Bridge City Innovation District: Mixed-Use In Montrose

clutchcity94

Has anyone heard about this? Their website is pretty generic, but someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned it’s going to be at the southwest corner of Montrose & West Alabama at 3900 Montrose Blvd. Their list of “partners” (see image below) appears to be quite wide ranging...including both Bludorn restaurant and giant Japanese tech investor SoftBank Group.

https://bridgecityhouston.com/theorigin/

origin_atrium_a.jpeg

origin_atrium_b.jpeg

origin_atrium_c.jpeg

origin_atrium_d.jpeg

origin_atrium_night.jpeg

origin_montrose.jpeg

origin_yoakum.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.45.20 AM.png

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Has anyone heard about this? Their website is pretty generic, but someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned it’s going to be at the southwest corner of Montrose & West Alabama at 3900 Montrose Blvd.

https://bridgecityhouston.com

I think everything southwest of that intersection is owned by the University of St. Thomas, so I’m not sure that address is exactly right. I would think it would be closer to 59, given the name.

Of course, the website is absolutely zero help (as you mentioned).

2 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I think everything southwest of that intersection is owned by the University of St. Thomas, so I’m not sure that address is exactly right. I would think it would be closer to 59, given the name.

Of course, the website is absolutely zero help (as you mentioned).

Would be a great spot for 4503 Montrose right near the Montrose bridge, but unfortunately that's turning into a 6-story Big-Tex storage facility.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Has anyone heard about this? Their website is pretty generic, but someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned it’s going to be at the southwest corner of Montrose & West Alabama at 3900 Montrose Blvd.

The "video flythrough" shows the address as 3990 Montrose, which appears to be a St. Thomas parking lot.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Bridge City / The Origin development in Montrose

St. Thomas appears to be involved, so the location makes sense.

These renderings look real bad though. Not just in the "giant parking garages facing Montrose Boulevard" are bad kinda way. In a "these renderings look like they were done by first year students, and not good ones" kinda way.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fortune said:

St. Thomas is definitely involved. I am an alumnus and it was mentioned in the last newsletter. There was no information provided other than the name and that additional details will be provided in the future. 

Is the location going to be closer to campus? Or closer to the actual Montrose bridge?

Could it be the block where IBC bank is and the old Canopy was? Most of the businesses here have closed. Some Mortgage Recovery Fund owns it so they probably want to get their money back when the leases are up.

St Thomas University owns the lot where Black Lab was and city of Houston owns the library but I wouldn't be surprised if they sell to UST.

L9SQYZh.jpg

OqEN4T4.png

zw9md6C.png

• Like 1

I think our friend Phillip_White pegged it above.  The fly-through video very clearly states the address as 3990 Montrose. Since that address is (a) owned by one of the project partners (Univ of St Thomas) and (b) currently a surface parking lot, there doesn't really seem to be any doubt of the location fo this project.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Has anyone heard about this? Their website is pretty generic, but someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned it’s going to be at the southwest corner of Montrose & West Alabama at 3900 Montrose Blvd. Their list of “partners” (see image below) appears to be quite wide ranging...including both Bludorn restaurant and giant Japanese tech investor SoftBank Group.

origin_atrium_a.jpeg

origin_atrium_b.jpeg

origin_atrium_c.jpeg

origin_atrium_d.jpeg

origin_atrium_night.jpeg

origin_montrose.jpeg

origin_yoakum.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.45.20 AM.png

To me one of the most exciting parts to this is The Standard hotel is a partner.  Having a Standard in Houston and especially Montrose, would be incredible for the neighborhood.  Really interested to learn more and hope this is an active proposal.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think our friend Phillip_White pegged it above.  The fly-through video very clearly states the address as 3990 Montrose. Since that address is (a) owned by one of the project partners (Univ of St Thomas) and (b) currently a surface parking lot, there doesn't really seem to be any doubt of the location fo this project.

I literally thought I was taking crazy pills when the thread shifted to figuring out the location when I had JUST posted it. lol

After viewing the video again, this project will take up the entire block bounded by Sul Ross, Montrose, Branard, & Yoakum.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7375412,-95.3915216,200m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

To me one of the most exciting parts to this is The Standard hotel is a partner.  Having a Standard in Houston and especially Montrose, would be incredible for the neighborhood.  Really interested to learn more and hope this is an active proposal.

I wonder what “sponsor” even means in this stage of the game though. I can imagine someone associated with this project asking Chef Aaron Bludorn while at dinner, “Hey Aaron, would Bludorn ever consider a second Montrose location?” Aaron shrugs and says “Sure, why not? We’re crushing it on Taft and it’s only been a year.” 

BOOM! Sponsor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I wonder what “sponsor” even means in this stage of the game though. I can imagine someone associated with this project asking Chef Aaron Bludorn while at dinner, “Hey Aaron, would Bludorn ever consider a second Montrose location?” Aaron shrugs and says “Sure, why not? We’re crushing it on Taft and it’s only been a year.” 

BOOM! Sponsor. 

I think what I really like about this is that there are a few Houston production companies putting their name on this; Birdhouse, ZapBoomBang, Savage Brands, etc. 

• The title was changed to Bridge City / The Origin Development In Montrose

It’s architecture like this that makes me wonder if the Menil folks hurriedly lock the doors at closing while casting a distrusting glance to the East.  I imagine a haughty “humph” and a clear look of contempt is included when they spin on their heels towards their parking lot, which -mind you- is actually better design than any of the new buildings on St Thomas’ campus.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Specwriter said:

Bridge City is an interesting name since it is also the name of an industrial town near Port Arthur in Orange County, Texas. It's original name sake bridge is a somewhat awesome construction and the newer one is also.

That was my first thought. Whoever thought up the name clearly isn't from around here. Montrose and Bridge City are like craft cocktails and Natural Light. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm slightly reassured by the fact that their other two projects are 3773 Richmond and 4306 Yoakum. They're both great examples of "good enough" infill - which is is to say much better than they could have been and genuinely beneficial to the Richmond corridor's (potential) developing urbanism.

I'm also very happy to see that the building itself does actually appear to face Montrose, and the hulking garage faces Yoakum.

10 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Montrose and Bridge City are like craft cocktails and Natural Light. 

Or Texas Pride. I mean no aspersions to my relatives in that area. They are fine, hard-working, fun-loving, and generous people. The Cajun culture is one of camaraderie and celebration of life with conversation, music, and food. Oh, the food!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Specwriter said:

.... I mean no aspersions to my relatives in that area. They are fine, hard-working, fun-loving, and generous people. The Cajun culture is one of camaraderie and celebration of life with conversation, music, and food. Oh, the food!

Nor did I, they're just different neighborhoods meeting different needs and cultures.  

I am reminded of seeing Deer Park branded bottled water for the first time. 

3 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I'm not sure if I just like the black painted international style buildings (which I do) or because the first few renderings of the garage were so so ominous, but I'm okay with the building. 

This looks like a crappy rendering of a Morris Adjmi building who makes his buildings look very industrial. He did just do the Standard Hotel in Nola so this seems like  possible connection but I think it's a weird fit for the area and would have been better in a more industrial heritage area like sawyer yards or Eado or even Westheimer through Montrose. 

• Like 3