Mobil Gas Station At 909 Shepherd Dr.

wilcal

The land was originally a Stuart's Drive-In, and later a Price's. Jack in the Box opened here around late 1974 building this new structure. The greenhouse windows were likely an addition as most other JITBs built it Houston during this time were later expanded. The building only hosted Jack in the Box, and the temporary COVID testing center in the Streetview screenshot. The demolition is related to the construction on Shepherd and has been in the works for a few years now.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

...The demolition is related to the construction on Shepherd and has been in the works for a few years now.

Which construction are you referring to here? Shepherd Dr reconstruction? Will this corner be modified in a way that necessitated the demo? Btw I'm happy to see it go, just more curious on how exactly it's related to Shepherd Dr construction.

• Like 4

On 8/24/2021 at 9:38 PM, HNathoo said:

Based on the ownership entity, I believe it will be a gas station, but I remember seeing in a sale package that a Chick-Fil-A was once slated for this site.

I don't want to think about how a Chick-fil-A and the lines they create would work there. That restaurant across the street already backs up Shepherd some nights.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, Visitor said:

Which construction are you referring to here? Shepherd Dr reconstruction? Will this corner be modified in a way that necessitated the demo? Btw I'm happy to see it go, just more curious on how exactly it's related to Shepherd Dr construction.

https://abc13.com/houston-traffic-shepherd-construction-montrose-road-us-59-work/10402823/

It's adding new storm drains, and rebuilding the sidewalks/lighting and making it more pedestrian friendly as well. No street widening, other than the turn lane here.

14 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

Pretty sure the city is buying a sliver of land here to add a left turn lane as they rebuild the road. I think I saw that a while back. 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2020/04/15/city-council-oks-purchase-of-shepherd-drive-parcel-for-road-project/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhost said:

Seems like this link isn't related to this portion of Shepherd Dr, but the other link addresses the area in question. 

I haven't been down this portion of Shepherd/Durham in 3 months, but construction definitely didn't start last spring...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

https://abc13.com/houston-traffic-shepherd-construction-montrose-road-us-59-work/10402823/

It's adding new storm drains, and rebuilding the sidewalks/lighting and making it more pedestrian friendly as well. No street widening, other than the turn lane here.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2020/04/15/city-council-oks-purchase-of-shepherd-drive-parcel-for-road-project/

Yeah this is dead on. I have a feeling that old JIB is going be demo'd and lane added. Great work on putting the pieces together!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Visitor said:

Seems like this link isn't related to this portion of Shepherd Dr, but the other link addresses the area in question. 

I haven't been down this portion of Shepherd/Durham in 3 months, but construction definitely didn't start last spring...

You're correct, the perils of reading an article and going back to "find it" via Google exist.

Here's the one for this portion of Shepherd. https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2021/01/15/txdot-opens-public-comment-period-on-shepherd-durham-project/

Basically the same plan, although a detail that I didn't notice earlier, it looks like there are plans to drop from 4 to 3 lanes in certain areas to add more sidewalk space.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:57 PM, SpaceGhost said:

You're correct, the perils of reading an article and going back to "find it" via Google exist.

Here's the one for this portion of Shepherd. https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2021/01/15/txdot-opens-public-comment-period-on-shepherd-durham-project/

Basically the same plan, although a detail that I didn't notice earlier, it looks like there are plans to drop from 4 to 3 lanes in certain areas to add more sidewalk space.

I love the fact they are thinking about walkability, but this only applies to Shepherd/Durham from 10-610 in the heights.  I can't seem to find anything with any plans for 10-Memorial Dr

On 8/30/2021 at 11:47 PM, Visitor said:

I love the fact they are thinking about walkability, but this only applies to Shepherd/Durham from 10-610 in the heights.  I can't seem to find anything with any plans for 10-Memorial Dr

I know I spotted the plan for that area at one point. I think it’s part of Memorial TIRZ. It’s on the Rebuild Houston website.

12DA24C9-A88F-485A-A34A-CE3B4AEF0747.png

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TacoDog said:

You haven't noticed Shepherd down to two lanes?

Barriers? Those are for plebs. When I lived in Doha, driving to work one day there was a disturbance ahead where some South Asian workers were setting up barriers to block one lane on the right. A Qatari in a Land Cruiser took exception to the barriers, jumped out of his car, berated the workers, then started throwing the barriers into the adjacent construction site, then berated the workers some more. The workers waited for him to settle down and drive off, shrugged, laughed, and put some other barriers up.