Neighbors Blocking The Right Of Way

Hi there, I'm looking for help finding the rules which specifically govern what people may and may not do in the right of way. I've spent hours researching and no where can I find the City of Houston ordinances which discuss this specifically.

Here's the story.

As is true in much of the Heights, many blocks do not have sidewalks. This block in particular has no sidewalk, deep ditches, narrow paved street but wide right of way. Residents' fences go right along where the utility lines go. From their fences to the ditch is about 20 feet.

Residents on this block have taken over the right of way with landscaping, rocks, no parking signs and debris so that no one can walk there.

Today the neighbors added yet more rocks. When I told them they cannot block the ROW, as it is public space, I was physically threatened and verbally assaulted (yes I called HPD and they came out but not the point of this post). 

Before I submit the 311's, I want to understand how the city regulates this space and what adjoining property owners can, and cannot, do with this space.

If you have encountered this issue, please describe what the city did and what ordinance(s) govern here and which department at the city responded.

Thank you!

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/ch_42_ordinance_redline.pdf

Around page 54 might provide some more information which does help support your case. It seems like you have a valid concern and your neighbors are in the wrong. 311 might help with your issue. If 311 is unable to provide a solution, I would suggest writing an email to your city council distinct member's office. You would have to check to see if you're in District C or H. Good luck with it all! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kevin Strickland said:

Hi there, I'm looking for help finding the rules which specifically govern what people may and may not do in the right of way. I've spent hours researching and no where can I find the City of Houston ordinances which discuss this specifically.

Here's the story.

As is true in much of the Heights, many blocks do not have sidewalks. This block in particular has no sidewalk, deep ditches, narrow paved street but wide right of way. Residents' fences go right along where the utility lines go. From their fences to the ditch is about 20 feet.

Residents on this block have taken over the right of way with landscaping, rocks, no parking signs and debris so that no one can walk there.

Today the neighbors added yet more rocks. When I told them they cannot block the ROW, as it is public space, I was physically threatened and verbally assaulted (yes I called HPD and they came out but not the point of this post). 

Before I submit the 311's, I want to understand how the city regulates this space and what adjoining property owners can, and cannot, do with this space.

If you have encountered this issue, please describe what the city did and what ordinance(s) govern here and which department at the city responded.

Thank you!

Which road is this you're talking about?  Are you saying it's about 20 feet from the front edge of properties to the ditch on each side?  Including the ditches and the road itself that would be about 60 or so feet, perhaps more, all the way across from the front edge of one property to the front edge of one on the opposite side.  Seems a bit generous given how the Heights is laid out.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Which road is this you're talking about?  Are you saying it's about 20 feet from the front edge of properties to the ditch on each side?  Including the ditches and the road itself that would be about 60 or so feet, perhaps more, all the way across from the front edge of one property to the front edge of one on the opposite side.  Seems a bit generous given how the Heights is laid out.

It's not in the actual Heights. It's near the SPJST Lodge.

• The title was changed to Neighbors Blocking The Right Of Way