3921 N Main St

IntheKnowHouston

3921 North Main in the Greater Heights was once the location of Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurant Spanish Flower.

Does anyone remember what other businesses operated here?

The property was on the market in 2017 and purchased shortly thereafter.

https://loopnet.com/Listing/3921-N-Main-St-Houston-TX/8788736/print

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

I saw this in the Houston Heights Foodie group on Facebook last week:

"There's a new bar & grill in the works for the Montie Beach neighborhood within the Greater Heights area.

The two-story building (and property) at 3921 N Main St will be converted into a food and beverage establishment named El Cucuy. It's located a few blocks from the Heights Place retail center housing Hughie's and gelato shop Dolce Neve.

El Cucuy, which has a location in New Orleans, is a restaurant from a former Houston food truck operator. [It's a] Mexican street food concept. Expect to see dishes like street tacos, tortas, Sonoran-style hot dogs, and elote."

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to 3921 N. Main St.
  • The title was changed to 3921 N Main St
  • 1 month later...

Has there been any visible renovations at 3921 North Main St? The property will be home to El Cucuy, a bar & grill concept from New Orleans.

El Cucuy is described as a restaurant, bar, and discotheque in their Instagram bio.

In an Instagram post from December, El Cucuy estimated an opening of summer or fall of 2022:

"Houston Heights Summer/Fall 2022. Antojitos Mexicanos style kitchen, outside cosmic cervecería patio, indoor agave high tide libations port, upstairs late night discotheque."

spacer.png
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYH6B6xF07U/

https://www.instagram.com/elcucuyhtown/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twisterhunt said:

Unfortunately, not a thing appears to have been done. I remember seeing this post last year and being excited about the prospects of something new in the area / rehabbing this building, so I've kept an eye out every time I drive past...

Thanks. 

Who knows why it appears there hasn't been noticeable changes, but I hope it comes together soon. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/13/2023 at 11:09 AM, twisterhunt said:

Looks like this project could finally be moving forward - from this week:

Screenshot_20230513_130732_Chrome.jpg

This is good news. It does appear permits related to renovation/construction for El Cucuy means this is moving forward. Looking at the plan review inspection report, the city approved plans for permitting in late April.

I wonder if renovations El Cucuy will be completed by spring 2024?

El Cucuy bills itself as a restaurant, bar, and discotheque. It's slated for 3921 N Main St in the Greater Heights area.

268dTs3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, twisterhunt said:

On 7/31/2023 at 4:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

This is good news. It does appear permits related to renovation/construction for El Cucuy means this is moving forward. Looking at the plan review inspection report, the city approved plans for permitting in late April.

El Cucuy bills itself as a restaurant, bar, and discotheque. It's slated for 3921 N Main St in the Greater Heights area.

268dTs3.jpg

El Cucuy posted an update to its Instagram yesterday. Billed as a restaurant, bar, and discotheque, El Cucuy informed its followers renovations are moving along.

The bar & grill concept out of New Orleans is located at 3921 N Main St. Additionally, El Cucuy's updated Instagram bio states the team behind Houston's Dan Electros is also involved with this location.

The caption from the Instagram post:

Been awhile yall. After a very long, long permitting process, we finally have resumed construction. Stay up-to-date here on our progress as we try and get this beautiful restoration complete. Can’t wait to show y’all the final space!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwyOA2_yR_M/

oTBCeqC.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, twisterhunt said:

On 7/31/2023 at 4:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

268dTs3.jpg

Plumbing permit was pulled today for 3921 N Main St. 

Located on the property is El Cucuy, which is undergoing renovations. It bills itself as a restaurant, bar, and discotheque. 

I assume the Montie Beach neighborhood bar may open sometime in 2024.

g1sqQX9.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/4/2024 at 1:46 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

What a great save for the neighborhood

On 1/12/2024 at 9:48 AM, BigRed said:

Yeah this is awesome to see

I agree. Saving this building and restoring it is great for the neighborhood and the city, IMHO.

As previously mentioned, the Houston outpost of El Cucuy involves Alex Jackson and Will Thomas. Both are the new owners of Dan Electros. Eater Houston published an article last fall with a blurb about Jackson, who is a local real estate developer. He is also partnering with El Cucuy's owners on the Houston location. The article also highlighted Jackson's work in developing other properties like Vibrant's Montrose location and natural wine store and bar Light Years.

Jackson said this about those properties and more, which I would think also applies to the 3921 N Main property:

“I have a love of fixing up older properties,” Jackson admits, citing that most of the structures he acquires are considered tear-downs. He aims to give them another lease on life. “By keeping these older buildings around, we’re preserving their history and creating something unique for the city.” 

https://houston.eater.com/23969503/houston-live-music-venue-bar-dan-electros-heights-openings

El Cucuy recently shared update on the progress of its forthcoming Houston location. The update and a photo were posted Friday to Instagram.

Located at 3921 North Main St, El Cucuy is a bar & grill concept out of New Orleans. The Houston location involves the team behind Dan Electros.

Caption from the Instagram post:

Doors and windows are in!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C59Uw21SboF/

7pipHDC.jpeg

• Like 2