Clark’s At 3807 Montrose Blvd.

thedistrict84

On 5/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, hindesky said:

Work started on Saturday. I live 2 blocks from here and could hear the noise of them breaking up the concrete so I walked over to see. This used to be a gas station so I'm assuming there are still underground gasoline tanks. I think it was an Exxon station simply based on the old colors of the building. It's always been a repair shop since I moved here.

MDLGWS8.jpg

It was an Exxon station....used to buy gas there in the early 70's.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Montrose Car Care - 3807 Montrose Blvd.

I spoke with the site superintendent from Highlands Construction pictured here next to the Tundra pick up. He told me the old fuel tanks were already removed before they started work.

https://www.highlandsconstruction.com

Vy2CKPD.jpg

He said they will extend the building to the north behind the track hoe.

H0DQw7n.jpg

This will be the parking area and they will have an outdoor patio area under the current awning.

IdqhgSS.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Clark’s Houston: 3807 Montrose Blvd.
On 5/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, hindesky said:

Work started on Saturday. I live 2 blocks from here and could hear the noise of them breaking up the concrete so I walked over to see. This used to be a gas station so I'm assuming there are still underground gasoline tanks. I think it was an Exxon station simply based on the old colors of the building. It's always been a repair shop since I moved here.

It was an Exxon station. Sold to Laz Enterprises in 2001 for $685,000. Exxon handled all of the remediation, including tank removal, it's mentioned in the deed. Exxon bought the property in late 1968 from Edwin G and Costera Faye DeMunbrun, who ran a drug store. Not sure if it was at that location or not, I haven't found that. In the census and other records, they lived at 301 Fairview and 305 Stratford. Hmm, there was an Humble station there for years before Humble bought the property. More research is required...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ross said:

It was an Exxon station. Sold to Laz Enterprises in 2001 for $685,000. Exxon handled all of the remediation, including tank removal, it's mentioned in the deed. Exxon bought the property in late 1968 from Edwin G and Costera Faye DeMunbrun, who ran a drug store. Not sure if it was at that location or not, I haven't found that. In the census and other records, they lived at 301 Fairview and 305 Stratford. Hmm, there was an Humble station there for years before Humble bought the property. More research is required...

Hoary crêpes, Columbo!

th-3346717920.jpeg

50 minutes ago, editor said:

Hoary crêpes, Columbo!

th-3346717920.jpeg

One more thing! The DeMunbruns once owned the property where Katz's on Westheimer now sits. They sold it in the early 60's and it went through 2 more owners before Katz's bought it. I may have to put a timer on my County Clerk search usage to keep me from going down too many rabbit holes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

This will do really well. I live down the street from the Austin location, one of my favorite places in town.

I wonder how their oysters are compared to a place like Bludorn (which IMO has the best oysters in town)…quite expensive at $42/dozen though.

• The title was changed to Clark’s: 3807 Montrose Blvd.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Clark’s At 3807 Montrose Blvd.

Talked with the Highlands construction supervisor. He said the little wall behind the worker sitting down in the first pic is a planter box that separates the outside patio area under the awning from the parking area. The building will extend 12' to the north which will be part of the kitchen. The power line on W. Alabama St. is coming down and rerouted from the alley behind the building. The thing slowing down progress is getting permits.

maYPG0I.jpg

NEPPUMb.jpg

URxYoYH.jpg

cP6iOCo.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 2:52 PM, hindesky said:

Story about the Clark's opening later this year in The Houston Chronicle.....

"Clark’s (which also has an outpost in Aspen), is set to take up residence later this year at 3807 Montrose, at the corner of West Alabama, in the home of the former Montrose Car Care auto repair shop."

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/popular-austin-seafood-oyster-restaurant-coming-16841262

Houston Chronicle published an update on Clark's estimated opening timeline. Clark's is a seafood restaurant from Austin's MML Hospitality.

"MML Hospitality, responsible for some of Austin’s most popular restaurants, is on schedule to open Clark’s in summer 2023 at 3807 Montrose. The seafood restaurant and oyster bar will be MML’s first move into the Houston market."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/best-new-Houston-restaurants-open-2023-17663979.php

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...