Highway Signage Conventions (Cleveland?)

mattyt36

I have always wondered why the Eastex Freeway was signed to Cleveland, while I-10 West is signed to San Antonio and I-45 North to Dallas.  There are plenty of cities of equal and greater population than Cleveland on the way to Dallas and San Antonio, even keeping the suburbs out of it.  I guess Beaumont makes sense for I-10 East in terms of relative size, but there's a romantic in me that would like it to say New Orleans.  The Southwest Freeway to Victoria I guess makes more sense than Cleveland in terms of population size, but I say it should go to the end of the line as with Galveston . . . Laredo.  I just assumed there were different signage conventions for US highways than for interstate highways, but that doesn't make much sense considering 290 is signed to Austin.  And then 288 gets double billing, Lake Jackson and Freeport!  How about Beaumont and New Orleans?  Or San Antonio and El Paso, or even Los Angeles?

Are there any experts who work in the industry that can enlighten? @MaxConcrete I'm talking to you!

(Admittedly much of my fatigue is having to explain to people that the sign to Cleveland doesn't mean Cleveland, OH.  My mother's whole family is from Cleveland, too, so it should say a lot that it bothers me!)

Apologies if this has been discussed before, as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Edited by mattyt36

22 minutes ago, Ross said:

Probably because there aren't any cities of any size on 59. Also Cleveland is where the name switches from I-69 to US 59

Lufkin? Nacogdoches?! Hell, even Diboll had a Fortune 500 company HQ’ed there until they moved to (gag) Austin. 

But I think you’ve answered it, Cleveland is where it becomes a divided highway and not a freeway. Although I must ask it’s been signed for Cleveland my entire life, has 59 really been a freeway to Cleveland for 40 years? Surely not.

Thank you cspwal

(@maxconcrete, what an insult that link is on dallasfreeways.com!)

I have heard my great aunt talk about taking a train from Cleveland to Houston, so maybe that’s it. It was the first stop on the line outside of the city?

Edited by mattyt36