As Homeless Camps Around Houston Are 'Decommissioned,' Other U.S. Cities Look To Copy The Strategy

BeerNut

As homeless camps around Houston are 'decommissioned,' other U.S. cities look to copy the strategy

The ultimate success of Houston’s encampment strategy could have rippling effects across the country. Cities including Austin and Dallas are seeking to emulate Houston’s program, said Marc Eichenbaum, special assistant to the mayor for homeless initiatives; others, including Denver and Spokane, Wash. are watching closely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Houston probably does better on building public housing and social services facilities without a lot of NIMBYism, it has a lot of dirt cheap housing already too.

Another thought is that Houston is still sort of a gritty blue collar city. There's places that will hire people with a checkered past or felonies and there's slumlords who will rent to them. Unlike in the Bay Area where you have to make a ton of money as a skilled professional and be approved by the corporations that own luxury apartment properties, just to barely get by. The people with a lot of problems don't stand a chance there.

• Like 5

I enjoyed this article. I'm glad that they are approaching this process with compassion, as opposed to just trashing people's stuff and chasing them off. I think it is more sustainable to give people that helping hand, hopefully send them on a better path.

The encampment on the northeast of downtown has gotten pretty big (under 59/69), I wonder if/when they are going to try to 'decommission' that one. It would be a lot of work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Luminare said:

Could you or anyone provide a bullet point version of the article? Apparently this story is behind a paywall.

• Approach a single camp
  • Offer everyone housing
  • "Close" by fencing off the previous encampment

Homeless numbers have dropped from 8,500 in 2011 to 3,800 in 2020. Numbers have plateaued because the number of people becoming homeless is the same as the rate they are being housed. 

Current bottleneck is available housing.  

• Like 3

This link has a VERY detailed description of the strategy if you are interested

https://irp.cdn-website.com/2d521d2c/files/uploaded/Encampment Response Strategy FINAL.pdf

One of the big things with this plan is that they are trying to make the process easy on the individuals with a lot of services beyond just a bed somewhere. For example they are tagging belongings so that they can be taken with the person. Previously they would be confiscated if you got a bed at a shelter. Also things like vet care for your pets etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to As Homeless Camps Around Houston Are 'Decommissioned,' Other U.S. Cities Look To Copy The Strategy