Tumble 22 At 1017 Houston Ave.

hindesky

Ny80iOb.jpg

https://houston.eater.com/2021/7/29/22599417/tony-mandolas-relocating-washington-corridor

Days after stalwart Houston seafood restaurant Tony Mandola’s closed its doors, it looks as if the beloved spot has already found a new home.

A sales tax permit application filed with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts indicates that Tony Mandola’s has plans to open at 1017 Houston Avenue, in the space formerly occupied by Avenue Grill. In a phone call with Eater, a representative for Laurenzo Restaurant Group confirmed that the Houston Avenue space would be the future home of Tony Mandola’s. 

According to LoopNet, where the property was previously available for lease, the 3,728 square foot space building has been closed since 2018, immediately after a “significant” remodel that included a new roof and extensive updates to the space’s kitchen. 

Tony Mandola’s permanently closed its doors on July 28 after a decade in the city’s culinary scene. Throughout the years, the restaurant developed a devoted clientele of regulars thanks to its bountiful raw bar and top-notch service. When the closure was announced, co-owner Phyllis Mandola announced that a new location for the restaurant was in the works, and would be announced “soon.”

A timeline in which Houstonians can expect this longtime restaurant to make a comeback has not yet been announced. The sales tax permit is set to go into effect in October 2021.

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Tony Mandola's New Location - 1017 Houston Ave.
  • 2 months later...

It appears the building at 1017 Houston Avenue was being renovated for Tony Mandola's, but renovations ceased. At least, that's what I gathered from the photos in the marketing flyer.

Main dining room from front anatomical right corner
ksLf7go.jpg

Main dining room from front anatomical left corner
GB68x8P.jpg

Main dining room from anatomical left side
WFg9TIl.jpg

Main dining room from anatomical left side facing bar
NrPIDAO.jpg

Wall subdividing main dining and bar area
mYKhhUi.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, Earlydays said:

Looking at all the pictures in the flyer it appears they found issues that required major demolition of the foundation throughout the building. Maybe some sort of conflict with the contractor, etc.????

Good observation. It's possible that could be one of the reasons Tony Mandola's isn't moving forward at this location. I hope the restaurant will find a new home soon.

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Someone is moving forward with opening this location.

2Ezql2a.png

1017 Houston Ave LLC lists local developers Jon Deal and Todd Johnson as managers. Also listed is Roland Laurenzo, the restaurateur behind El Tiempo Cantina and Laurenzo's. 

I recall seeing a LLC Laurenzo filed recently for Lil' Laurenzo's. Maybe Lil' Laurenzo's is opening at 1017 Houston Ave? Or maybe another El Tiempo location? Hopefully, details regarding the property will be reported soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

1017 Houston Ave LLC lists local developers Jon Deal and Todd Johnson as managers. Also listed is Roland Laurenzo, the restaurateur behind El Tiempo Cantina and Laurenzo's. 

I recall seeing a LLC Laurenzo filed recently for Lil' Laurenzo's. Maybe Lil' Laurenzo's is opening at 1017 Houston Ave? Or maybe another El Tiempo location? Hopefully, details regarding the property will be reported soon.

That’s exciting! For some reason I doubt it’s another el tiempo, but I wouldn’t be mad.

lorenzos is also close, but maybe if lil lorenzos is different enough?

i am hopeful they do a nice job with the property!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

Door was open so I peeked inside, there were a couple of workers but neither one knew what this was going to be.

Permits on the front door still say Tony Mandola's.

9gjTVhw.jpg

m5UMMHU.jpg

JwA5Id5.jpg

dUMd7Bi.jpg

Of course the permits are still there, renovations were never completed. But it doesn't mean Tony Mandola's still going there. 

7 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

The fact that Roland Laurenzo appears to be involved doesn't necessarily preclude it from being Tony Mandola's new location. Mandola's wife Phyllis is Roland Laurenzo's sister. 

You're right. However, being that the owners released this property, I doubt it was leased back for Tony Mandola's new location.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:04 AM, TrainTrak said:

63C63810-B136-4FD5-BA78-440AB81AEF0A.jpeg

58CD85DC-D6D5-4889-9D5C-D5EEB92A4BD0.jpeg

On 3/10/2023 at 8:18 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks for sharing! I recall seeing a LLC for Tumble 22 Houston Ave last fall, but it never occurred to me it would be located at 1017 Houston Ave.

CultureMap has an estimated opening for Tumble 22 in an article today:

"An Austin-based hot chicken restaurant has claimed a prime restaurant space near Washington Avenue. Tumble 22 will open its second Houston-area location this summer in the former Avenue Grill at 1017 Houston Avenue."

"Images of a Tumble 22 banner on the front of the building recently circulated on social media. Previously, Eater Houston reported the building would be home to a new location of Tony Mandola’s, the Gulf Coast seafood restaurant that closed in 2021."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/tumble-22-nashville-hot-chicken-restaurant-new-location-houston-avenue-1/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Tumble 22 at 1017 Houston Ave.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...