METRO Emergency Operations Center At 1910 Fannin St.

hindesky

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Amegy Bank Garage Redevelopment At 1910 Fannin St.
  • The title was changed to Amegy Bank Garage At 1910 Fannin St.
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Emergency Operations Center At 1910 Fannin St.

Reading about this on Metro's website this sounds like an awful project.

From the sounds of it this is mainly going to be a parking garage and staging area for metro police.

Ridemetro.org says this will be 6levels of parking, again fronting a rail station. Why do we always get excited over a huge parking garage adjacent to a rail stop? 

There's a reason we don't have a proper rendering yet. This is a garage being replaced by a bigger garage. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Meanwhile cities like Cincy are doing it right

image.png

I mean the old garage was ugly, but we should be cheering on walkable spaces and TOD in high transit oriented spots. Not only is this lot (1) downtown and (2) on a rail line it is (3) on a rail line for the DOWNTOWN TRANSIT CENTER. It should be the hub of transit for downtown. Why on earth would SIX FLOORS OF PARKING be a good thing right on the rail line. 

The huge Amegy Parking lot right on the north bound rail platform is already embarrassing enough.

The rail stop at the Star is the same, two massive parking structures right on the rail stop and there's more examples. 

It's hard to complain about the garages that predate the rail, but new massive parking garages on a railline called the Downtown Transit center? 

I know that there isn't much going up downtown right now, so any news seems like good news, but no matter how much lipstick they put on this pig it's still going to be a pig. This area has the most residential units downtown and with the residential conversions it is set to get more. So it is disappointing that such a prime spot gets a development that doesn't add to the walkability of the area.

To add insult to injury they have the setback facing main. At least the Transit center building got it right and located the buses on the backside away from main. This development most likely will look like a big old garage with a suburban setback right on the crossroads of transit downtown.

• Like 3

I couldn't find an existing thread about this one, but if it exists, let me know and I'll smoosh them together.

Demolition began a couple of weeks ago on the abandoned parking garage on the block bounded by Main, Saint Joseph Parkway, Fannin, and Pierce.

I walk by this garage most weeks when I go to church, and it's been locked up for at least two years.  The other half of the block is a surface parking lot for Metrocops.

This photo is from this past Saturday, February 3.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1