Townhomes At 3314 Harrisburg Blvd.

Waste water permits in the system for 3314 Harrisburg Blvd by Niazi Family Investments, the owners of King Fuel, Inc. (the gas station on the corner of Harrisburg + Milby). They own quite a few parcels of land in the area.

In my experience, WW permits indicate the start of a project or the preparation for a land sale. Can't find any additional information on the land use plans right now.

Their parent company is linked to a billion different smaller entities:

image.png.4e08f72d71020af29eb2635ed177de33.png

• Like 2

This block or two along Harrisburg has some nice momentum. Fortunately, have to think that they wouldn't be building another gas station just two blocks from their other location and this lot is about 25% smaller at 14,800 sq ft. 

Land is this area is appraised at $32/sq ft. Feel like it is probably worth a bit more than that considering that double lot a block away is asking for $172/sq ft.

I wondered if the tax bill is pushing along a sale, but it is probably that massive potential valuation. Their tax bill went from in $675/month 2017 to $1050/month last year. No increase for 2021. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ljchou said:

Townhomes?

Looks like it. There really aren't any townhomes near here. Maybe Milby @ Menard are the closest ones? 

I really enjoy that there is a shared driveway with only one curb cut in the middle. Commercial has some momentum in this area, why not residential now? 

Only 500' from the light rail station.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, wilcal said:

Looks like it. There really aren't any townhomes near here. Maybe Milby @ Menard are the closest ones? 

I really enjoy that there is a shared driveway with only one curb cut in the middle. Commercial has some momentum in this area, why not residential now? 

Only 500' from the light rail station.

Valesco and Garrow. probably the same distance as the ones you reference.

then you can go south to McKinney and turn east or west and find plenty of townhomes.

6 hours ago, samagon said:

then you can go south to McKinney and turn east or west and find plenty of townhomes.

Nah, you win by about 500 feet actually. Yours only about 1,000 feet. That still is pretty far, though. 

I forgot that New Hope has retail space that is empty. Going to take more than a couple of townhomes, but hopefully we'll get that filled in, too. 

19 hours ago, samagon said:

If we want to improve density in this area, we need more than 10-12 townhomes every five or so blocks. It especially makes sense to build more townhomes in this immediate area due to the proximity to the Coffee Plant/Second Ward Station for the Green Line.

Once you cross the tracks and hit McKinney, you’ve entered EaDo, which if anything has a bit of an over-saturation of townhomes. 

13 hours ago, wilcal said:

Nah, you win by about 500 feet actually. Yours only about 1,000 feet. That still is pretty far, though. 

I forgot that New Hope has retail space that is empty. Going to take more than a couple of townhomes, but hopefully we'll get that filled in, too. 

Precisely.

• 5 months later...
On 11/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, thedistrict84 said:

If we want to improve density in this area, we need more than 10-12 townhomes every five or so blocks. It especially makes sense to build more townhomes in this immediate area due to the proximity to the Coffee Plant/Second Ward Station for the Green Line.

Once you cross the tracks and hit McKinney, you’ve entered EaDo, which if anything has a bit of an over-saturation of townhomes. 

Precisely.

it'll take time, but it'll get there. 

hopefully the townhomes stay in the neighborhoods, and then along Harrisburg that's where we get the bigger apartment complexes. 

I mean, if that (mostly) empty lot adjacent to the coffee plant LR stop only gets townhomes, that's a loss, I mean, it'd be better than is there now, but would it be great 10 years from now?

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I mean, if that (mostly) empty lot adjacent to the coffee plant LR stop only gets townhomes, that's a loss, I mean, it'd be better than is there now, but would it be great 10 years from now?

It was platted as a reserve, so won't be townhomes. 

If you go on Houston Map Viewer, you can turn on the PlatTracker layer under Planning & Development department. It should show all applications from 2013 forward. 

https://mycity.houstontx.gov/houstonmapviewer/

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

@wilcalThe to-be built townhomes are already listed on zillow (https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/510-Sampson-St-Houston-TX-77003/2063375570_zpid/)

Perhaps they're just gauging interest?

I think we are conflating two different pieces of property.

Purple are the townhomes and green is the one that I  was talking about that is going to be the highish-rise.

The light rail stop IS directly in front of the green arrow lot FWIW 😜

StNfvx4.png

14 hours ago, wilcal said:

Purple are the townhomes and green is the one that I  was talking about that is going to be the highish-rise.

StNfvx4.png

Thanks for clarifying! This topic is about the purple.

You can find information on the green here:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wilcal said:

StNfvx4.png

yes, thanks. and sorry for derailing the thread.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Empty Lot Across From New Hope Housing - 3314 Harrisburg Blvd.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It is five townhomes (non-duplex). Kind of an interesting design with an 18' shared driveway that splits from the opening on Sampson St.

Edit: note that this is also along a TOD primary street, so note the public sidewalk easements, which are kind of abnormal. They are required to measure the pedestrian realm from back of curb, which is why that is dimensioned. 20' along Sampson and 15' along Harrisburg is required, so they are having to give up building on a chunk of their property.

Will be interesting to see how they fence it.

Ui0jx30.png

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Townhomes At 3314 Harrisburg Blvd.
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ljchou said:

There will be a large shared driveway in front. It is a bit unusual, especially given that each could have their own short driveway and a small backyard had the chosen a different layout.

I don't think it's that simple, I bet since the street is rather wide there is a good amount of "minimum setback" and the fact that is is next to an intersection and the metro rail made the city probably not want 5 separate driveways so close to the corner but I'm not totally sure. I would have put the driveway in the back of the homes but anyways. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I don't think it's that simple, I bet since the street is rather wide there is a good amount of "minimum setback" and the fact that is is next to an intersection and the metro rail made the city probably not want 5 separate driveways so close to the corner but I'm not totally sure. I would have put the driveway in the back of the homes but anyways. 

The City probably wouldn't allow a shared driveway entrance on Harrisburg, so the entrance is on Sampson. From the drawing, the curb cut for the entrance appears to be in the middle of the driveway, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, iah77 said:

This actually makes a lot of sense given the high traffic of the area. Thanks!

On 12/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, iah77 said:

Yeah, I agree, but it may have been annoying for homeowners to only be able to enter the property from one-way side of Harrisburg and it is particularly awkward right here.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, Ross said:

The City probably wouldn't allow a shared driveway entrance on Harrisburg, so the entrance is on Sampson. From the drawing, the curb cut for the entrance appears to be in the middle of the driveway, but I could be wrong.

The city does mandate shared driveways (or a private 28'+ drive) on major thoroughfares and along Transit Oriented Development corridors. Both of these blockfaces fall under the TOD ordinance . The shared driveway is likely along Sampson so that they can do 5 lots wide instead of 4 and because the entrance to the shared driveway needs to be 60' (I think that's the number) away from the intersection of Harrisburg and Sampson. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...