Mobil Gas Station At 909 Shepherd Dr.

wilcal

I can def say a physical barrier is very important for families and kids. For a commuter like myself I ride with traffic a lot but I also know that’s not practical for everyone. So making these lanes as safe as possible for ALL riders is crucial, BUT I also believe that giving more of the right of way back to pedestrians is even more important. This area is in dire need of good walkability. And as Shepherd and Durham get fully rebuilt, this is going to create a massive, walkable link between Washington Ave and Westheimer. Most of Shepherd on the southern side of Washington Ave is fully rebuilt or under construction, so this is a huge win for making Houston a truly walkable city. In my opinion, if we can get the Richmond BRT built asap and finally rebuild lower and upper Westheimer, our Walk Score would skyrocket. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Clearly, a physical barrier would be safer.  I wonder why they did not include something; at least the concrete dots...  

My guess would be that there are a lot of driveways and businesses would complain about access to them. Dots would help a little.

• Like 2

here's the answer they gave about why the bike lanes are not protected 

HPW shares your interest in making bikeways as safe and comfortable as possible. As projects move from planning through design and ultimately implementation, design standards frequently evolve, and HPW works hard to incorporate updated design standards whenever possible. Bikeway designs, in particular, have evolved substantially in Houston as national and international best practices are adopted and accepted into local design standards. In this case, this section of Shepherd/Durham was designed and budgeted several years before physically separated bikeways were common practice in Houston. Modifying the design at this point would require substantial changes to the roadway design and construction budgets and therefore cannot be accommodated at this time. Future improvements to the bikeway may be possible with a separate project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I'm in the Highly Confident group but if Houston wants more cyclist they need to accommodate the other 93%. I also know which battles to pick when traveling on busy roads vs. a much less travelled road. For instance late afternoon on a weekend, I'll pick Center St. vs Washington Ave., Stanford St. vs. Montrose Blvd.

SV9aY7I.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.click2houston.com/traffic/2021/10/27/here-is-an-update-on-the-progress-of-the-shepherddurham-project/

Shepherd / Durham project

The entire project is called the Shepherd/Durham project, which is a major investment project. Work kicked off earlier this summer. When all the work is done, folks will see improvements stretching, all the way north of I-10 into the Heights.
  • Project one: work on Shepherd and Durham, south of I-10, from Dickson to Washington. This work will be completed at different points in time, with the goal of having Shepherd done first then Durham by fall of 2022.
Project two: Shepherd/Durham from 610 to I-10 (crews have not broken ground on this section just yet)
Done in two phases:
  • Phase one: 610 to 15th street (crews are ready to break ground on the first phase of project two by the end of 2021.)
  • Phase two: 15th to I-10.

Improvements

Work on Shepherd and Durham will include reducing lanes from four to three to make way for:
  • Better bike lanes--with added buffer zone to protect cyclists from car traffic.
  • Wider sidewalks
  • Better drainage
  • Drivers can expect better timing for traffic signals too.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought there was already a thread about this lot but couldn't find it. This lot used to house an old jack in the box (pictured below), that was eventually demolition and now there are plans to build a GAS STATION :( sucks because this is such a prime location. 

804615145_ScreenShot2022-03-22at11_05_49AM.png.6d244663629571feb2ae34bc627e9d48.png

1405722020_ScreenShot2022-03-22at11_03_26AM.png.69c398802cb25a6dc72368c5da7c6100.png

Edited by Amlaham
  • Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 909 Shepherd Dr (Old Wendy's At Washington)
  • The title was changed to 909 Shepherd Dr.
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know what's going up at Washington and Shepherd where Jack in the Box used to be? I thought this was going to be a holding yard for the Shepherd/Durham construction, but a large, two story concrete structure now occupies the southern portion of the lot, with the northern portion, where the Jack in the Box stood, presumably parking for whatever is going in. Sorry in advance if this is covered elsewhere on the site but I couldn't find anything.