Will Mayor Turner's performance influence the next election?

dbigtex56

I voted for Mayor Turner, partially because I believed in him, partially because the alternatives were so bleak.
The final of his limited terms has raised some troubling questions about his judgement and integrity. There's the matter of the undistributed funds for Harvey relief, denying support for buying existing structures to be used as affordable housing, his dismissal of concerns regarding reopening Spur 527, the affordable housing contracts he approved having the appearance of conflict of interest, the firing of the housing director who publicly raised questions about the bidding process, etc. 
Although the City of Houston elections are officially non-partisan, everyone knows which are the Democratic and Republican candidates. Is there the possibility of a backlash against Turner that will propel a "non-partisan" Republican candidate into office?

• Like 2

Turner's recent fumbles are garden variety City Hall stuff that the average voter doesn't care about.  And the election isn't until 2023. 

The city of Houston is decidedly blue and it would take extraordinary circumstances for a Republican to win a mayoral race.  And the Republican bench for Mayor is not deep and is mostly old white guys.  Anyone remotely aligned with Trump would be DOA.  Anyone from the Tex Leg who voted for the abortion ban is DOA.  The only shot would be a more ambiguous center right candidate from the business community or a former pro athlete, etc. who has never run for office.  Self funded would help too.  

• Like 1

The city of Houston may be decidedly blue, but its on the conservative end of that spectrum.  Whoever we get will most likely be a centrist.  We won't be seeing anyone winning by promising to raise taxes to fund social experiments or declaring they'll defund HPD.  What I'm more curious to see is how the next Harris county judge election unfolds.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, august948 said:

The city of Houston may be decidedly blue, but its on the conservative end of that spectrum.  Whoever we get will most likely be a centrist.  We won't be seeing anyone winning by promising to raise taxes to fund social experiments or declaring they'll defund HPD.  What I'm more curious to see is how the next Harris county judge election unfolds.

The County Judge race just got a lot more interesting with Martina Dixon throwing her hat into the ring.

Humble ISD president Martina Dixon to challenge Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo in 2022 election

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I voted for Mayor Turner, partially because I believed in him, partially because the alternatives were so bleak.
The final of his limited terms has raised some troubling questions about his judgement and integrity. There's the matter of the undistributed funds for Harvey relief, denying support for buying existing structures to be used as affordable housing, his dismissal of concerns regarding reopening Spur 527, the affordable housing contracts he approved having the appearance of conflict of interest, the firing of the housing director who publicly raised questions about the bidding process, etc. 
Although the City of Houston elections are officially non-partisan, everyone knows which are the Democratic and Republican candidates. Is there the possibility of a backlash against Turner that will propel a "non-partisan" Republican candidate into office?

Big question is whether State Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston) will run for the Mayoralty in 2023 ?

Isn't Houston City Controller Christopher Brown (D) supposed to be running as well ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, mkultra25 said:

The County Judge race just got a lot more interesting with Martina Dixon throwing her hat into the ring.

Humble ISD president Martina Dixon to challenge Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo in 2022 election

Sounds like just what the nation's third largest county needs, an ideological Republican from Humble, who somehow is able to say the following unironically:

“It’s a God thing for me,” she told supporters. “It was heavy on my heart, and I prayed and I have peace,” she said. She talked about the first sentence in the “Purpose-Driven Life” by Rick Warren and how “It’s not about me.”

Sure, no doubt, lady.

What could possibly go wrong?  I guess she talks to God, so that could be a plus.  Maybe she can ask for fewer hurricanes?

Edited by mattyt36