you don't want to edit and rephrase that question?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There's no way to edit or rephrase the question that will take away the foul odor of anti-semitism. 

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s no secret Riverside Terrace was founded as a Jewish enclave as the owners were well-known before they boarded up and headed west. River Oaks had nothing to do with them.

but what’s the history prior to them obtaining their valuable holdings? Did they come here broke or had money? they bought large parcels of land and everything. Eventually as time moved on they began to blend in but that’s all I’m asking as it’s odd you don’t see a major affluent Hispanic community considering they were here first and didn’t face the major battles of discrimination.

wont even get to African American. That’s another thread.

Edited by hbcu

Posted (edited)

Didn’t need it - surely someone on here can speak from a houston perspective 

you read too much google you get too many theories Which leads to speculation. It’s obvious they had a head start - how those starts came is the speculative part which can be controversial.

but it’s odd someone like a Finger and others worked closely with non-Jews, etc. but wasn’t permitted to live with them at the time. did that offend them? once other races made their way to Riverside why did they leave in masses considering the history of where they came from or were they already assimilated as some were raised on American soil where it was about skin color?

I love the Little things about history that people like to hide under mats.

also guys like Farb and Finger would be allowed to litter the city with so many apartments and did anyone try to stop them? But they even did it to their own areas so that should say something.

Odd but I guess money is money.

Edited by hbcu

Sorry to have confused you with links to facts. You obviously have an agenda, so have a good day, sir.

It’s no agenda - what was it like for them at the time? There were obvious things they faced but managed to overcome it. 

as for overall business decisions what led to some of them? Fondren SW was heavy Jew area and the homes are nice along with Sharpstown. But why would someone drop down swaths of apartments around those nice homes? Surely they had to forecast blight in the equation if there was an economic crisis.

they saw it happen in Riverside

the land was cheap, and Michigan and Ohio emptied out and moved to Texas in the late 70's/early 80's, so they had to build housing somewhere. A lot of those guys already owned the lands in that area- the Westwood Country Club was opened as a Jewish country club.

All of those apartments were nice when they were built 40-45 years ago, they all turned to crap as they aged.

interesting to say the least...I guess they never looked long term as even in urban areas the apartments get razed when its time for renewal.

Larrydallas, I believe the model shop in Sharpstown mall was called Gene's model shop. I too spent many hours looking at the planes that hung from the ceiling and tring to pick out a model to build that fit my allowance money.

We use to go see fireworks there on occasion. I had my first Wendys hamburger there as well. This was our go to mall until all of the anchor stores left.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 8:30 PM, Pinboy said:

Larrydallas, I believe the model shop in Sharpstown mall was called Gene's model shop. I too spent many hours looking at the planes that hung from the ceiling and tring to pick out a model to build that fit my allowance money.

We use to go see fireworks there on occasion. I had my first Wendys hamburger there as well. This was our go to mall until all of the anchor stores left.

That sounds right; Gene's Model Shop. My brother and I went there a lot, and it's one of the few places I can remember there. I used to get those plastic car kits to assemble and paint, and maybe train and slot car stuff.

Edited by Gurgis