Alvin Expressway

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

You might all know about the alvin Expressway that's supposed to be built. It's already in exsistence partially at 45 and The University Of Houston. It's supposed to stretch from the all the way to Alvin. It'll be the new HWY 35. It's gonna go more or less along the track that goes down Mykawa and now the current 35. The only problem is that it cuts through neighborhoods. iIf it get's built they'll certainly have to tear down people's houses. Down't see why they don't build the current HWY 35 into a freeway. No knocking down peole houses,clear chot,and they could make a conveniet junction at 45&610.

TxDOT, from my understanding, has no real plans to push through the entire project anytime soon. They just recently rehabilitated Mykawa from outside the Loop to Almeda-Genoa a couple of years ago--smooth road, by the way, an example of how to re-do a road right!

I could see them finishing the bypass around Alvin but there's no rush to extend the project up Mykawa and into the Loop anytime soon, if ever.

I wonder if Max Concrete's heard anything new on this.

As an aside, did you know the oldest mesquite tree in Harris County is on this road on the UH campus?

On Spur 5 right before you get to Wheeler Ave. The site was an old cattle yard.

Interesting. Got a list of other old/large trees around here?

Looks like I heard wrong. That site shows it as a toll road all the way south to Alvin. Which begs the question: who would pay to go to Alvin?

It's really hard to see how traffic could ever justify this project. If it ever happens, it will probably be more in the way as a gift for developers and road construction companies.

Looks like I heard wrong. That site shows it as a toll road all the way south to Alvin. Which begs the question: who would pay to go to Alvin?

It's really hard to see how traffic could ever justify this project. If it ever happens, it will probably be more in the way as a gift for developers and road construction companies.

Actually, Telephone Road, during rushhour, is quite congested - as well as Mykawa.

I think the road would end up serving Pealand more than Alvin.

Pearland is booming, so it would probably take a lot of the load off of 288 and 45.

Actually, my understanding that SH 35 may be further along than commonly known. And yes, sadly it will take homes. I think that the proposed alignment is for an 8-lane tollway from spur 5 to BW8 along Mykawa, and then it will be co-signed with BW8 (South Belt) for a while and then split off BW8 down MLK (I think). It will continue around Alvin and then south of Alvin become a regular divided highway until it ties back into SH 288 at Angleton. It's a 49-mile project which, to my understanding, has gotten decent support. The most concern seemed to come from Pearland, but the desire for a north-south route may be so high that its being a tollway may not matter much.

• 5 months later...
Don't forget The Longhorn Pecan.

LonghornPecan-001.jpg

That's interesting. Although the article says that it will end its natural life cycle in another decade...I didn't know pecan trees keeled over after 70 years...there's one up near dallas that's believed to be ~1200 years old. The house where I grew up has a dozen that are pushing 100 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd hate to see it become a freeway. I like the setup as it is today.

As an aside, did you know the oldest mesquite tree in Harris County is on this road on the UH campus?

On Spur 5 right before you get to Wheeler Ave. The site was an old cattle yard.

In the news they mentioned that the Interstate Highway System began 50 years ago. I wonder what kind of roads we would have today if President Eisenhower hadn't signed that act?

• 11 years later...

TxDOT has posted schematics for the Alvin Expressway from its current terminus at OST to south of 610. The interesting thing is the proposed stack interchange at 610 which will tower over the Mykawa/Griggs/Long intersection that has multiple railroad crossings going through it.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/sh-35-harris-county.html 

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was trying to find a project schematic for the 59 connector project (if anyone knows where that is I’d appreciate a link) and assumed it was super old. 

There don’t seem to be many exits off this - it seems more of a bypass to get to the relatively empty Myawaka road to go south towards Pearland.  I doubt that it would increase travel times to Alvin much ending at 610

Archived