Jump to content

Downfall of Art Acevedo as Miami PD Police Chief: Where did it all go wrong ?


Recommended Posts

Good evening HAIF family. I'm assuming y'all heard about the suspension of Miami PD Police Chief Art Acevedo after only 6 months on the job. 

How did things escalate so quickly to the point of Acevedo's suspension & potential termination ?

 

https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1447711830768590848/

 

https://twitter.com/bigangrylaw/status/1448372250088861696/

 

Any thoughts on this development of Acevedo's suspension as Miami PD Police Chief & the ramifications ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This man has been failing upward his entire life and has a string of controversies behind him, including sharing revenge porn of a subordinate while working as a CHiP.

He's also very much a publicity-seeking hothead — doing shit like kneeling with protestors at Houston's George Floyd march for the 'Gram while his own staff was trampling those very same protestors with horses an hour later.

I think Miami did not do their due diligence, bought into the image he presented, and decided after that fact that he was a bad fit. The Cuban Mafia thing, and other allegations brought up in Miami, don't even scratch the surface of the ways this guy has failed. They just wanted an excuse to get rid of him. That's my take


https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-jul-09-me-chp9-story.html — revenge porn story

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Acevedo-overcame-controversy-on-way-to-top-16040737.php — catalogue of scandals including the harding street raid and a corruption while he was austin's chief

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2021 at 5:08 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Talking about a fall from grace. 

On 10/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Brittanie Shey said:

This man has been failing upward his entire life and has a string of controversies behind him, including sharing revenge porn of a subordinate while working as a CHiP.

He's also very much a publicity-seeking hothead — doing shit like kneeling with protestors at Houston's George Floyd march for the 'Gram while his own staff was trampling those very same protestors with horses an hour later.

I think Miami did not do their due diligence, bought into the image he presented, and decided after that fact that he was a bad fit. The Cuban Mafia thing, and other allegations brought up in Miami, don't even scratch the surface of the ways this guy has failed. They just wanted an excuse to get rid of him. That's my take


https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-jul-09-me-chp9-story.html — revenge porn story

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Acevedo-overcame-controversy-on-way-to-top-16040737.php — catalogue of scandals including the harding street raid and a corruption while he was austin's chief

Brittanie: tell us how you truly feel 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand all the "tell us how you really feel" posts. Brittanie cited ample evidence to support her opinion of the guy. The discussion we should probably be having is, how did he climb so high? His career should have ended with the revenge porn incident (and that was in the days before cell phones... this guy was like a pioneer of the art). What is it about the image this guy presents or his loudmouth way of making ridiculous, polarizing statements that made cities want to keep hiring him as a public steward?

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

What is it about the image this guy presents or his loudmouth way of making ridiculous, polarizing statements that made cities want to keep hiring him as a public steward?

 

I think it is a misunderstanding of what candor and honest actually is. Being frank is not the same thing as having no filters and I fear the distinction is being lost on too many. Also, hyperbole has become the norm. The "shoot from the hip [figuratively I hope]" style seems to be popular with those who do not apprehend nuance and subtlety.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

WOW! I wonder if Acevedo will bounce back & get another job as Police Chief somewhere in the country ?

It might be easier to just get a job in security consulting.  I had a neighbor for a while who was a big-city police chief.  When he got bounced, that's what he did. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, editor said:

It might be easier to just get a job in security consulting.  I had a neighbor for a while who was a big-city police chief.  When he got bounced, that's what he did. 

Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston reported a few days earlier Acevedo wouldn't run for Los Angeles County Sheriff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...