Jump to content

3001 Canal - The Pruitt Co.


Recommended Posts

Noticed some variance request signs on the N Ennis side of the Pruitt Co. shop, for reduced parking minimum requirements and reduced setback on Canal. I had no idea that Pruitt Co. was possibly moving (they mostly perform heavy commercial vehicle service and maintenance, including fire trucks and other City vehicles). 

I live a block away, so I’ll be watching this closely.

 

D2F6623E-F8BA-4AF1-8D72-E755BB25BBF1.jpeg

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting. There's a new waste water permit as of March by H2B Engineering, a structural engineering firm. Can't find much else. HCAD still says Pruitt and can't find any recent commercial sales in Biz Journal that would fit this description.

They could be replatting the land to sell. If it has already sold, the plat says the intent is a commercial development which would be great for this area! I can't wait for the Canal and Commerce corridors to connect the development at the East side of Commerce/Canal/Nav to the greater East End community.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Interesting. There's a new waste water permit as of March by H2B Engineering, a structural engineering firm. Can't find much else. HCAD still says Pruitt and can't find any recent commercial sales in Biz Journal that would fit this description.

They could be replatting the land to sell. If it has already sold, the plat says the intent is a commercial development which would be great for this area! I can't wait for the Canal and Commerce corridors to connect the development at the East side of Commerce/Canal/Nav to the greater East End community.

I live down the street from this location, so there are some forms of commercial (bar, club, liquor store) I don't want. Called the planning commission and they have no info because the variance request doesn't give a reference number. I've never looked up a plat - can you give me a URL? Thanks.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just emailed the variance contact person, included the pics, and asked if they could look up the variance requests for me. 

I think that worst case scenario the details will be posted on 8/12 as part of the packet for the meeting on 8/19. 

This is actually extremely interesting to me to see what the planning commission will say about a parking variance. This lot is JUST outside a Transit-Oriented Development block. If it was on the pink secondary TOD designated block, it would qualify for an opt-in 50% reduction in parking requirement for commercial uses or 100% reduction for Single Family Residential. Granted, this building is basically one entire curb cut and I believe that they would have to follow some pedestrian realm and other guidelines, so they might not have even wanted to go that route. 

Will report back when I have an update. 

DEgWXR4.png

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Also, if they turned this building into a giant 17k sq ft ice house, you would need 170+ parking spaces. Wild. 

Thats an insane amount of parking -- how many does the cidercade/common desk parking lot hold? It can't be that much more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ljchou said:

There's nothing in the Plat Tracker for the 8/19 meeting. It may have some more info on the document once it's available: https://plattracker.houstontx.gov/edrc/rptDraftAgendaItems.aspx

Based on the signs, it doesn't sound like they are wanting to actually re-plat. They just want to build something closer to the street and they want to reduce the parking requirements. 

This could be something as minor as them wanting to build a small extension and not want to add any parking for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

Thats an insane amount of parking -- how many does the cidercade/common desk parking lot hold? It can't be that much more.

Instead of 10-14 spaces per 1,000 sq ft that a bar needs, they are likely listed as the "Arcade or Game Room" type which is only 5 spaces per 1,000 sq ft.

I don't know how many spaces CIdercade has, and Google Maps isn't updated yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Instead of 10-14 spaces per 1,000 sq ft that a bar needs, they are likely listed as the "Arcade or Game Room" type which is only 5 spaces per 1,000 sq ft.

I don't know how many spaces CIdercade has, and Google Maps isn't updated yet. 

Yes, because let’s have more people driving to, parking at, and driving from a bar than an arcade room. In what world does that make sense?

The minimum parking requirements in this city cannot go away soon enough.

(Even assuming part of that calculation is the extra space that arcade machines take up, it is still absurd for that kind of disparity.)

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Based on the signs, it doesn't sound like they are wanting to actually re-plat. They just want to build something closer to the street and they want to reduce the parking requirements. 

This could be something as minor as them wanting to build a small extension and not want to add any parking for it. 

The name on the second notice lists “EADO Canal Development” so it sounds like some sort of new development is expected.

If Pruitt was behind it, I don’t think it would be listed in that manner (and since they have been in the East End since the beginning of time, they certainly wouldn’t call this “EaDo” for a number of reasons—first being that this isn’t anywhere near EaDo).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My completely uneducated guess based on basically nothing is that this screams another mega nightclub like the other two announced for EaDo. 

I still haven't gotten the variance applications yet from the city. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not convinced that's the full reno. H2B Engineering is the design firm behind Heights Mercantile, Buff Bayou Brewing, a few other retail spots, one truck yard location and a few country clubs and theaters. The lady at Pruitt said they'd maintain operations on the property until August 2022, I'm curious what purpose this reno would serve in the interim?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a mixed use facility like Heights Mercantile.

http://www.h2bengineers.com/retail-and-hospitality.html

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wilcal said:

Also, if they turned this building into a giant 17k sq ft ice house, you would need 170+ parking spaces. Wild. 

 

14 minutes ago, wilcal said:

My completely uneducated guess based on basically nothing is that this screams another mega nightclub like the other two announced for EaDo. 

I still haven't gotten the variance applications yet from the city. 

I hope you're wrong about a mega nightclub. I really don't have time for a fight right now, but I'll do what I have to do.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The name on the second notice lists “EADO Canal Development” so it sounds like some sort of new development is expected.

If Pruitt was behind it, I don’t think it would be listed in that manner (and since they have been in the East End since the beginning of time, they certainly wouldn’t call this “EaDo” for a number of reasons—first being that this isn’t anywhere near EaDo).

It is sad to see Pruitt go, with their sign proudly announcing they've around since 1919 :/ Hopefully it's a moving vs a closing situation a la Olshan. That being said I'm all for some more retail/walkable development in the area, so I'm part of the problem as well hahaha.

How far can EaDo go? Will East River be EaDo (probably)? The area by the coffee plant on Harrisburg? Gus Wortham?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Seems like a $400k renovation is not going to do a lot for a 17k sq ft building....

Maybe it is going to be a giant ice house. 

Why build a giant ice house across the street from Moon Tower?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, wilcal said:

My completely uneducated guess based on basically nothing is that this screams another mega nightclub like the other two announced for EaDo. 

I still haven't gotten the variance applications yet from the city. 

 

18 minutes ago, Karin said:

 

I hope you're wrong about a mega nightclub. I really don't have time for a fight right now, but I'll do what I have to do.

I would hate to see this as well. That said, if it happens, it won't be by the same company that is opening the two new ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ljchou said:

I'm not convinced that's the full reno. H2B Engineering is the design firm behind Heights Mercantile, Buff Bayou Brewing, a few other retail spots, one truck yard location and a few country clubs and theaters. The lady at Pruitt said they'd maintain operations on the property until August 2022, I'm curious what purpose this reno would serve in the interim?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a mixed use facility like Heights Mercantile.

http://www.h2bengineers.com/retail-and-hospitality.html

 

17 minutes ago, Karin said:

 

I hope you're wrong about a mega nightclub. I really don't have time for a fight right now, but I'll do what I have to do.

Ok, new guess. H2B did Buffalo Bayou Brewing, Back Pew Brewing, Karbach Brewery, Bakfish Brewing

I'll bet you this is going to be a brewery. Perfect mix of needing a bunch of un-air conditioned warehouse space along with needing some additional off-street parking. 

 

8 minutes ago, Karin said:

Why build a giant ice house across the street from Moon Tower?

Moon Tower is kind of its own thing and they do tend to cluster. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

It is sad to see Pruitt go, with their sign proudly announcing they've around since 1919 :/ Hopefully it's a moving vs a closing situation a la Olshan. That being said I'm all for some more retail/walkable development in the area, so I'm part of the problem as well hahaha.

How far can EaDo go? Will East River be EaDo (probably)? The area by the coffee plant on Harrisburg? Gus Wortham?

I mean, look at the Heights. And EaDo isn't even that marketable imho. 

New rule: anyone that incorporates EaDo has the market-based parking extended to that area as well. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wilcal said:

 

Ok, new guess. H2B did Buffalo Bayou Brewing, Back Pew Brewing, Karbach Brewery, Bakfish Brewing

I'll bet you this is going to be a brewery. Perfect mix of needing a bunch of un-air conditioned warehouse space along with needing some additional off-street parking. 

 

Moon Tower is kind of its own thing and they do tend to cluster. 

*asks the universe for groceries and food vendors*

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wilcal said:

I mean, look at the Heights. And EaDo isn't even that marketable imho. 

New rule: anyone that incorporates EaDo has the market-based parking extended to that area as well. 

There are young families moving into this area. The developer who figures out how to cater to more than the bar crowd will be well rewarded.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ljchou said:

*asks the universe for groceries and food vendors*

 

4 minutes ago, Karin said:

There are young families moving into this area. The developer who figures out how to cater to more than the bar crowd will be well rewarded.

 

I'm still holding out hope for the Olshan site for a grocery store.

Signed, this young family moving into Eastwood in the next month or so. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Congrats!

Thank you! The bungalow renovation process has been... a process. Special shoutout to the CoH planning department for taking nearly a month to approve my reno permit! My wife teaches around the corner at East Early so we're looking forward to being more of a part of the community :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ljchou said:

@Ross, is there anything on the Houston County Clerk website about this? I can't seem to figure the website out.

There wasn't anything when I looked yesterday(or today, either). The Pruitt Company did gift the property across the street, 3012 Canal, to Baylor University, East Texas Baptist College, and Tyler JC in 2016. That property ended up with Godstone Ranch Real Estate, llc, who sold it to the imaginatively named 3012 Canal, llc. Godstone has the same registered agent as On Time Electric, the current occupant of 3012 Canal. Here's an "About Us" page for them https://www.ontime-electric.com/about-us

The registered agent for 3012 Canal, llc has the same address, 3016 Canal, as the EADO Smoke and Vape shop.

Here's some background on the CEO of The Pruitt Company https://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/448896/dm-edwards-celebrates-more-than-40-years-of-industry-experience

Well, after some more searching, there were a series of transactions in October of 2016 where 3001 Canal was sold by Pruitt to Odessa Brake and Spring, another company run by the Pruitt CEO, and immediately flipped to RDZ Holdings, llc. We are coming up on 5 years after the sale, which would conform to leasebacks we've seen elsewhere.

We've also seen examples where the actual owner didn't appear in hcad.org, like the South Main Sears, which was owned by Rice University, but always listed Sears in HCAD.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post, but it follows my search pattern this evening. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Godstone has the same registered agent as On Time Electric, the current occupant of 3012 Canal.

Curious that On Time Electric is still listed as the current occupant of 3012 Canal (and on Google Maps too). They moved over to a building at Adams  and Sherman maybe a year and a half ago. The building on Canal has been empty since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Curious that On Time Electric is still listed as the current occupant of 3012 Canal (and on Google Maps too). They moved over to a building at Adams  and Sherman maybe a year and a half ago. The building on Canal has been empty since.

Their website shows both addresses. Who knows what's going on, probably had a leaseback arrangement with the new owners of 3012 Canal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

I'm still holding out hope for the Olshan site for a grocery store.

Signed, this young family moving into Eastwood in the next month or so. 

welcome to the East End!

Fiesta on Wayside is pretty ok. HEB in Gulfgate is also pretty ok. WalMart on Wayside is pretty bad.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is what is on the agenda for Thursday.

It is just a replat. Nothing about parking variance mentioned. It does list "The Pruitt Co" as the developer. Maybe it is going to be sold after the replatting is done?

The application number is 2021-1914 and it is actually going to be dropping the lot from .58 to .57 acres, which I'm guessing is the bit that they are giving to the city for ROW  on the southern edge? 

10' building line along Ennis and Palmer and 13-18 ft building line along Canal. 

Would love to have someone more knowledgeable chime in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, ljchou said:

Interesting. There's a new waste water permit as of March by H2B Engineering, a structural engineering firm. Can't find much else. HCAD still says Pruitt and can't find any recent commercial sales in Biz Journal that would fit this description.

They could be replatting the land to sell. If it has already sold, the plat says the intent is a commercial development which would be great for this area! I can't wait for the Canal and Commerce corridors to connect the development at the East side of Commerce/Canal/Nav to the greater East End community.

I think I stand by this original statement still. The plat tracker has "Andrew Allemand" listed as the applicant, who is a representative from Iron Bridge Realty that specializes in land sales. I would expect when the lady at Pruitt the said "we've sold" was probably speaking in a similar context to that of the Olshan employee, which means the company will be moving from the property and the land will be sold, similar to the Olshan set up.

The lady at Pruitt said they'd remain on site until next August, so I wonder if this is them getting ducks in a row prior to lands sales, and to make the land more attractive to potential developers.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ljchou said:

I think I stand by this original statement still. The plat tracker has "Andrew Allemand" listed as the applicant, who is a representative from Iron Bridge Realty that specializes in land sales. I would expect when the lady at Pruitt the said "we've sold" was probably speaking in a similar context to that of the Olshan employee, which means the company will be moving from the property and the land will be sold, similar to the Olshan set up.

The lady at Pruitt said they'd remain on site until next August, so I wonder if this is them getting ducks in a row prior to lands sales, and to make the land more attractive to potential developers.
 

The property was sold in 2016. Check my earlier post above, partial here:

"Well, after some more searching, there were a series of transactions in October of 2016 where 3001 Canal was sold by Pruitt to Odessa Brake and Spring, another company run by the Pruitt CEO, and immediately flipped to RDZ Holdings, llc. We are coming up on 5 years after the sale, which would conform to leasebacks we've seen elsewhere."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received a letter from the Houston Planning Commission regarding the parking variance requested, as I live just around the corner. The letter indicates that they will be rehabilitating and subdividing the current building into restaurant space (letter implies multiple spaces). The applicant is asking to opt-in to the Walkable Places Ordinance given the proximity to Navigation and Harrisburg, where that ordinance is in effect.

Limited onsite parking and offsite valet will provide 59 places instead of the required 122 (if the variance request is not granted). It is unclear from the included site plan and area map where exactly the offsite valet lot will be.

Seems to be a promising improvement to walkability in the immediate area, I hope it’s granted.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Do more than hope! Make sure the Planning Commission knows a neighbor supports this project. The loudest voices are typically from people complaining about parking. 

From my understanding the planning commission meeting will be virtual as well as in person, if that’s the case I will try to attend if my work schedule permits it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

I received a letter from the Houston Planning Commission regarding the parking variance requested, as I live just around the corner. The letter indicates that they will be rehabilitating and subdividing the current building into restaurant space (letter implies multiple spaces). The applicant is asking to opt-in to the Walkable Places Ordinance given the proximity to Navigation and Harrisburg, where that ordinance is in effect.

Limited onsite parking and offsite valet will provide 59 places instead of the required 122 (if the variance request is not granted). It is unclear from the included site plan and area map where exactly the offsite valet lot will be.

Seems to be a promising improvement to walkability in the immediate area, I hope it’s granted.

Did you mean Transit-Oriented Development? Walkable Places isn't in effect in this area. As I mentioned above, TOD literally ends across the street right now. 

Some developers have opted-in to Walkable Places even if they are outside as well. Honestly, both would be great. 

2 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

From my understanding the planning commission meeting will be virtual as well as in person, if that’s the case I will try to attend if my work schedule permits it.

You can submit written comments ahead of time, and they are likely just as effective since you live nearby. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wilcal said:

Did you mean Transit-Oriented Development? Walkable Places isn't in effect in this area. As I mentioned above, TOD literally ends across the street right now. 

Some developers have opted-in to Walkable Places even if they are outside as well. Honestly, both would be great. 

The letter characterizes it as a “symbolic opt-in” to be subject to the Walkable Places Ordinance. It does not mention TOD at all.

Only drawback to work from home is I don’t have access to a scanner. I’m actually going into the office tomorrow, so I’ll try to scan the letter and post it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The letter characterizes it as a “symbolic opt-in” to be subject to the Walkable Places Ordinance. It does not mention TOD at all.

Only drawback to work from home is I don’t have access to a scanner. I’m actually going into the office tomorrow, so I’ll try to scan the letter and post it here.

Turboscan is an app that that can scan a document to PDF from your phone! Highly recommend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The letter characterizes it as a “symbolic opt-in” to be subject to the Walkable Places Ordinance. It does not mention TOD at all.

Only drawback to work from home is I don’t have access to a scanner. I’m actually going into the office tomorrow, so I’ll try to scan the letter and post it here.

Huh. Like I said, it has been done elsewhere. And it is certainly not a bad thing. I wonder if this is something that planning is pushing for. There is always a little bit of horse-trading with variance requests it seems like. Basically, yes, you can have your off-site parking variance, but we'll only support it if you make the property a much nicer pedestrian experience. 

Walkable Places does not provide for any parking reductions, but does shape where parking can be. It will force the parking lot away from the street (think the opposite of a CVS).

The other changes we can expect are a wide(r) sidewalk and trees along the street. Canal makes a lot of sense as a Walkable Place area, especially with the investment in sidewalks already.

Irony is going to be off the charts if the remote lot that they choose for their valet is going to be in the TOD area. 

57 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Turboscan is an app that that can scan a document to PDF from your phone! Highly recommend.

I'm rather partial to the built in document scanner in the Google Drive app.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I live on Palmer St. and already have put up with the many cars that park in front of my home afrom Moon Tower customers, esp. when  there are events. Pandemic has decrease the flow of parked cars..but i can see that starting up again as the city begins to normalize in outings. Pruitts limited parking will only add to the side street dilemmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...