Cenikor Building At 1423 Texas Ave.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they demolished the back area of the building (it was a kitchen/cafeteria area) a little while ago. this building has been in limbo for a long time. they had also started gutting ben milam next door, but i think that didn't go too far...

i'll post pictures if i can find em

Edited by sevfiv

Unlike the Ben Milam, where it appeared they only pulled trash out of the first floor, there are gutting Cenikor from what appears to be every floor. Note all of the drywall piled on the first floor roof, plus the trash chute several floors up.

PC300001.jpg

I noticed they finally painted over tagger "Jade" and "Next", whose handiwork has been on the top floor for years.

Edited by RedScare

ah interesting. i wonder how much they actually pulled out of ben milam - i mean, there was really nothing much on the first floor except large kitchen equipment (which i didn't really see in the dumpster).

as far as william penn (cenikor), there is/was nothing much left in the building except a few desks and some workout equipment, and quite a few dusty books from cenikor's library (guess they didn't want them at the new place).

all the levels seemed to had been "remodeled" with linoleum (probably in the seventies/eighties), but still keeping the relativley smallish hotel-sized rooms with the central hallway that bisects the building. if they gut completely, it would seem to be easy to make decent sized apartments or whatnot...

I noticed they finally painted over tagger "Jade" and "Next", whose handiwork has been on the top floor for years.

Ha! I went 2 skool wit next. Kool people. If I remember right all dey did was a pro astros "hit a homerun here!" type tag. Houston history. . .

Sevfiv you're a lot better at breaking and entering than I am. Tried to check it out, but security chucked me out. :ph34r:

Here it is in better days. In addition to the air conditioning, the other amenities listed on the back are circulating ice water and combination tub and shower. Hard to imagine that's the best they could come up with.

WilliamPenn.jpg

I was told by some employees at Sam Houston (Alden) that the owners owned some other property for another hotel also. They did not know which building though.

BTW, the old building on the left of the sign picture is the Great Southwest building. The lighted window near the top of the building was my old office. Pretty sweet views from there, especially off the balconies in front of the windows.

a demolition permit was issued for this address on december 27th. there was no detail (as in full demo or interior) and it also said it was a residential demolition :huh:

i will be going there after work to see, but i just drove by there a couple days ago and nothing seemed different...seems like once a permit is issued, the place is gone immediately!

and i teleport to get in B)

a demolition permit was issued for this address on december 27th. there was no detail (as in full demo or interior) and it also said it was a residential demolition :huh:

i will be going there after work to see, but i just drove by there a couple days ago and nothing seemed different...seems like once a permit is issued, the place is gone immediately!

sweet lord, what a travesty it would be to knock down this building. I certainly hope that's not the case.

I understand it's more economicaly feasable to raze the place and rebuild, but this building would be wonderful if redone.

I know that by the mere fact that we are Houstonians, we fear the worst anytime demo permit and old building are used in the same sentence, but there are some suggestions that this might not be the case. For instance, why paint over graffitti if you are about to knock down a building?

The photo earlier in this thread clearly shows interior demo. There is a huge pile of plaster/drywall on the roof of the one-story addition. Why would they go to that trouble if the entire building is coming down? These are just a few things that I noticed that don't add up to the usual total demo.

Maybe I am being optimistic. We will know shortly.

I know that by the mere fact that we are Houstonians, we fear the worst anytime demo permit and old building are used in the same sentence, but there are some suggestions that this might not be the case. For instance, why paint over graffitti if you are about to knock down a building?

The photo earlier in this thread clearly shows interior demo. There is a huge pile of plaster/drywall on the roof of the one-story addition. Why would they go to that trouble if the entire building is coming down? These are just a few things that I noticed that don't add up to the usual total demo.

Maybe I am being optimistic. We will know shortly.

Good points, and I asked myself the one about covering up the graffiti specifically. Seems like a big waste of time if you were tearing the entire building down.

According to my sources, teleportation is still years away...

But if this is true then how did you manage to overcome the problem of closing the Dirac jump and assembling the molecules at the endpoint???

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like it's all coming down. They have a wrecking ball/crane that is just about as tall as the building.

They knocked out the back first, and have started chipping away on the west side starting at the top floor.

Could be fun to watch.

argh...i am going to have to sneak outta here!