transit only lanes coming to downtown

pokemonizepic

"METRO's latest project, in partnership with the City of Houston, will bring new markings and signage to the dedicated bus and carpool lanes along Milam and Travis to distinguish them from regular traffic lanes."

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXMETRO/bulletins/2f895a2

https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/Red-Lanes-Downtown.aspx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am a single occupancy vehicle wanting to make a right turn, how soon can I cut through two lanes of traffic to make a right turn before it is considered driving in those lanes? Or how can this be done safely? It seems dangerous to me, but it's Houston so par for the course I guess.

10 hours ago, kbates2 said:

It’s a dumb and generally unenforceable rule.

The last time I was on a jury, it was municipal court. The defendant had been ticketed for being in the right hand lane marked with the diamond signs. We found him not guilty because the City didn't prove the signs were properly placed and authorized, which was a requirement in the jury instructions. I imagine the same thing applies here. The City prosecutor told me that there's no way Public Works is going to provide a witness to prove the signs were properly place, etc, so the City loses most of these cases.

15 hours ago, TacoDog said:

I am a single occupancy vehicle wanting to make a right turn, how soon can I cut through two lanes of traffic to make a right turn before it is considered driving in those lanes? Or how can this be done safely? It seems dangerous to me, but it's Houston so par for the course I guess.

I mean, you would have two blocks, so 660 feet. 

It isn't something we are inventing: https://nacto.org/publication/transit-street-design-guide/intersections/intersection-design/shared-right-turn-lane/

15 hours ago, kbates2 said:

It’s a dumb and generally unenforceable rule.

It is of course enforceable. Just only enforceable by Metro PD, so they likely aren't going to do it. 

5 hours ago, Ross said:

The last time I was on a jury, it was municipal court. The defendant had been ticketed for being in the right hand lane marked with the diamond signs. We found him not guilty because the City didn't prove the signs were properly placed and authorized, which was a requirement in the jury instructions. I imagine the same thing applies here. The City prosecutor told me that there's no way Public Works is going to provide a witness to prove the signs were properly place, etc, so the City loses most of these cases.

Honestly shocked that a single ticket has even been written in recent memory. Is that normal for txdot or COH or Harris County to have to prove in court that every traffic sign was properly placed? 

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

I mean, you would have two blocks, so 660 feet. 

It isn't something we are inventing: https://nacto.org/publication/transit-street-design-guide/intersections/intersection-design/shared-right-turn-lane/

It is of course enforceable. Just only enforceable by Metro PD, so they likely aren't going to do it. 

Honestly shocked that a single ticket has even been written in recent memory. Is that normal for txdot or COH or Harris County to have to prove in court that every traffic sign was properly placed? 

Yes, the State(city, county, etc) has to prove the traffic control device was properly authorized and placed. I do think, however, that the defendant in the case I mentioned somehow pissed off the cop, and received several tickets, and ended up making a deal to take one of them to court. That's based on the demeanor of all involved.

HPD can enforce the right lane restrictions. The case I was on was for a ticket written by HPD. I think any certified police officer can write a ticket anywhere in the county they work, for any traffic infraction. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ross said:

Yes, the State(city, county, etc) has to prove the traffic control device was properly authorized and placed. I do think, however, that the defendant in the case I mentioned somehow pissed off the cop, and received several tickets, and ended up making a deal to take one of them to court. That's based on the demeanor of all involved.

HPD can enforce the right lane restrictions. The case I was on was for a ticket written by HPD. I think any certified police officer can write a ticket anywhere in the county they work, for any traffic infraction. I could be wrong.

The only reason why I said that about metro pd, is because metro put it in the FAQ on this new project that it would be enforced there. 

That is interesting about being properly authorized and placed, though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...