3001 Canal - The Pruitt Co.

• 1 month later...

Here is the meeting recording on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HoustonPlanning/videos/3180050498987408/

This starts at 1:51:20.  I'll do a quick recap. 

There were a few public comments, including from the East End District President:

Dear Members of the Planning Commission,    Thank you for the opportunity to submit this public comment in support of a variance request for 3001 Canal to allow  the reduction of the number of off‐street parking spaces required and to allow an off‐site parking facility with valet & shuttle service outside of the maximum distance requirement.   Prior to the variance submission, the developer met with neighborhood leadership (a subsequent support letter has been submitted). It is my understanding that as a outcome of the meeting with neighborhood leadership and a separate  meeting with City staff, the developer responded with additional improvements to the site plan.  Additionally, the  development team met with the East End District to discuss the proposed variance request to the site plan and walkable  communities initiative in the East End.  The East End District is supportive of this variance request for several reasons, including:    Development team met with both community members and City of Houston staff to discuss alternatives and  offered changes in response to questions and recommendations.   Proposed site represents a walkable communities aesthetic including transparency at street level, wide  sidewalks, and tree canopy with thoughtful landscaping to create a walkable, pedestrian‐centered space.   Bike parking is included on the proposed site, which supplements and supports efforts of the East End District  Bike Plan.   A pedestrian travel path between the site and the off‐site parking facility is enhanced with circulator shuttle  service.  Ultimately, the site plan adds significant walkability improvements to the corridor and creates multi‐modal connectivity  between several area businesses, residents, and visitors coming to the East End.   Thank you for your consideration and support,   Veronica Chapa Gorczynski  Veronica Chapa Gorczynski  President, East End District 

There is a copy of the variance request in the Agenda.

TLDR: keeping same 16k sf of building. Requires 110 with 10% bike reduction and only has 32. 

Multi-use restaurant development. These are screencaps from the FB vid so they are terrible:

Uty0t8D.png

Basically, they said it is impossible to provide the required parking on-site because of the structure.

The off-site lot they have chosen for remote valet is 2,000 ft down the street. This appears to be the location where Cidercade is. 

dW4fxOw.png

They have 48 extra spaces to allocate evidently:

tXD48ft.png

They also bring up, like I did earlier, that the TOD ends about 30 feet away from their site:

IzGTisP.png

Basis of staff approval:

APMYbZl.png

The applicant mentions that the developer is the same one that did the Cidercade development. 

One of the commissioners talks about how MBP needs to extend into the East End and that the businesses are thriving in areas without parking required. Small businesses can compete better with larger developers this way.

Marty Stein, the chair, says that parking is the "next big thing" the planning commission will take up.

Passes unanimously!

Wow, watching that was like a breath of fresh air <3

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wilcal said:

The off-site lot they have chosen for remote valet is 2,000 ft down the street. This appears to be the location where Cidercade is. 

dW4fxOw.png

tXD48ft.png

Thanks a lot for the recap, excellent stuff! My only concern is how the Cindercade lot could be used as off-site valet given than the lot there is at capacity just about every single day. Maybe with the addition of Dealco's new lot off Bastrop and Commerce, there will be some overflow.

30 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Thanks a lot for the recap, excellent stuff! My only concern is how the Cindercade lot could be used as off-site valet given than the lot there is at capacity just about every single day. Maybe with the addition of Dealco's new lot off Bastrop and Commerce, there will be some overflow.

Well, they also own the Cidercade lot, so if there is not enough parking then those businesses might suffer and they control both ends of the equation. Cidercade pulls more non-local traffic, but the restaurants might pull more locals. Moon Tower goes pretty well with zero on-site parking. 

I honestly believe they should flip the switch tomorrow and make everything west of Milby as market-based parking. There is so much development pending in the area I wish developers had additional options. 

11 hours ago, wilcal said:

Here is the meeting recording on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HoustonPlanning/videos/3180050498987408/

This starts at 1:51:20.  I'll do a quick recap. 

There were a few public comments, including from the East End District President:

There is a copy of the variance request in the Agenda.

TLDR: keeping same 16k sf of building. Requires 110 with 10% bike reduction and only has 32. 

Multi-use restaurant development. These are screencaps from the FB vid so they are terrible:

Uty0t8D.png

Basically, they said it is impossible to provide the required parking on-site because of the structure.

dW4fxOw.png

tXD48ft.png

They also bring up, like I did earlier, that the TOD ends about 30 feet away from their site:

IzGTisP.png

Basis of staff approval:

APMYbZl.png

The applicant mentions that the developer is the same one that did the Cidercade development. 

One of the commissioners talks about how MBP needs to extend into the East End and that the businesses are thriving in areas without parking required. Small businesses can compete better with larger developers this way.

Marty Stein, the chair, says that parking is the "next big thing" the planning commission will take up.

Passes unanimously!

Wow, watching that was like a breath of fresh air <3

This city is finally starting to get it. It’s just taking time. Great stuff.

Did I understand correctly that if an item is deferred and not posted correctly the second time at city hall that it’s automatically approved and the the planning dept has no say on the item? 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

I’m leaning more and more towards getting rid of the parking requirements from the city of Houston. Let the businesses decide how much parking they will need rather than the government. The businesses will have an incentive to decide for themselves how much parking they will need, because it will determine how many customers they believe they will receive, relative to how much space for parking they believe they will require.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Did I understand correctly that if an item is deferred and not posted correctly the second time at city hall that it’s automatically approved and the the planning dept has no say on the item? 

I have no idea. That would be kind of wild, but I guess that's feasible.

6 hours ago, Double L said:

I’m leaning more and more towards getting rid of the parking requirements from the city of Houston. Let the businesses decide how much parking they will need rather than the government. The businesses will have an incentive to decide for themselves how much parking they will need, because it will determine how many customers they believe they will receive, relative to how much space for parking they believe they will require.

Especially with how dumb some of the parking requirements are. Bars require the most!

It isn't like we are talking about parking maximums, here. 

Honestly, the only pushback I ever really hear at these public meetings is about homeowners not wanting people parking in front of their homes (and if there are bars, then cans/trash in yards), and we have tools to mitigate the parking component. Plus, there is so much street parking on Canal, and just a small handful of homes. 

Thanks @wilcal! Great summary. So are the owners the same as the Cidercade/Common Desk building? I thought someone mentioned Landry's in relation to this property. Although I guess they could be tenants of the building owners. The layout and description of the building reminds me of this building off of White Oak. Maybe not in terms of styling, but in terms of space and tenants (multiple restaurants etc).

image.png.9f6cc3b24bd970a493f1c0d9b35c41ab.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Thanks @wilcal! Great summary. So are the owners the same as the Cidercade/Common Desk building? I thought someone mentioned Landry's in relation to this property. Although I guess they could be tenants of the building owners. The layout and description of the building reminds me of this building off of White Oak. Maybe not in terms of styling, but in terms of space and tenants (multiple restaurants etc).

Bartender at Moon Tower told me Landry's was involved, but that appears to be not the case.

I think that pic is a pretty fair representation, but based on the site-plan above, it looks like no parking between the building and the street. 

I'm not sure where the Landry's rumor started, but I have heard from my friends surrounding some of these deals (re: Olshan) that Landry's is not involved.

Ancorian developed the Block (2339 Commerce) and it makes sense that they would do this as well given that the block parking lot is being allocated as backup parking for this development. They've also pursued a ton of small and large developments in the EaDo and the East End.

https://www.ancorian.com/portfolio

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wilcal said:

I have no idea. That would be kind of wild, but I guess that's feasible.

Especially with how dumb some of the parking requirements are. Bars require the most!

It isn't like we are talking about parking maximums, here. 

Honestly, the only pushback I ever really hear at these public meetings is about homeowners not wanting people parking in front of their homes (and if there are bars, then cans/trash in yards), and we have tools to mitigate the parking component. Plus, there is so much street parking on Canal, and just a small handful of homes. 

Yeah it would. That means developments are going through without the planning commission overseeing what's being built. I hope that's not the case but it wouldn't surprise me for a city like Houston. 

Anchorian does some cool work! Hopefully it is another well designed building. I do appreciate though that as you scroll down their portfolio it goes from cool to eh to giant grey box. They definitely know which ones are more interesting to look at haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rough approximation of how the building is going to be divided based on the grainy site-plan. I did notice on the plan that they mention a canopy, which looks to be 8-10' off of the side of the building.

This patio area has the potential to be rather glorious. East End is going to have some pretty good patios when you think about Fitzcarraldo, Acadian Coast, and even the Navigation Esplanade which is kind of a patio with all of those vendors. 

7dXADqH.jpg

• Like 4