East Downtown Redevelopment

9 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Did some digging to find out what all the construction is in east downtown. Found the website below. Not sure if it that has been posted elsewhere. Really interesting. 

https://gis.ehrainc.com/portal/apps/storymaps/stories/b8499817945e4c158cd81e4b172ca789

wow. that is a very well done graphic presentation. More of these would be great. South Downtown really has come a long way from a place you would never even think about driving through or even leave your car at night to a place that is a destination and has a really distinct and interesting vibe. It still has a long way to go. It needs more people. More pieces to give it a broader range of appeal. What I do like about it is that the new construction with integration of the old feels very...Houston. In a good way. A rare moment indeed where something new and fresh doesn't feel forced or like everything else you have seen before. It really is coming into its own. It just needs a lot more, and I think it will get there.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

On Lamar and Dallas they have installed new light poles and ripped out all the grass and dug holes for trees. All around the east village development. 

But, the work has been dormant for at least 3 months. They did not replace any of the grass they removed, they haven't planted any trees, and the light poles aren't functional yet. It really looks bad. And to top it off, they put a light pole right in front of the Houston sign next to 8th Wonder. 

I thought maybe they were waiting out the colder months to plant in the spring but that has passed and now we are into summer and the hottest months of the year. 

Edited by Eastdwntwn
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

On Lamar and Dallas they have installed new light poles and ripped out all the grass and dug holes for trees. All around the east village development. 

But, the work has been dormant for at least 3 months. They did not replace any of the grass they removed, they haven't planted any trees, and the light poles aren't functional yet. It really looks bad. And to top it off, they put a light pole right in front of the Houston sign next to 8th Wonder. 

I thought maybe they were waiting out the colder months to plant in the spring but that has passed and now we are into summer and the hottest months of the year. 

Partly a joke, or maybe the truth, but maybe the East Downtown TIRZ ran outta cash? Is it a city project, is it tied to some road/bike lane work, or is it a neighborhood initiative? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to it.

It does sync with goal #2 on the TIRZ page http://eadohouston.com/tirz-15/#1645123285128-6b4fbfb8-19df 

• Like 1

I doubt they ran out of money mid project, since bids are reviewed and modified to fit their budget. This sounds exactly like the cluster**** going on along Caroline. I would pin blame on the contractor for not properly planning/executing the project. 

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 2

I know it doesn't happen often, and I'm not suggesting this is the scenario here, but I've seen small road projects stall for months because the contractor did the bankruptcy thing.

if this is the case, it sucks, but it will eventually start moving again.

Tangentially related, but I've been really frustrated with the EaDo Management District. I've been interested in listening in on board meetings and potentially getting involved. I've called and emailed multiple times for information, but they always say they'll follow up and then never do. The website is always out of date. I even offered to help run the website for free (this is what I do for a living) and they said they'd follow up and then never did. I was able to virtually attend one meeting a long time ago and that's all the luck I've had.

Is anyone else involved or go to/listen in on these meetings?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Tangentially related, but I've been really frustrated with the EaDo Management District. I've been interested in listening in on board meetings and potentially getting involved. I've called and emailed multiple times for information, but they always say they'll follow up and then never do. The website is always out of date. I even offered to help run the website for free (this is what I do for a living) and they said they'd follow up and then never did. I was able to virtually attend one meeting a long time ago and that's all the luck I've had.

Is anyone else involved or go to/listen in on these meetings?

I tried to do this myself when I moved to Eado in 2017. I hit the same brick wall. All I know is that Shahin Naghavi was on the board when I looked it up last, he is a real estate agent/developer for several lots in Eado. 

https://www.har.com/homedetail/3005-markel-dr-houston-tx-77003/13591910

https://www.har.com/homedetail/0-nagle-st-houston-tx-77003/13783858

SHAHIN NAGHAVI

Edited by Eastdwntwn
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 6/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

They are finally working on this again - trees are finally filling in the holes

• Like 3