Hotel Saint Augustine At 4110 Loretto Dr.

tigereye

• The title was changed to Hotel Saint Augustine - Montrose (2100 Loretto)

Here to do the Chron reporter's job:

It is apparently in the 4100 block of Loretto.  (There does not seem to be a 2100 block of Loretto in the City of Houston.)

Assuming the reporter had the name of the street and adjacency to The Menil correct, the Menil must be somehow involved in this (either as landlord or joint venturer), as they own all of the land on both sides of Loretto St.

• Like 2

this is amazing news...i have stayed at Hotel Saint Cecilia before and man that place is amazing and so darn cool! Jake Gyllenhaal was staying there at the same time btw! 

anyway...don't know if you all remember but originally these owners were looking at the land where Cane's Chicken Montrose is now but when the economy went down, so did their plans. I am so excited they have decided to open up a Houston hotel after all, as they are one of the best at small boutique hotels with exceptional service. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Hotel Saint Augustine - Montrose
1 hour ago, gene said:

this is amazing news...i have stayed at Hotel Saint Cecilia before and man that place is amazing and so darn cool! Jake Gyllenhaal was staying there at the same time btw! 

anyway...don't know if you all remember but originally these owners were looking at the land where Cane's Chicken Montrose is now but when the economy went down, so did their plans. I am so excited they have decided to open up a Houston hotel after all, as they are one of the best at small boutique hotels with exceptional service. 

Liz Lambert who made the group what it is what fired from her own company a few months ago so this hotel is not going to be as detail oriented as past proejcts but a welcome addition anyways. Very good article in Texas Monthly on her this month! 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/liz-lambert-next-act/

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Liz Lambert who made the group what it is what fired from her own company a few months ago so this hotel is not going to be as detail oriented as past proejcts but a welcome addition anyways. Very good article in Texas Monthly on her this month! 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/liz-lambert-next-act/

According to the article, I think it was almost two years ago...

• Like 1

exyBlla.jpg

VxrLwwU.png

Hip soundtracks, ecelctic furnishings and luxurious touches combine for memorable experiences at Bunkhouse properties such as Hotel Saint Cecilia and Hotel San Jose in Austin, Hotel Havana in San Antonio and El Cosmico hotel in Marfa.

Next, the Austin-based hospitality group will bring its design/music/community driven program to Houston at Hotel Saint Augustine, which is expected to open in fall 2023.

“As with all Bunkhouse hotels, Hotel Saint Augustine will be deeply rooted with a sense of place,” said Amar Lalvani, CEO of Standard Hotels and Bunkhouse Group. “Houston is a vibrant, culturally rich city. We’re honored to be adjacent to the internationally renowned Menil Collection, an art museum that we adore.”

The hotel will be located on the 4100 block of Loretto Drive, adjacent to the Menil Collection in Montrose, and will consist of 71 rooms on two floors, plus an event space, restaurant and bar.

Lake / Flato architects will design the structure, Post Company will handle interiors, and the grounds will be designed by Ten Eyck Landscape Architects. The Marchbanks Company is the project’s developer.

While Hotel Saint Augustine will be a new construction, other Bunkhouse projects have revived existing buildings, such as the 1956 motor court lodge in San Francisco that is now the Phoenix Hotel. In Marfa, its El Cosmico property includes trailers, teepees and yurts for overnight guests.

diane.cowen@chron.com

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how big the parking podium will be...😝

The first thing that comes to mind is A) love this part of the city, and B) this feels like that "fine grain" development I've seen others post about when it comes to elevating a neighborhood. @Houston19514are you saying they are going to destroy everyone's favorite dog park and weirdly open space?? Thanks @iah77for the article, gonna read over lunch.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't think either side of the street matches their master plan...  (There are different versions out there... where did you find this one?)

There is currently a big empty lot on the east side of Loretto Drive, just south of the Menil Drawing Institute, which corresponds exactly to a park space in the master plan. The image comes from a thread in this forum, the link to which is right under the plan image in my post.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

I think these plans are right. The park will be much smaller than it currently is and they will be adding phase two to the east side of current park and phase 3 on the Richmond side or southern side of the existing lot. There is a letter that has been sent out to the residents and I have a copy. It says the project will be low key. the building will follow the campus height of 2 stories and they will require the hotel to keep the signage and the outdoor lighting at a minimum. They also say that they will expect the property to keep a low profile as far as outdoor music and the like. This is definitely going to be an extremely popular destination for art collectors around the world interested in spending a long weekend in Houston touring the world class art institutes in the Montrose area. If you haven't seen the article in Travel and Leisure you should Google. It says Houston with the addition of the new Kinder building and the Menil campus Houston has become the new Mecca for Art in America. Great article. Several collector tour groups have already established artist studio visits to possibly buy Houston artists works this fall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

That master plan image is from 2018. Things could be different by now.

Maybe so, but my response was to the suggestion that "neither side of the street matches" the master plan. As it stands right now, the east side of the street (vacant lot = park) matches the plan perfectly.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

If you haven't seen the article in Travel and Leisure you should Google. It says Houston with the addition of the new Kinder building and the Menil campus Houston has become the new Mecca for Art in America. Great article. Several collector tour groups have already established artist studio visits to possibly buy Houston artists works this fall.

Saw it last week. Here's the link: https://www.booktandl.com/trip-inspiration/houston-art-museums-kinder-menil-turrell-rothko 

I was a little disappointed at first when I read that the author lives in Texas (Austin). Then it became apparent he isn't from Texas, he seems to be from NYC and just lives here part of the year, so I felt all better again. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Maybe so, but my response was to the suggestion that "neither side of the street matches" the master plan. As it stands right now, the east side of the street (vacant lot = park) matches the plan perfectly.

My point was that a hotel on either side of the street appears to be a departure from the Master Plan, so the Master Plan doesn't really tell us much about which side of the street it might be on.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

My point was that a hotel on either side of the street appears to be a departure from the Master Plan

Maybe, except there is a building on the master plan exactly where the hotel is to be located (Southwest corner of Loretto and W. Main).

I wonder how they chose Saint Augustine as the name. He is one of my favorite saints, but was this decision based on any specific aspect of his life or theology? Surely some thought went into it. Perhaps they wanted to show their separation from (and yet collegiality with) the University of St. Thomas by picking a Western saint as opposed to the Eastern saints the university is associated with (St. Thomas and St. Basil)? Perhaps they wanted to endorse St. Augustine's teachings on original sin, the need for grace, the City of God vs. the City of Man? Or, on the other hand, perhaps it is a nod to the St. Augustine grass which grows so abundantly in the area?

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, jmosele said:

Perhaps to complement st Thomas aquinas, for which UST is named? Two of the better known thinkers in the church, it could help sell the area as sophisticated / educated. 

Ah! I was thinking it was named for St. Thomas the Apostle. So much for the East/West theory. Yes, perhaps this was their intent - to unite the two greatest doctors of the Latin church. A more Neo-Platonic complement to the university's Scholasticism.