There is an effort underway by Christian Navarro (son of Yolanda Black-Navarro) to rename Settegast Park to Los Compadres Park. 

The effort is meant to commemorate an organized baseball team known as Los Compadres comprised of predominately Mexican-American players who played for the team at Settegast Park at various times from the 1950s up through the 1980s.

Personally, I certainly support efforts to commemorate the history of Los Compadres through renaming the baseball field and/or a plaque or historical marker on site, but not by renaming the entire park.

For anybody interested, the link to the Second Ward Super Neighborhood 63 Zoom meeting where the proposal is discussed is below. Password/code is h6Z!UzYV. Fast forward to around the 40 minute mark for the presentation by Mr. Navarro:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/eDe_Ddz0ItgG7Yal1Y-j3j574ftd4qe2_SdYcC5MZf8y-6vMJRH2hFcbyvDAGxM2.VIyZBzr4XGnWruRk?startTime=1627946025000

• Like 3

16 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

There is an effort underway by Christian Navarro (son of Yolanda Black-Navarro) to rename Settegast Park to Los Compadres Park. 

The effort is meant to commemorate an organized baseball team known as Los Compadres comprised of predominately Mexican-American players who played for the team at Settegast Park at various times from the 1950s up through the 1980s.

Personally, I certainly support efforts to commemorate the history of Los Compadres through renaming the baseball field and/or a plaque or historical marker on site, but not by renaming the entire park.

For anybody interested, the link to the Second Ward Super Neighborhood 63 Zoom meeting where the proposal is discussed is below. Password/code is h6Z!UzYV. Fast forward to around the 40 minute mark for the presentation by Mr. Navarro:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/eDe_Ddz0ItgG7Yal1Y-j3j574ftd4qe2_SdYcC5MZf8y-6vMJRH2hFcbyvDAGxM2.VIyZBzr4XGnWruRk?startTime=1627946025000

This is cool though. I go to this park often. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is cool though. I go to this park often.

I don’t disagree. It has been neat to learn about some additional history from the nearby area with which I wasn’t familiar with. But even in the story Mr. Navarro presented to support the proposal, he mentioned the importance the name “Settegast” had among the people who went and played baseball there. It just seems shortsighted to record over that part of history, especially something that has endured for more than a century. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I don’t disagree. It has been neat to learn about some additional history from the nearby area with which I wasn’t familiar with. But even in the story Mr. Navarro presented to support the proposal, he mentioned the importance the name “Settegast” had among the people who went and played baseball there. It just seems shortsighted to record over that part of history, especially something that has endured for more than a century. 

People in the area are pissed about it. I think naming the baseball fields is appropriate, but why not pave our roads first??

7 hours ago, Ross said:

It's the name of the German immigrants who developed the area.

Specifically, it’s named for J.J. Settegast, who donated the land to the City of Houston in 1911 I think. But the Settegast family were involved in the community for at least a few decades by that time.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Settegast Park To Los Compadres Park
  • The title was changed to Settegast Park At 3000 Garrow St.