Hotel Saint Augustine In Montrose

tigereye

12 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Oh my……” Complain-to the City about crime” sounds so easy. I guess it should be easy, but a small police force trying to cover a huge population in a relatively large geographic area makes complaining harder;  the chance of addressing those complaints……even harder.

I guess it only takes one encounter with a horrible  criminal “ up close and personal “to give one a new point of view.

Ideas to prioritize crime and safety hum  in your brain……no one wants anyone else to be a victim of a similar encounter. …….so most of the questions one posts sound a bit uh naive?

IMO Any developer that works so hard to have state of the art staff that come up with  a dynamite architectural  look, greenery to die for and a charming business……….that developer surely can research and develop a new or “ out of the box” way to offer patrons more safety against crime than a lone watchman walking the perimeter at night.

Yes, a hotelier should definitely get a criminology degree and research new and "out of the box" solutions to reduce crime as if this isn't one of societies most complex (and controversial) issues at the moment lol. Nice architecture and a garden are what a hotel owner should do, not be expected to police the areas outside the property. You should contact your local councilman and judges who unlike a hotel actually have the power (and mandate) to keep us all safe. 

• Like 4

Thank you for the advice. You are correct that I should step up and make my concerns about crime known to my local Avondale Civic, the Neartown MontroseSuper Neighborhood, the alliance of Superneighborhood, the Citywide PIP, the central 1&2 division PIP, the region 5 stake holders meeting, the Montrose TIRZ, The Montrose Management District, the district C town-hall meetings, plus all the various at large city council town-hall meetings.

But also, I should be able to withstand shaming for wanting developers ( with or without criminology degrees) to add anti crime measures to the list of “ to-do” when going into neighborhoods.  I should be able to withstand being criticized for thinking in todays world taking steps to save patrons from possible criminal actions should become the new norm. Yes, I-think I deserve an expectation of safety if I visit this wonderful new venue and I can desire that this developer work with HPD to make that happen.

• Like 2

This line of reasoning is a headscratcher for me........you are concerned about more crime from a development adding vibrancy/activity to an otherwise abandoned block of buildings?  I live in the area and only see this hotel as a net positive for crime in the area.

Lets get back on topic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It COULD still be St. Augustine grass, but I'm not seeing much of that in the renderings....

I'm thinking the grass is the right answer. especially since original listings for permits were for "hotel invasive ground cover that mimics grass" that was before the marketing folks stepped in.

in a bit more seriousness (but not really), isn't the grass named after the city in Florida, which is named after Augustine of Hippo? so whether the hotel is named after the grass, the town in Florida, or the Saint, since they are all named after each other, isn't it all the same?

15 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Oh my……” Complain-to the City about crime” sounds so easy. I guess it should be easy, but a small police force trying to cover a huge population in a relatively large geographic area makes complaining harder;  the chance of addressing those complaints……even harder.

I guess it only takes one encounter with a horrible  criminal “ up close and personal “to give one a new point of view.

Ideas to prioritize crime and safety hum  in your brain……no one wants anyone else to be a victim of a similar encounter. …….so most of the questions one posts sound a bit uh naive?

IMO Any developer that works so hard to have state of the art staff that come up with  a dynamite architectural  look, greenery to die for and a charming business……….that developer surely can research and develop a new or “ out of the box” way to offer patrons more safety against crime than a lone watchman walking the perimeter at night.

No one is saying your concerns about crime are wrong (at least I hope not), but the direction which you are aiming your concerns at is wrong. Nowhere in the city charter, or for that matter the state constitution do we ask developers to patrol, resolve, and police crime. Maybe really think about this. Do we really want private companies, landlords, developers, etc... being responsible for not only trying to solve crimes, or police, but patrol neighborhoods? Mafias did that. In movies like Robocop, that was OCP.

Here is the thing, are there massive issues with policing, and how we distribute police/personnel at large within cities...yes, but does that mean as an assist we turn to developers, landlords, and companies to pick up the slack? I already don't like centralized state authorities, but the opposite also seems like a nightmare. Developers, landlords, and companies are only responsible for one thing...to make money and to take responsibility for themselves. That is it. By Federal Constitution, State Constitution, and Local Charter its our centralized governments that have been given exclusive right to enforce laws, and by the way that is also with exclusive right to do so by force or even by violence in certain circumstances.

Now am I saying with all of this you want exactly what I'm laying out here? No. However there has been a very disturbing trend over the past several years that for the sake of "safety", "security", and "prioritizing crime" that the answer is larger government authority, and more centralizing and authority for companies, and developers, and landlords to act in the "best interests" of a community whatever that means (insert - the road to hell is paved with "good intentions"). If you want to solve crime then make it known at the ballot box in the next elections, campaign on those issues. NYC actually did this with its current new mayor. DeBlasio paved the way for crime to increase, and in response the people elected a former police commander who, you guessed it, will be tougher on crime (of course that remains to be seen).

1 hour ago, talltexan83 said:

This line of reasoning is a headscratcher for me........you are concerned about more crime from a development adding vibrancy/activity to an otherwise abandoned block of buildings?  I live in the area and only see this hotel as a net positive for crime in the area.

Lets get back on topic.

Oh my 

perhaps I didn’t communicate properly. I am 100% in favor of this  project.
I differ in what my expectation of “ safety” is from the developer. One guy late at night patrolling doesn’t meet my expectation. I guess I am surprised your neighborhood,  perhaps has not experienced the uptick in non violent crime that my neighborhood has. Perhaps it’s because we have a kazillion bars and restaurants here that prompt, more car break ins……assaults…being confronted by unknown people asking for  moneY those things make we wonder if the freedom of access of this proposed nice venue might not be taken advantage of by nefarious types.

it’s already been established HPD is woefully understaffed. Plus HPD makes no attempt to hide their exasperation at citizens wanting local crime to be  vigorously addressed rather HPD wants to prioritize real crime. Geez,

So I considered that it should be viable request when  a developer comes into an area and responds to neighbors desire towards noise abatement, traffic congestion,  for beautiful venues , proper streets and sidewalks plus  green space ….perhaps safety should also be a consideration. 

I didn’t realize I would cause such a jumble when I confessed to wanting safety addressed. The Montrose collective seemed 5o respond to local neighbors request concerning safety. In the  back of my mind, perhaps that is why I shared my concerns over  the lack of that in this forum.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I'm thinking the grass is the right answer. especially since original listings for permits were for "hotel invasive ground cover that mimics grass" that was before the marketing folks stepped in.

in a bit more seriousness (but not really), isn't the grass named after the city in Florida, which is named after Augustine of Hippo? so whether the hotel is named after the grass, the town in Florida, or the Saint, since they are all named after each other, isn't it all the same?

In my last post I mentioned that I thought the grass was indeed named after the city in Florida. Also the city of Austin, Texas, is named after Stephen F. Austin, whose distant ancestor probably got his name from being raised in an orphanage run by Austin monks, otherwise known as Augustinian monks, who took their name from St. Augustine (of Hippo).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luminare said:

No one is saying your concerns about crime are wrong (at least I hope not), but the direction which you are aiming your concerns at is wrong. Nowhere in the city charter, or for that matter the state constitution do we ask developers to patrol, resolve, and police crime. Maybe really think about this. Do we really want private companies, landlords, developers, etc... being responsible for not only trying to solve crimes, or police, but patrol neighborhoods? Mafias did that. In movies like Robocop, that was OCP.

Here is the thing, are there massive issues with policing, and how we distribute police/personnel at large within cities...yes, but does that mean as an assist we turn to developers, landlords, and companies to pick up the slack? I already don't like centralized state authorities, but the opposite also seems like a nightmare. Developers, landlords, and companies are only responsible for one thing...to make money and to take responsibility for themselves. That is it. By Federal Constitution, State Constitution, and Local Charter its our centralized governments that have been given exclusive right to enforce laws, and by the way that is also with exclusive right to do so by force or even by violence in certain circumstances.

Now am I saying with all of this you want exactly what I'm laying out here? No. However there has been a very disturbing trend over the past several years that for the sake of "safety", "security", and "prioritizing crime" that the answer is larger government authority, and more centralizing and authority for companies, and developers, and landlords to act in the "best interests" of a community whatever that means (insert - the road to hell is paved with "good intentions"). If you want to solve crime then make it known at the ballot box in the next elections, campaign on those issues. NYC actually did this with its current new mayor. DeBlasio paved the way for crime to increase, and in response the people elected a former police commander who, you guessed it, will be tougher on crime (of course that remains to be seen).

I can see the value of all you have laid out in your arguments.

But in the same way I appreciate feeling safe as I walk around The Montrose Collective,knowing there is a security person there 24/7 to look out for me and I don’t have to depend on some poor waiter to defend me if something happens……..that is my desire if I should find myself sitting on the patio of the St Augustine hotel.

Just that simple, an un obtrusive security person 24/7.

it is unexplainable I guess, the  notion, that one can feel safe knowing some security guard is there ………somewhere. Lol

1 minute ago, trymahjong said:

But in the same way I appreciate feeling safe as I walk around The Montrose Collective,knowing there is a security person there 24/7 to look out for me and I don’t have to depend on some poor waiter to defend me if something happens……..that is my desire if I should find myself sitting on the patio of the St Augustine hotel.

it is unexplainable I guess, the  notion, that one can feel safe knowing some security guard is there ………somewhere. Lol

Seriously I don't say this below to be personal in any way...really. Below is a standard I hold for myself and everyone else.

If the above quote is your personal preference, and if that is how you wish to not only view the world, but also live your life then that is your own business. You do you. We all have needs, wants, etc... and I genuinely wish you get those wants and needs meet, but its entirely another thing to ask others to conform to what you want for the sake of your personal safety. I found this statement revealing. I get it we all care about ourselves at the end of the day, but its another when you are using general crime, or general neighborhood concerns to shield the fact that you personally want protection. That crosses a line for me. Its your responsibility to protect yourself, and keep yourself safe. Not the responsibility of others. If you really have a fear of being attacked at every place you take a seat or walk around then maybe that is something you should look within yourself and ask yourself, "Why do I always have this need for others to provide me security, and is it fair of me to ask others to provide that security for me when they have no obligation to do so?" "What can I do to alleviate those concerns in my own way?" Maybe ask that before you ask every developer to provide a security guard for every property you walk upon.

Again not personal here. I don't know you personally. I glad you express these concerns. Just don't expect others to do things you could do for yourself.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

A security guard is nothing more than a dedicated 911 caller. You are more likely to have a waiter step in and protect you during an assault than 90% of security personnel. I’ve seen establishments get catalytic converters stolen and cars broken into while security was actually in the parking lot. 

• Like 2

How the hotel will be run and staffed, including the security component, of which there certainly will be one, is the business of the Hotel Manager and management company.  To ask the developer just how that will be handled is a bit premature.  I am sure your concerns were noted...but asking him to comment or commit to what will be done, is premature...don't you think?  If there is a need for some enhanced security measures I am sure that they will be address then.   It is the business of the hotel to ensure that their guests are safe.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Your religion is surface parking? That tracks.

How dare you blasphemer! Surface Parking is the religion of peace. The day concrete or asphalt cures is a very holy day my friend.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

How dare you blasphemer! Surface Parking is the religion of peace. The day concrete or asphalt cures is a very holy day my friend.

may your roadways always be dry, and your parking spots empty, in the name of cement, water and aggregate.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

[envisions @samagon making the sign of the cross as he invokes the Parkers' Trinity]

Surface parking as the religion of peace is corroborated by the Bible. Jesus himself drove a Honda, but He didn't like to talk about it much. 

spacer.png 

Believable. Jesus, man of the people driving an economy car. I could also see him driving an F-150, he was a carpenter.

• Haha 4

On 8/11/2021 at 10:52 PM, clutchcity94 said:

Is one of the existing buildings getting torn down because that lot looks awfully small?

PRetty sure it will take the entire block: Mandell to Loretto, Colquitt to West Main.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, Luminare said:

Seriously I don't say this below to be personal in any way...really. Below is a standard I hold for myself and everyone else.

If the above quote is your personal preference, and if that is how you wish to not only view the world, but also live your life then that is your own business. You do you. We all have needs, wants, etc... and I genuinely wish you get those wants and needs meet, but its entirely another thing to ask others to conform to what you want for the sake of your personal safety. I found this statement revealing. I get it we all care about ourselves at the end of the day, but its another when you are using general crime, or general neighborhood concerns to shield the fact that you personally want protection. That crosses a line for me. Its your responsibility to protect yourself, and keep yourself safe. Not the responsibility of others. If you really have a fear of being attacked at every place you take a seat or walk around then maybe that is something you should look within yourself and ask yourself, "Why do I always have this need for others to provide me security, and is it fair of me to ask others to provide that security for me when they have no obligation to do so?" "What can I do to alleviate those concerns in my own way?" Maybe ask that before you ask every developer to provide a security guard for every property you walk upon.

Again not personal here. I don't know you personally. I glad you express these concerns. Just don't expect others to do things you could do for yourself. have used the word noun. All these thoughts I posted were a reaction to the bunkhouse presentation on St Augustine development plans.

I might have used the wrong noun…..My comments were a reaction to the bunkhouse presentation.
Still, I haven’t changed my mind, that protection of those that use this venue, should be on the same list as noise, street condition, greenery etc.  IMO safety is important period. Please, I have heard all the comments, about big brother, HPDs responsibilities,  getting over my own paranoia concerning crime etc. I do hear all those comments. But reality is reality….perhaps mine is shaped differently but the things considered important  by who ever brings a new venue forward— those things evolve. The list of things considered just evolves, it’s nothing personal.  My opinion, is that the importance of considering safety is evolving. There is no malice in  that statement, no reducing individual freedoms. Safety is  an important consideration and shouldn’t have been so cavalierly addressed as it was in Bunkhouse presentation. 

This subject can be let go now I guess, my beleaguered opinion, probably can’t be changed, nor do I think I influence anyone by writing it here, it’s just discourse, plain and simple discourse.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Plat was approved by the planning commission and operator created additional parking in the lot south of this and diagonal parking along Loretto St.

Va0484S.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

I attended the planning commission meeting online for my first time ever. Bunkhouse had 2 people that talked about the project, the construction company had 1 person that spoke. He said they would only use the south lot for worker's parking and lay down yard. Trucks would be limited to using only Loretto St. and Colquitt St. for delivery of materials. There were two people that live nearby that were worried about parking for guests, workers and visitors. At the 11th hour the developers created more parking to alleviate their worries about those concerns. But as the moderator said they were only concerned about the new plat for the hotel and not about parking. I think the commissioners knew that Menil would do good work and they all seemed to be all for this project.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

wow this is much bigger than I thought, surprised they're not bothering to incorporate any of the houses currently on that block.  also a bummer that the menil is just... ethically ok with the fact they'll have taken out like 100+ affordable apartments from the center of the city at this point?  those two small apartment complxes on the southwestern corner of this lot are the type that was the lifeblood of the Montrose, sad. 

but this will be incredible, possibly the first Hotel in the city that's not embarrassing to recommend to out of towners?! 

Edited by crock
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, crock said:

wow this is much bigger than I thought, surprised they're not bothering to incorporate any of the houses currently on that block.  also a bummer that the menil is just... ethically ok with the fact they'll have taken out like 100+ affordable apartments from the center of the city at this point?  those two small apartment complxes on the southwestern corner of this lot are the type that was the lifeblood of the Montrose, sad. 

but this will be incredible, possibly the first Hotel in the city that's not embarrassing to recommend to out of towners?! 

There are a ton of nice hotels to recommend to out of towners

• Like 8

Neither one of those apartment buildings were in very good shape. Trust me this is all good! Considering Lake Flato is the architect I have no doubt that if they felt that the homes would have been a better fit they would have come up with a plan to include them. They have always worked to save recyclable buildings. This will be a huge success. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

There are a ton of nice hotels to recommend to out of towners

There are literally no boutique hotels to recommend to out of towners.   Do we have lots of nice business traveler-oriented hotels? yes.  that's an extremely different aesthetic/vibe than something like a bunkhouse or ace or McMenamins 

24 minutes ago, crock said:

There are literally no boutique hotels to recommend to out of towners.   Do we have lots of nice business traveler-oriented hotels? yes.  that's an extremely different aesthetic/vibe than something like a bunkhouse or ace or McMenamins 

La Colombe d’Or?

• Like 5

The Menil should just start a construction/development company at this point and start designing all over Montrose cuz they clearly understand the aesthetic. Those renderings perfectly vibe with the area, my goodness. 

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

La Colombe d’Or?

I wouldn't bother replying if they refuse to even google search boutique Hotels in Houston. Sure a few have been bought by corporate, but there are really nice Hotels in Downtown and a very few in the Galleria area. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I wouldn't bother replying if they refuse to even google search boutique Hotels in Houston. Sure a few have been bought by corporate, but there are really nice Hotels in Downtown and a very few in the Galleria area. 

Top of my head:

• The Lancaster
  • The Whitehall
  • Does The Laura count?  I haven't been there yet.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Icon
  • Sam Houston

Everything you're naming is downtown, except La Colombe d’Or, which starts at 500 a night. I'm happy to have a place for my parents to stay nearby, Montrose needed something like this!

Edited by MontroseFan

1 hour ago, editor said:

Top of my head:

• The Lancaster
  • The Whitehall
  • Does The Laura count?  I haven't been there yet.

56 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Icon
  • Sam Houston
  • Hotel ZaZa
  • JW Marriott Downtown (If we're going for smaller Hotel with focus on service & art).
  • Magnolia Hotel
  • Hotel Derek
  • Granduca
  • The Housontian (Probably the least vibey of them all)
  • Hotel Indigo
  • Le Meridien
  • C Baldwin - While not small, is arguably one of the most stylish renovated Hotels we have, and smaller than a few of the big ones. 
  • Heights House

Boutique Hotel - "a small stylish hotel, typically one situated in a fashionable urban location". That's textbook. There's others I've seen online that go from 10-100 rooms, refurbished buildings, no flag or small chain, really depends on the person's own definition. However, all listed fit at least one.

Point being, I would recommend all of them except maybe Heights House since it's the only one I haven't personally set foot in. 

• Like 2

I like Lake Flato, but this architecture is just too horizontal, too compressed. I know, I know, the University of St. Thomas campus is similarly horizontal and compressed, as is the Menil. Why do I love UST but am not excited about this? I don't know. Maybe it's the brick. A traditional material should have a more traditional design. This reminds me of those buildings from the 50's that you used to see on your college campus and think, "When are they going to tear that stuff down?"

• Like 2

yeah love the Hotel Granduca and with all that is popping up in Uptown Park it is becoming more and more popular!

i will say that i truly love Hotel Saint Cecelia so i was hoping for something more along that vibe in design...but this is cool. 

Edited by gene

On 6/21/2022 at 3:21 PM, crock said:

Since when has the fine art community actually cared for the poor and working class? All their sympathy flys out the window when money is to be made. 

3 hours ago, MontroseFan said:

Everything you're naming is downtown, except La Colombe d’Or, which starts at 500 a night. I'm happy to have a place for my parents to stay nearby, Montrose needed something like this!

Pretty sure St. Augustine will also be close to $500/night. It’s not exactly a Sheraton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Pretty sure St. Augustine will also be close to $500/night. It’s not exactly a Sheraton.

The look and layout is pretty close to Hotel San Jose, which is 200-250 typically, so not that bad! Look forward to having it nearby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MontroseFan said:

The look and layout is pretty close to Hotel San Jose, which is 200-250 typically, so not that bad! Look forward to having it nearby.

I highly doubt this is going to cost the same as St.Jose whish is an old refurbished motel...

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I like Lake Flato, but this architecture is just too horizontal, too compressed. I know, I know, the University of St. Thomas campus is similarly horizontal and compressed, as is the Menil. Why do I love UST but am not excited about this? I don't know. Maybe it's the brick. A traditional material should have a more traditional design. This reminds me of those buildings from the 50's that you used to see on your college campus and think, "When are they going to tear that stuff down?"

I think this was also my first reaction, but its moreso because I couldn't visualize what it would look like when done. Particularly the materials. The menil's most recent construction showed that they know what they are doing, the structures are muted but look great and obviously they used quality materials. Plus, the newer landscaping by the Rothko is starting to look great. Their portfolio of the houses, since the Menil design looks closer to their houses than their hospitality stuff which is interesting, Flato designed gives me a lot of hope that this rises above the 50s-style buildings that plagued our college campuses 😚https://www.lakeflato.com/projects/houses 

Edited by X.R.

2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Exactly. St. Augustine will be closer to $400-$500.

the design and size of this hotel suggests it should be closer to the price point of The Carpenter in Austin, which is 200-400. 

and to repeat, none of the hotels y'all suggested are ones I could in good conscience recommend to other millennial travellers.  The Heights House is a trashy uncool embarrassment, and the others are very much expense account/business traveler-driven.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, crock said:

The Heights "at least we're not the Astro Inn" House is a trashy uncool embarrassment, and the others are very much expense account/business traveler-driven.   

FTFY

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Hotel Saint Augustine In Montrose
  • 1 month later...