Betirri's Art At 720 Sampson St.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only in Houston would you ever see this. On the one hand I praise its cleverness, and uniqueness, but on the other hand this is probably the dumbest location to put a town home I've ever seen. Literally between two functioning railroads and industrial all around it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Luminare said:

Only in Houston would you ever see this. On the one hand I praise its cleverness, and uniqueness, but on the other hand this is probably the dumbest location to put a town home I've ever seen. Literally between two functioning railroads and industrial all around it.

The two buildings to the left of the townhome are apartments. So there is more than industrial around it. 

That's a cookie-cutter design they use in Chicago to replace what are called "two-flats" and bungalows.  People hate them because they pop up in the middle of nice, older neighborhoods and look like something from another planet.  They look fine if there's a whole block of them, but mixed with other housing stock, they're very jarring.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 3:52 PM, editor said:

That's a cookie-cutter design they use in Chicago to replace what are called "two-flats" and bungalows.  People hate them because they pop up in the middle of nice, older neighborhoods and look like something from another planet.  They look fine if there's a whole block of them, but mixed with other housing stock, they're very jarring.

Yeah, the same thing has been happening in Houston for at least 25 years.

On 12/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, Fortune said:

The two buildings to the left of the townhome are apartments. So there is more than industrial around it. 

Maybe by "literally" he meant "figuratively".  (A lot of people seem to think that's what "literally" means).  😁

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Maybe by "literally" he meant "figuratively".  (A lot of people seem to think that's what "literally" means).  😁

with the use of "and" in the sentence, I felt it was 2 individual statements about the single property.

literally between two functioning railroads

-and-

industrial all around it

if you take the denotative meaning of the second part, then yes, it would exclude the possibility of anything other than industrial encompassing all aspects of the area immediately surrounding the lot, but I'd suspect the more connotative meaning the second part of the statement was that industrial dominates the area.

I 💘 English

Edited by samagon

22 minutes ago, samagon said:

with the use of "and" in the sentence, I felt it was 2 individual statements about the single property.

literally between two functioning railroads

-and-

industrial all around it

if you take the denotative meaning of the second part, then yes, it would exclude the possibility of anything other than industrial encompassing all aspects of the area immediately surrounding the lot, but I'd suspect the more connotative meaning the second part of the statement was that industrial dominates the area.

I 💘 English

Somebody call the semicolon!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Interesting townhome being built on a tiny lot near the corner of Sampson and Rusk - across the parking lot from Sampson Lofts

Sculpture

I've seen this design before somewhere...

T3UFX_SQ2_0000000099_N_A_SLp?$300x400_re

I think my daughter has one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

the forced perspectives inside will be as impressive as they are on the outside, I like it.

on the inside, you could go with really abnormally large wall hangings on the big end, with overstuffed furniture, then on the small end, go with tiny wall hangings, and furniture. so when you are standing on the big end, looking at the narrow end, it feels really long.

or, you could go the other direction. smaller furniture and wall hangings on the wide end, then overstuffed and big wall hangings on the narrow end. it'll look like an Alice in Wonderland kind of view.

the only way this could be better is if the narrow and wide end alternated on each floor.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

IMG_0426 IMG_0427

36 minutes ago, Erik Asuncion said:

I guess I do not see it. I do not understand how this is a "sculpture." It looks like any regular townhouse. 

if you compare the two photos above, one side appears to be somewhere around 8-10' wide. the other side is at least 20-25' wide.

I'm not sure sculpture is what I'd use to define this, but it's not like any regular townhouse.

I'm all about funky colors on houses. it's sad if the Barbi dreamhouse pink is the final color, that will be all people will see, when they should be seeing the dimensional features as the standout.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Erik Asuncion said:

I guess I do not see it. I do not understand how this is a "sculpture." It looks like any regular townhouse. 

It's considered a sculpture because no one would actually live in a structure so close to an active train track. Even deaf folks (who wouldn't be deaf after a year living here) would be startled from their sleep because of the vibrations as the engine and cars roll by.

• Haha 1

Am I the only one that actually likes this and sees a lot of potential 😂, it's quirky. Maybe the owner wants to build a "barbie dream house." The owner has a big opportunity to turn it into a pink barbie house that a lot of people will actually go out to see lol. If anything I hope there's more pink and really nice garden to fit the entire vision.

If this ends up being just a regular townhouse painted pink......then maybe everyone else is right and this is awful lol.

The location is horrible - it does have a good view of downtown but is surrounded by trains.....other than that, I think I like it....I assume it will be residential, but maybe it is something like an art studio.  I will be curious to see what the asking price is if it isn't being built for someone

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's something about train noise that you get used to. 

I lived at Dakota Lofts which is very close to the freight line, and it was only bad for the first couple of weeks. And that was the the leakiest, least-insulated building I've ever lived in. The windows were original. So nothing to mitigate the train noise. 

I also lived in a building facing the frog point of four elevated train lines, most of which made screeching 90-degree turns every five minutes.  Good windows and insulation helped, and again, I got used to it in a few weeks. 

A66E771F-00F8-4C5D-A59D-E92903AE46C7.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, samagon said:

if you compare the two photos above, one side appears to be somewhere around 8-10' wide. the other side is at least 20-25' wide.

I'm not sure sculpture is what I'd use to define this, but it's not like any regular townhouse.

I'm all about funky colors on houses. it's sad if the Barbi dreamhouse pink is the final color, that will be all people will see, when they should be seeing the dimensional features as the standout.

I suspect that the dreamhouse pink is the final color.  You wouldn't use that as a primer coat.  I'm sure the intention is to stand out, however garishly.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 3:08 PM, editor said:

There's something about train noise that you get used to. 

I lived at Dakota Lofts which is very close to the freight line, and it was only bad for the first couple of weeks. And that was the the leakiest, least-insulated building I've ever lived in. The windows were original. So nothing to mitigate the train noise. 

I also lived in a building facing the frog point of four elevated train lines, most of which made screeching 90-degree turns every five minutes.  Good windows and insulation helped, and again, I got used to it in a few weeks. 

A66E771F-00F8-4C5D-A59D-E92903AE46C7.jpeg

Our first apartment after getting married was one door down from the main line running into CSX's Tilford Yard in Atlanta.  Plus we were near a crossing.  After a few weeks we never noticed the trains going by.  I'd bet, since this is clearly a custom job, that they've already built in some sound proofing.