Memories Of Sharpstown

Modernceo

A river oaks address sounds more logical. however....according to hcad this house was built in 1955 too.

So maybe he built this house after he made his money from developing oak forest. And maybe he lived in Oak Forest at first until he cashed his checks and his mansion was ready. :)

In the 1949 City Directory, Frank W. Sharp is shown residing on Meadow Lake Lane, just off San Felipe and Weslayan. In other words, not far from his later River Oaks digs. His Oak Forest Construction Co. is listed on Rosslyn.

Louis Welch, with wife Ida, is shown as residing in Garden Oaks, no street address given; he is President of Pettigrew Welch.

In my research a couple of months ago I came across a story of the launch of a $32M development to be called Oak Forest (Press 5/21/46, p.1). I didn't make any other notes but vaguely remember a pic of Sharp with a very young Welch looking over his shoulder.

I guess if Sharp lived in OF it wasn't for very long before 'moving on up' to the West side.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents moved into their house in Sharpstown in the mid 1960s. I grew up there and my dad still lives there. Rice (the grocery store) used to occupy the space on Bellaire between Fondren and Gessner that is now a restaurant supply, I think. I remember shopping there with my mother when she drove her new Carmen Gia.

My dad's hardware store, Texas Hardware Center, occupied the space in the mid 1980s.

The pool and golf course were a country club. The city took them over years later after the whole Sharp fiasco.

I hope this area makes a come back. It is an important place in the history of Houston and it is close to 59...

The neighborhood has a bad rep, but I think that's a little undeserved for some of the areas. I mean, the apartments behind the mall are pretty bad, but some of the enclaves of homes are still peaceful.

Although popular wisdom would indicate that my dad should have been plagued by crime, his house was burgaled only once and that was a couple of years ago...we never really had any problems. My garage in the Heights was burgled after living there for three years. He's been there for forty...go figure.

I'm sure that there are others who can give you the scoop on what used to be. I'd be happy to answer those questions too...from memory.

Louis Welch, with wife Ida, is shown as residing in Garden Oaks, no street address given; he is President of Pettigrew Welch.

In my research a couple of months ago I came across a story of the launch of a $32M development to be called Oak Forest (Press 5/21/46, p.1). I didn't make any other notes but vaguely remember a pic of Sharp with a very young Welch looking over his shoulder.

I guess if Sharp lived in OF it wasn't for very long before 'moving on up' to the West side.

I know for a fact the Mayor Louis Welch lives on Happy Hollow Street (just a block north of Oak Forest-Not Garden Oaks) in the 60's 70's and 80's. I went to school with his daughter and son.

Does anyone have a 1946 directory? I recall seeing a brochure for Oak Forest not long ago and the sales office was located on Golf @ Fisher Street which is in Garden Oaks.

I know for a fact the Mayor Louis Welch lives on Happy Hollow Street (just a block north of Oak Forest-Not Garden Oaks) in the 60's 70's and 80's. I went to school with his daughter and son.

This may have been the Louie Welch house I have read about but have been unable to locate. Louie Welch was one of Houston's most popular mayors (until the odd-wad comment regarding Whitmire supporters) and had a house designed by the renowend Roger Rasbach. Rasbach was an architectural activist who developed contemporary buildings that were far more responsive to their enviroment than the glass boxes which came before them. He designed and built these livable mods throughout Texas and around the world. He was also very involved with energy conservation thru good architecture. Other notable clients/designs included industrialist Henry J. Kaiser, Jane Blaffer Owen, and Vargo's. His supporters included President Ronald Reagan, President Jimmy Carter, and Miss Ima Hogg. He also developed a secluded neighborhood in about 1995 situated on the Buffalo Bayou in west Houston with several houses he designed.

This may have been the Louie Welch house I have read about but have been unable to locate. Louie Welch was one of Houston's most popular mayors (until the odd-wad comment regarding Whitmire supporters) and had a house designed by the renowend Roger Rasbach. Rasbach was an architectural activist who developed contemporary buildings that were far more responsive to their enviroment than the glass boxes which came before them. He designed and built these livable mods throughout Texas and around the world. He was also very involved with energy conservation thru good architecture. Other notable clients/designs included industrialist Henry J. Kaiser, Jane Blaffer Owen, and Vargo's. His supporters included President Ronald Reagan, President Jimmy Carter, and Miss Ima Hogg. He also developed a secluded neighborhood in about 1995 situated on the Buffalo Bayou in west Houston with several houses he designed.

I have a copy of Rasbach's Provident Planner. Some interesting stuff in there.

He also built several homes in/around San Antonio. And was a heavy promoter of using SIPS (Structural Insulated Panels) in home construction. I think he died last year or the year before.

Recently, a group is/was to build a home based on his principals - to use as a model for of saving energy and working with the environment.

It is supposed to be at 205 Payne (in the Grota Home subdiv - a topical name today: see another thread today on Grota http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...=5082&pid=70492).

They had a press release a couple of years ago but still no activity - at least a few months ago when I drove by the lot.

Anyone know the status of the project?

Wasnt the movie theater that was at Beechnut & S. Gessner the Southway 6? Also, on the same side of Beechnut but on the other side of Gessner was Dunkin? Donuts.

I think Southway 6 was on W.Bellfort and Fondren. Welsh Middle School was behind it, and I think a Dunkin Donuts and Fiesta was across the street. All of W. Bellfort's retail from the Beltway to Post Oak needs a major upscale revitalization. Had so much promise at one point. Now, it's a cradle of FUNK N CIVILIZATION. :wacko:

I think Southway 6 was on W.Bellfort and Fondren. Welsh Middle School was behind it, and I think a Dunkin Donuts and Fiesta was across the street. All of W. Bellfort's retail from the Beltway to Post Oak needs a major upscale revitalization. Had so much promise at one point. Now, it's a cradle of FUNK N CIVILIZATION. :wacko:

I found this listing for Southway 6 on cinematour.com:

Southway 6, 8006 S. Gessner Dr., Closed

Unfortunately they didn't have any photos or other information. Don't know which theater was at W. Bellfort & Fondren. Maybe a similarly named one?

Anyone remember the BBQ Barn? This was at the corner of Fondren and Westpark. I have an advertisement and menu from 1970 as soon as I figure out how to insert photos.... wouldn't let me insert "dynamic photos" (from my photo album) just now.

I'v lived in Alief, Sharpstown, Westchase, Westbury and The Meadows in my many years in Houston. Even when not residing in Sharpstown, it's been, of course, a big part of my personal history.

Yeah, I remember the corner of Bellaire and Gessner, the Safeway as the area was Asianizing. I went to Florida for a couple of years and went back to Sharpstown in 1993 and it was AppleTree, then very shortly after, Fiesta.

Sharpstown Mall. It was the Summer of '82...when I finished middle school in Clearwater, Florida and went to join the rest of my family in Houston. I was reluctant to leave at first but once I was in H-town, I started to see it was a pretty cool and varied big city already.

It was THE mall in Houston to be. While the demographic shopping/loitering base was what you might say a bit upper white, middle-class...Sharpstown Mall still had the diversity of Asians, Latinos, blacks, Desi and etc., reflecting that hip young and energetic city that was transforming post-Gilley's culture. It was certainly far more vibrant and exciting than malls like Sunshine, Clearwater or Countryside that I had in FLA (though I have warm memories of those places too).

For those of you 1980s folks...if you remember the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High that made Sherman Oaks Galleria famous in Los Angeles...Sharpstown was the Houston version. The New Wave, preppie and heavy metal fashions of the time...all cotemporaneous if not harmonious. I remember the Dream Merchant. Many of my Elsik High classmates worked at the Chick-Fil-A when it was still there. I saw lots of classmates hanging out there. Young folk' of my generation just shopped and gawked at each other back in the day of big sprayed hair, Vans shoes, polo shirts, Van Halen, Sony cassette Walkmans, Gloria Vanderbilt, parachute pants (geez), acid-washed jeans and the like.

Kids from so many other schools just hung out there. Sharpstown, Sharpstown. Even "the Hill" which was located somewhere off Mary Bates in between Beechnut and Bellaire...that Friday and Saturday night hangout was popular and notorious to even us Alief ISD teens.

In terms of the pop-culture and peer to peer socializing, my Teen-Young Adult Era was essentially 1982-87 there.

Then by 1989, I think it started its transformation. Gang-shootings started, I believe. Though when I still think of 1988, I remember the movie theater that was just across the parking lot; a buddy (my lead singer in a band, actually) used to work there and got us and our dates in for free. Ah, back in the day.

JC Penney left. The bookstores and Anglo-oriented music stores started to follow suit. By the early 1990s, the demographic was mostly African-American and Latino but it was and still is a diverse mall with Asians, whites and etc.

Indeed, the stately mini-mansions and elaborate ranch homes just across the mall on Fondren are still a reminder of another time but just goes to show that Houston is the place of checkerboard demographic diversity. My dad still lives in one of those homes and I lived there briefly for eight months in 2004 to take a break from San Diego.

We went walking a few nights a week, through the back to Gessner, left on Bellaire and then left again to Fondren. I always found the experience to be very urban, if auto-centric. There are quite a few pedestrians on Gessner, especially in the strip centers there...and the neon vibe of the High Times store really anchors it...and passing by the Vietnamese strip centers just near Strake/Agnes always got me excited for some reason, like I wanted to get some pho soup or something later on.

Sharpstown was a mall that I still went to. In 2004, I still found it to be vibrant. Of course, the shops reflect a very hip, African-American vibe, with that rap recording studio there (long defunct) and its remains. But in largely colonial and country-club San Diego, you won't find a pop-cultural environment like that!

Of course, the big money chains will leave a noticeable measure of vacancy in Sharpstown...but I still find Sharpstown to be vibrant with a different pop culture. It's not my pop-culture but I observe it to be fascinating in the Houston context. I still watched buck-fifty movies there and enjoyed the experience, ate at Sun Moon in the food court. Many people have a problem with Sharpstown having a significant African-American clientele but hell, it's also many Latinos, Asians, South/Central Asians and whites there mingling about as well. I guess we get threatened when it's no longer a white majority in any given shopping mecca.

Most uptight people would use the term "downhill." But I'm not an uptight person. To me, I make no ethnocentric judgement of the place per se; it simply changed and surely some changes do require more caution but they will not diminish my overall enjoyment of Sharpstown Mall whenever I return to Houston.

I do remember a time past with Sharpstown but neither do I see its ('80s) ghosts.

Oh, there was also the castle looking hotel at 59S and Clairewood - The Old English Inn. Before that it was the Royal Coach Inn (or Motor Inn) and had two lion statues at the front entrance.

A little ways up the freeway near 59 and Hillcroft was the Travel Lodge.

If you are talking about the Fiesta on Bellaire and Hillcroft, it used to be a store called Globe in the 70's. It was alone, yet close enough to the Sharpstown Drive-In Theater.

Ive always been curious about the developments on Bellaire blvd, and as much as I can see what they are now, im curious what kind of business's were there before.

Specifically, the gessner and bellaire area, gessner area north of bellaire, etc.

What kind of grocery store was in the Fiesta mart lot before Fiesta ? It looks like an old Krogers store from the 80's inside. When did Fiesta take over that space ?

North of Bellaire, but south of Harwin, what kind of business's were in the strip shopping centers on the east and west sides ? Does anyone have any pictures of these areas in the 70's, 80's, etc ?

Id love to hear others input, or stories, or photos about this area of Sharpstown, Bellaire.

Cory

If you are talking about the Fiesta on Bellaire and Hillcroft, it used to be a store called Globe in the 70's. It was alone, yet close enough to the Sharpstown Drive-In Theater.

I don't remember the Sharpstown Drive-In and I used to live just a few blocks from there! Have to drive by there sometime soon and see if it jogs my memory.

You said you saw Jaws there... I saw Star Wars at the Southway 6 on Beechnut and S Gessner! Sat in the isle because all the seats were full...

I don't remember the Sharpstown Drive-In and I used to live just a few blocks from there! Have to drive by there sometime soon and see if it jogs my memory.

You said you saw Jaws there... I saw Star Wars at the Southway 6 on Beechnut and S Gessner! Sat in the isle because all the seats were full...

Sharpstown Drive-In Theater was demolished either in the late 70's or early 80's. They built apartments on that tract. There also used to be a chinese restaraunt across from Globe. I ate my first fortune cookie there, but it's long gone too.

I attended Jane Long during the late 70's when Mr. Thompson was the principal.

I was in the band directed by Jack LaLanne. Played at every football game and concerts throughout the year. Mr. LaLanne made the cut-ups do push-ups when they acted out. Our whole trumpet section was muscular.

I was also on the first-ever girl's basketball team there coached by Mr. Hollingsworth and Miss Wallace. The boys got bussed to games, but the girls did not. We still had fun even though not very many schools had girl's teams.

Used to buy Mentos at lunch and wear Eagles, Foghat, and Linda Ronstadt shirts. We thought the pizza in the cafeteria there was awesome.

Ring a bell anyone?

I attended Jane Long during the late 70's when Mr. Thompson was the principal.

I was in the band directed by Jack LaLanne. Played at every football game and concerts throughout the year. Mr. LaLanne made the cut-ups do push-ups when they acted out. Our whole trumpet section was muscular.

I was also on the first-ever girl's basketball team there coached by Mr. Hollingsworth and Miss Wallace. The boys got bussed to games, but the girls did not. We still had fun even though not very many schools had girl's teams.

Used to buy Mentos at lunch and wear Eagles, Foghat, and Linda Ronstadt shirts. We thought the pizza in the cafeteria there was awesome.

Ring a bell anyone?

Hmm, I thought you were going to say REO Speedwagon. Or was that high school? Wasn't Jane Long on Bellaire and Rookin? I always thought it looked sorta like a jail. But then Sharpstown Jr. High wasn't any prettier. LOL

Hmm, I thought you were going to say REO Speedwagon. Or was that high school? Wasn't Jane Long on Bellaire and Rookin? I always thought it looked sorta like a jail. But then Sharpstown Jr. High wasn't any prettier. LOL

Actually, I did not like REO that much, lol. Just enjoyed play time. I heard that S-Town JH rocked? What's up with that? I guess you swam at Lansdale....?

PS- Eagles still Rock! Joe Walsh! Life's Been Good, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in doing a photo essay type thing on the history of Sharpstown, and I would love if people could pass along pics of the area from 1955 to 1985. I'm especially interested in pictures of street scenes (both residential and commercial). Also, any literature you may have (brochures) would be awesome. Thanks for the help!

Anyone remember the BBQ Barn? This was at the corner of Fondren and Westpark. I have an advertisement and menu from 1970 as soon as I figure out how to insert photos.... wouldn't let me insert "dynamic photos" (from my photo album) just now.

Hey roym -

Thanks for pointing me back to this site! I just got your email that you sent back in January. That BBQ Barn is still there. Just drove past it the other day. And yes, the theater on Gessner and Beechnut was the Southway 6. By the way - in your email you indicated you thought I lived in Sharpstown Section 1 (Neff - Larkwood - Cannock). But we moved to Rowan St near the intersection of Waldo in 1965. (I think that is called "Sharpstown Country Club Terrace") I really had a flashback when you mentioned the "Beatles" etched in the concrete at Pat Neff. Was it on the sidewalk near the temporary buildings on the Waldo side?

Does anybody remember a grocery store near Fondren and Bissonett called Sacco Bros.? I'm not sure I spelled it correctly. When I was a LITTLE kid I'd go there with my Mom and "Mr. Sam" would always give me a piece of bubblegum.

I really cringe when I hear people talking about how "bad" the Sharpstown area is. My Dad still lives there and our little pocket doesn't seem to have changed much at all. Every weekend I drive past Pat Neff Elem. on Carvel and turn left onto Waldo to Rowan Lane and I feel like it might was well be 1971 and I am walking home from 1st grade. (only the trees are bigger and there wasn't a fence around Landsdale Park) :)

Sharpstown Drive-In Theater was demolished either in the late 70's or early 80's. They built apartments on that tract. There also used to be a chinese restaraunt across from Globe. I ate my first fortune cookie there, but it's long gone too.

I remember wathcing movies from the back of our station wagon in my p.j.'s. Don't remember what movies we saw there - I probably just fell asleep.

Hey roym -

Thanks for pointing me back to this site! I just got your email that you sent back in January. That BBQ Barn is still there. Just drove past it the other day. And yes, the theater on Gessner and Beechnut was the Southway 6. By the way - in your email you indicated you thought I lived in Sharpstown Section 1 (Neff - Larkwood - Cannock). But we moved to Rowan St near the intersection of Waldo in 1965. (I think that is called "Sharpstown Country Club Terrace") I really had a flashback when you mentioned the "Beatles" etched in the concrete at Pat Neff. Was it on the sidewalk near the temporary buildings on the Waldo side?

Does anybody remember a grocery store near Fondren and Bissonett called Sacco Bros.? I'm not sure I spelled it correctly. When I was a LITTLE kid I'd go there with my Mom and "Mr. Sam" would always give me a piece of bubblegum.

I really cringe when I hear people talking about how "bad" the Sharpstown area is. My Dad still lives there and our little pocket doesn't seem to have changed much at all. Every weekend I drive past Pat Neff Elem. on Carvel and turn left onto Waldo to Rowan Lane and I feel like it might was well be 1971 and I am walking home from 1st grade. (only the trees are bigger and there wasn't a fence around Landsdale Park) :)

I remember wathcing movies from the back of our station wagon in my p.j.'s. Don't remember what movies we saw there - I probably just fell asleep.

Yes, the "Beatles" etching was on the Waldo side of the school. I don't remember which sidewalk it was on. Are those "temporary" buildings still there? At least one of those was used for PE when I went there. The little baseball field was right behind them.

Yes, the "Beatles" etching was on the Waldo side of the school. I don't remember which sidewalk it was on. Are those "temporary" buildings still there? At least one of those was used for PE when I went there. The little baseball field was right behind them.

The temporaries are still there - but now there are a lot more of them. They totally gutted Neff over the summer and took out all the windows and are replacing them. They didn't complete the project before school started so I guess that's why they had to move in all the extra temporaries. The new windows look almost like the old (that 60's geometric style) but they look thicker and are able to be opened. I remember PE in that old school room with Mrs. Robinette. I went to Neff's 40th birthday party and saw some of the old teachers and Mr. Martin...and the first principal who was probably gone before you got there...Mrs. Moore. I told her she really frightened me as a child and she said, "How else do you think I kept all those kids in line?" She's still a little scary. :o

The temporaries are still there - but now there are a lot more of them. They totally gutted Neff over the summer and took out all the windows and are replacing them. They didn't complete the project before school started so I guess that's why they had to move in all the extra temporaries. The new windows look almost like the old (that 60's geometric style) but they look thicker and are able to be opened. I remember PE in that old school room with Mrs. Robinette. I went to Neff's 40th birthday party and saw some of the old teachers and Mr. Martin...and the first principal who was probably gone before you got there...Mrs. Moore. I told her she really frightened me as a child and she said, "How else do you think I kept all those kids in line?" She's still a little scary. :o

Wow, when was the party? Glad to hear Mr. Martin is still around. Yep, don't remember Mrs Moore. I *think* there were only two temporary buildings way back then.

I have a few memories of the Sharpstown mall from the mid 80s when I was like 8 years old. We went there all of the time just to kill time cause my family was pretty new to Houston and did not know too many people in town. I can recall that the floors in the mall were done in these small red circular tiles with the railings and metal stairs painted brown. We went to the JC penny all of the time. I also recall that "Time Out" arcade was very popular for the "big kids". I used to think that elevator right in front of the arcade was the most awesome thing in the world. haha Does anyone remember that radio control/model train/hobby shop that used to be on the 1st floor close to the Ward's? I used to drool over the R/C cars they had for $120 (a lot of money in 1985 & and fortune for a kid).

I went to the mall under 5 times since those days and been sort of let down each time because it's just not the same. If they had demolished the whole parcel of land and built 1950s era type single family homes it would have been better than just have the area decline so much and attract stuff like gang activity and such.

My hope for the future of Sharpstown is that it does not get infiltrated by developers that try to alter the 1950s type of home layout there in the residential areas. Once you turn off of the major roads and get 2 blocks away the homes and streets are just lovely in many cases. I live in Westbury and have seen some homes pop up near here that are part of this disturbing trend to ruin the vintage look. The period correct homes were mostly single story and anywhere from 1600-2200 sq ft. We have a few structures over 3000 sq ft. going up in this area. One house is on the north side of W. Belfort between Willowbend and Chimney Rock. There is a huge house that is way out of place on Willowbend just west of the railroad tracks about 1/2 a mile west of Stella Link. I think some townhomes are being built now on the other side of the street from that house on the south side of Willowbend.

Anyone know the history of the land that is across the street from Sharpstown mall where the Gillman Mitsubishi/Honda used to be before it moved out?

I shopped there for parts around early 2003 when they were in their final days there. It was like going back in time 15 years when you walked in the parts dept. building. Faux wood over the walls, old glass cases to showcase things, and a 1987 calander of a woman in a bikini holding a fish.

Did anybody see this article in the Chronicle last month? I really hope it brings some life back to good ole Sharpstown!

The light has turned green for improvements aimed at increasing the Bellaire-Fondren intersection's safety, mobility, aesthetics and reducing flooding along Fondren.

The Southwest Houston Redevelopment Authority announced Tuesday that a contractor will be selected from two bidders - Jerdon Construction of Stafford and Reytec Construction Resources Inc. of Houston - to complete intersection improvements at Bellaire Boulevard at Fondren Road.

The project's engineer, HNTB Architects Engineers Planners, estimated the outlined improvements would cost between $2.5-$3 million.

Those costs will be financed through the (Sharpstown) Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 20, created by the city of Houston in 1999 and governed by the Authority.

Bill Calderon, executive director of the Authority and TIRZ No. 20, said the pilot project will set the tone for roadway improvements to rival those those in the downtown and Galleria areas.

Steve Pittman, communications director for the Authority and the Sharpstown Economic Development Authority, said construction should begin in March. It will be managed by Matthew Lopez, an engineer with Cobb Fendley & Associates.

The bid calls for the installation of four new left turn lanes; custom transit shelters, streetlights and traffic signals; landscaping in the medians and at the intersection's corners; and storm water drainage improvements.

Presently, no left turn is allowed from any of intersection's two adjoining streets. (Bellaire runs east-west; Fondren, north-south). Motorists must proceed through the intersection and make a left or U-turn at the next break in the median, causing a backup in traffic flow.

Signs posted before the intersection indicate this.

According to Houston Police Department data, the intersection was listed among the city's Top 50 Accident Locations from Jan. 1-March 31, 2005.

Nick Patel, owner/manager of Collision Plus Inc. at 7628 Bellaire Blvd., located roughly 500 feet from the intersection, said since his family opened the business in 1992, they've seen a good number of accidents, rollovers and illegal turns.

"Just yesterday (Feb. 2), there were two major accidents, one at noon and the other at 2 p.m.," said Patel's father, Sam.

Patel said the intersection's safety aspects are compounded by Metro bus riders, who must cross Fondren or Bellaire on foot to change bus routes.

Pittman said the intersection's new street lights, traffic signals, bus transit shelters and pavers will not be standard city structures, but custom items similar to those found in downtown and Uptown Cotswold projects.

To alleviate flooding along Fondren, Pittman said 36-inch and 42-inch drainage lines under Bellaire Boulevard will be replaced with 60-inch pipes, which will run west to a drainage ditch that runs parallel to Fondren. This new pipe will be about 1,800 feet in length.

Additional bid specs include roadway pavement removal and replacement, the installation of a new water line, wheelchair ramps, signing and striping.

The intersection improvements are the first piece in a $33 million renovation of Bellaire Boulevard from U.S. 59 to Beltway 8 and Fondren from U.S. 59 to Westpark.

Fred Schiller, general partner of Arena Place, which encompasses two, 20-story office towers, the Arena Theatre and a nine-story parking garage at 7322, 7324 and 7326 Southwest Freeway, said the improvements will have a major impact.

"They will improve access to the whole area, and set the tone for the area as a gateway," Schiller said.

Pittman said the next three projects will improve Bellaire Boulevard between Mary Bates Drive and U.S. 59, and the Bellaire and Fondren Gateways at U.S. 59.

The seven-member TIRZ No. 20 board will meet this month to reconsider those specific improvements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
In the 1949 City Directory, Frank W. Sharp is shown residing on Meadow Lake Lane, just off San Felipe and Weslayan. In other words, not far from his later River Oaks digs. His Oak Forest Construction Co. is listed on Rosslyn.

I came across the same story while reading thru the Chron for '46 and took some notes on the story instead of just the headline. (it was not on p.1 in the Chron.)

The $32M was for 4 developments, 3 new and one old.

1. Oak Forest - 1147a, west of Garden Oaks, 4780 houses, 'homes for veterans in the $6700 price range,' construction was due to start in a couple of weeks.

2. Davy Crockett addition, west of Lamar Hi, south of River Oaks, 153 homes on 37a, $10,000 price range.

3. Royden Oaks - SW corner of River Oaks between Westheimer and San Felipe, 46a tract, construction to start in 1947. This is where Sharp wound up living in 1949.

4. 400 additional homes in the Industrial Addition; no other details.

Sharp was president of the Home Builders Association that year and often in news stories about the housing shortage for veterans and shortage of materials for home building.

A list of officers of the company did not include Louie Welch.

I'm so glad that others had the same mall experience I had with Sharpstown in the early 80's. It was the mall of malls to be at as a teen back then and it was very racially and culturally diversified just like our city, which made it very cool. Galleria was too upscale. I would agree with the Valley Girl type reference in that it was a very hip teen place to hang out back then. Oh for it to be 1982 and a teen again - except with all the income and knowledge I have now. I guess that's never possible.

Unfortunately I see bulldozers in it's future just like AstroWorld R.I.P.

I'm so glad that others had the same mall experience I had with Sharpstown in the early 80's. It was the mall of malls to be at as a teen back then and it was very racially and culturally diversified just like our city, which made it very cool. Galleria was too upscale. I would agree with the Valley Girl type reference in that it was a very hip teen place to hang out back then. Oh for it to be 1982 and a teen again - except with all the income and knowledge I have now. I guess that's never possible.

Unfortunately I see bulldozers in it's future just like AstroWorld R.I.P.

I remember in the 80's when they added the 2nd floor with the big remodel. It was the place to be mall-wise. The Foley's was huge. The bulldozers would be unfortunate.

Seems the in thing now is going back to the open air mall style a la Meyerland and Gulfgate.

What anchor stores remain at Sharpstown? Do you think the Harwin strip contributed to its downfall?

I remember in the 80's when they added the 2nd floor with the big remodel. It was the place to be mall-wise. The Foley's was huge. The bulldozers would be unfortunate.

Seems the in thing now is going back to the open air mall style a la Meyerland and Gulfgate.

What anchor stores remain at Sharpstown? Do you think the Harwin strip contributed to its downfall?

I think Harwin strip had nothing to do with Sharpstown's downfall.

Sharpstown's downfall, had to do with its middle class neighborhoods that surrounded it deteriorating, and then the low rent, low class apartments that attracted the tens of thousands of ultra low income families, druggies, gangsters, etc.

When Sharpstown's potential customers who had disposable incomes left because of problems, the replacement low income families and thugs had much less money to spend. Therefore, Sharpstown's nice clothing stores, big name department stores pulled out, leaving it with many privately owned urban clothing stores, shoe stores, etc. The last few times I went into Sharpstown it seemed like everyone was just walking around, not shopping, just trying to meet women, waste time, etc. Granted, I see the same thing at Memorial City Mall and Galleria malls, but I see a lot more people carrying bags of clothing, etc.

Cliffs notes :

Sharpstown Mall deterioation caused by demographic change to lower income families, and thugs, causing a change in disposable income shopping at mall.

Archived