Hotel Saint Augustine At 4110 Loretto Dr.

tigereye

How the hotel will be run and staffed, including the security component, of which there certainly will be one, is the business of the Hotel Manager and management company.  To ask the developer just how that will be handled is a bit premature.  I am sure your concerns were noted...but asking him to comment or commit to what will be done, is premature...don't you think?  If there is a need for some enhanced security measures I am sure that they will be address then.   It is the business of the hotel to ensure that their guests are safe.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

How dare you blasphemer! Surface Parking is the religion of peace. The day concrete or asphalt cures is a very holy day my friend.

may your roadways always be dry, and your parking spots empty, in the name of cement, water and aggregate.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

[envisions @samagon making the sign of the cross as he invokes the Parkers' Trinity]

Surface parking as the religion of peace is corroborated by the Bible. Jesus himself drove a Honda, but He didn't like to talk about it much. 

spacer.png 

Believable. Jesus, man of the people driving an economy car. I could also see him driving an F-150, he was a carpenter.

• Haha 4

On 4/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, Luminare said:

Seriously I don't say this below to be personal in any way...really. Below is a standard I hold for myself and everyone else.

If the above quote is your personal preference, and if that is how you wish to not only view the world, but also live your life then that is your own business. You do you. We all have needs, wants, etc... and I genuinely wish you get those wants and needs meet, but its entirely another thing to ask others to conform to what you want for the sake of your personal safety. I found this statement revealing. I get it we all care about ourselves at the end of the day, but its another when you are using general crime, or general neighborhood concerns to shield the fact that you personally want protection. That crosses a line for me. Its your responsibility to protect yourself, and keep yourself safe. Not the responsibility of others. If you really have a fear of being attacked at every place you take a seat or walk around then maybe that is something you should look within yourself and ask yourself, "Why do I always have this need for others to provide me security, and is it fair of me to ask others to provide that security for me when they have no obligation to do so?" "What can I do to alleviate those concerns in my own way?" Maybe ask that before you ask every developer to provide a security guard for every property you walk upon.

Again not personal here. I don't know you personally. I glad you express these concerns. Just don't expect others to do things you could do for yourself. have used the word noun. All these thoughts I posted were a reaction to the bunkhouse presentation on St Augustine development plans.

I might have used the wrong noun…..My comments were a reaction to the bunkhouse presentation.
Still, I haven’t changed my mind, that protection of those that use this venue, should be on the same list as noise, street condition, greenery etc.  IMO safety is important period. Please, I have heard all the comments, about big brother, HPDs responsibilities,  getting over my own paranoia concerning crime etc. I do hear all those comments. But reality is reality….perhaps mine is shaped differently but the things considered important  by who ever brings a new venue forward— those things evolve. The list of things considered just evolves, it’s nothing personal.  My opinion, is that the importance of considering safety is evolving. There is no malice in  that statement, no reducing individual freedoms. Safety is  an important consideration and shouldn’t have been so cavalierly addressed as it was in Bunkhouse presentation. 

This subject can be let go now I guess, my beleaguered opinion, probably can’t be changed, nor do I think I influence anyone by writing it here, it’s just discourse, plain and simple discourse.

• 4 weeks later...

I attended the planning commission meeting online for my first time ever. Bunkhouse had 2 people that talked about the project, the construction company had 1 person that spoke. He said they would only use the south lot for worker's parking and lay down yard. Trucks would be limited to using only Loretto St. and Colquitt St. for delivery of materials. There were two people that live nearby that were worried about parking for guests, workers and visitors. At the 11th hour the developers created more parking to alleviate their worries about those concerns. But as the moderator said they were only concerned about the new plat for the hotel and not about parking. I think the commissioners knew that Menil would do good work and they all seemed to be all for this project.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

wow this is much bigger than I thought, surprised they're not bothering to incorporate any of the houses currently on that block.  also a bummer that the menil is just... ethically ok with the fact they'll have taken out like 100+ affordable apartments from the center of the city at this point?  those two small apartment complxes on the southwestern corner of this lot are the type that was the lifeblood of the Montrose, sad. 

but this will be incredible, possibly the first Hotel in the city that's not embarrassing to recommend to out of towners?! 

Edited by crock
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, crock said:

wow this is much bigger than I thought, surprised they're not bothering to incorporate any of the houses currently on that block.  also a bummer that the menil is just... ethically ok with the fact they'll have taken out like 100+ affordable apartments from the center of the city at this point?  those two small apartment complxes on the southwestern corner of this lot are the type that was the lifeblood of the Montrose, sad. 

but this will be incredible, possibly the first Hotel in the city that's not embarrassing to recommend to out of towners?! 

There are a ton of nice hotels to recommend to out of towners

• Like 8

Neither one of those apartment buildings were in very good shape. Trust me this is all good! Considering Lake Flato is the architect I have no doubt that if they felt that the homes would have been a better fit they would have come up with a plan to include them. They have always worked to save recyclable buildings. This will be a huge success. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

There are a ton of nice hotels to recommend to out of towners

There are literally no boutique hotels to recommend to out of towners.   Do we have lots of nice business traveler-oriented hotels? yes.  that's an extremely different aesthetic/vibe than something like a bunkhouse or ace or McMenamins 

24 minutes ago, crock said:

There are literally no boutique hotels to recommend to out of towners.   Do we have lots of nice business traveler-oriented hotels? yes.  that's an extremely different aesthetic/vibe than something like a bunkhouse or ace or McMenamins 

La Colombe d’Or?

• Like 5

The Menil should just start a construction/development company at this point and start designing all over Montrose cuz they clearly understand the aesthetic. Those renderings perfectly vibe with the area, my goodness. 

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

La Colombe d’Or?

I wouldn't bother replying if they refuse to even google search boutique Hotels in Houston. Sure a few have been bought by corporate, but there are really nice Hotels in Downtown and a very few in the Galleria area. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I wouldn't bother replying if they refuse to even google search boutique Hotels in Houston. Sure a few have been bought by corporate, but there are really nice Hotels in Downtown and a very few in the Galleria area. 

Top of my head:

• The Lancaster
  • The Whitehall
  • Does The Laura count?  I haven't been there yet.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Icon
  • Sam Houston

Everything you're naming is downtown, except La Colombe d’Or, which starts at 500 a night. I'm happy to have a place for my parents to stay nearby, Montrose needed something like this!

Edited by MontroseFan

1 hour ago, editor said:

Top of my head:

• The Lancaster
  • The Whitehall
  • Does The Laura count?  I haven't been there yet.

56 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Icon
  • Sam Houston
  • Hotel ZaZa
  • JW Marriott Downtown (If we're going for smaller Hotel with focus on service & art).
  • Magnolia Hotel
  • Hotel Derek
  • Granduca
  • The Housontian (Probably the least vibey of them all)
  • Hotel Indigo
  • Le Meridien
  • C Baldwin - While not small, is arguably one of the most stylish renovated Hotels we have, and smaller than a few of the big ones. 
  • Heights House

Boutique Hotel - "a small stylish hotel, typically one situated in a fashionable urban location". That's textbook. There's others I've seen online that go from 10-100 rooms, refurbished buildings, no flag or small chain, really depends on the person's own definition. However, all listed fit at least one.

Point being, I would recommend all of them except maybe Heights House since it's the only one I haven't personally set foot in. 

• Like 2

I like Lake Flato, but this architecture is just too horizontal, too compressed. I know, I know, the University of St. Thomas campus is similarly horizontal and compressed, as is the Menil. Why do I love UST but am not excited about this? I don't know. Maybe it's the brick. A traditional material should have a more traditional design. This reminds me of those buildings from the 50's that you used to see on your college campus and think, "When are they going to tear that stuff down?"

• Like 2

yeah love the Hotel Granduca and with all that is popping up in Uptown Park it is becoming more and more popular!

i will say that i truly love Hotel Saint Cecelia so i was hoping for something more along that vibe in design...but this is cool. 

Edited by gene