72 In. Water Line From Crawford To Mt. Vernon St.

hindesky

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the section of Kipling St. between Audubon Blvd and Stanford St are done adding the pipe. Hopefully they pave it soon. It's supposed to be concrete and not asphalt. They are working on the section between Stanford and Roseland working their way to Montrose Blvd. where they will tunnel under that road.

Bsv9X8i.jpg

• Like 2

According to the job inspector I talked with this water is going to the water storage tanks at Westpark and Newcastle. He said it doesn't feed the neighborhood directly but they do have to cut service occasionally because the local piping feeding the neighborhood is sometimes in the way of installing the 72" pipe.

646AIEb.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hindesky said:

According to the job inspector I talked with this water is going to the water storage tanks at Westpark and Newcastle. He said it doesn't feed the neighborhood directly but they do have to cut service occasionally because the local piping feeding the neighborhood is sometimes in the way of installing the 72" pipe.

That makes sense, since most neighborhoods are supplied by 8 inch mains. 72 inch mains do not make sense at all for local distribution.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

'It's been hell': Montrose residents fed up over construction project causing them problems

https://abc13.com/montrose-construction-water-project-line-audubon-place/13531126/

OMG!  Such tender souls. Some street work in front of your house is hell? Get serious. I guess It's good to use something other than the Houston standard -- It's a nightmare.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

I live half a block from it. It's noisy, dusty, muddy, and has been going on since Sept. '22. Luckily I have the unlimited car wash from Mister Car Wash. I could wash my car 3 times a day and it would still be dirty from the dust from all the trucks and cars driving around the project. They were supposed to tunnel under Montrose Blvd. but instead open trenched it, so it's down to one lane in each direction. It's lower than all the roads that crossed it which is a hazard if one isn't aware of it.

A different company has the contract from Mt. Vernon to Richmond Ave./Greenbriar Rd. so it also affects a large portion of Montrose.

When it's all finished it will be nice though.

23 hours ago, ToolMan said:

I know it's a necessary project that must bee done, but have you seen it in person? Driveways have been blocked and ripped up. Streets are closed and tourn up. It's a mess.

Yes, I’ve seen it in person.  Infrastructure construction and rebuilding tends to be complicated and messy. People complain when the city does not maintain or build adequate infrastructure and then complain even more when they do so.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, I’ve seen it in person.  Infrastructure construction and rebuilding tends to be complicated and messy. People complain when the city does not maintain or build adequate infrastructure and then complain even more when they do so.

My biggest complaint with it was that they used a major bikeway but provided no safe bike detour. Pretty easy to navigate around through the Montrose part, but Holman's really the only viable east-west option through that part of Midtown.

Really, though, I think I was just annoyed by how normalized it is here to not factor bikes into construction detouring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just got this update in an email. This only applies to my neighborhood because the Midtown section and points west still are far from being finished.

"All four locations: Kipling, Hawthorne, Garrott, and Emerson have completed their underground work, paving for pavement, sidewalks, and driveways, as well as landscaping and sod installation, with a 100% completion rate.

Audubon:

Underground – 100% Complete

Paving (Pavement/Sidewalks/Driveways) - 100% Complete

Landscaping/Sod – 85% Complete – Anticipated Completion March 2024"

3 hours ago, IWantTransit555 said:

Why is there so much clay in the ground here?

It's been deposited over millions of years by the ebb and flow of the ocean over this part of the continent.  Wherever you are in Houston has been deep underwater at some point (most likely many times).