Levit Green: Life Science Mixed-Use District By Hines

TheNiche

• 2 weeks later...

I have no doubt that this and the TMC3 site will affect the housing market in south east third ward areas. 

Those neighborhoods are five minutes from the med center and if you add in Ion you will have a remarkable employment growth in this area and that always affects the housing market. People want to live closer to work and cut down on their commute, cost of fuel and taking advantage of all of the wonderful benefits of the area. The museum district, Hermann park, golf course and zoo. Not to mention the med center. You can be in downtown in ten minutes.

Whats not to love about this area. 

Plus there's always the Turkey Leg Hut.

• Like 6

Yeah, I agree with @bobruss. It weird that people focus in on the effects of the ION, but don't realize that whats happening at TMC3 and here will extend the influx of newer-built homes you see on Holcombe/Braeswood up and outwards toward 3rd ward. They juuuust finished the beautification and street repairs around TSU and the bayou bridges have been or are being refreshed with pedestrian bridges, and you know those add to marketable "walkability" for those homes. Got the newest HEB around just down the block. Getting rid of a fenced off warehouse and replacing it with a new development with a big pond and all sorts of food and drink is going to do alot more for that area than some people think. You have some of the best bike riding/jogging amenities in the city. Alot of things are clicking into place. 

Anecdotally, the child care options in museum district and TMC are pretty full. Full enough that two of the existing institutions each opened a new location within the rice/museum/tmc area during the pandemic...and those are full now too. Its really only a matter of time.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

"Hines' Levit Green property, a 270K SF lab building, broke ground in October. The building will be near the Texas Medical Center as part of a greater 52-acre master-planned community and is designed by HOK. Modular designs incorporated into Levit Green will also be used in future Hines life sciences projects."

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/life-sciences/hines-to-funnel-massive-funds-into-life-sciences-globally-111295?utm_source=outbound_pub_4&utm_campaign=outbound_issue_53905&utm_content=outbound_link_3&utm_medium=email

• Like 6

Going by the latest rendering, I guess they're going to build over the remaining RR spur that ran behind Grocer's Supply and replace it with a road? That's too bad. I always thought that would be a good route for a commuter rail line from Pearland, and Levit Green would've been an ideal spot for a Medical Center station with a bus tie-in to the TMC campus. They could've shifted the Columbia Tap trail alignment somewhat to put rail back since the ROW is preserved all the way to the edge of Downtown.

• Like 5

Is cost the only reason so many Texas highrises are reinforced concrete structures? I'm from NYC and almost everything there is made of steel beams (not just the supertalls)? Something like Downtown's Texas Tower would almost certainly be a steel skeleton in the northeast.

It's a real question. I just don't have the experience to hazard a guess.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Texasota said:

My oversimplified understanding: Cost of labor vs. cost of materials. 

In areas where labor is expensive, steel is used. In areas where labor is cheap, concrete is used. Basically because, especially when dealing with formwork, concrete can be much more labor-intensive. 

Texas is also a major concrete supplier and the northeast is a major supplier of steel. Regional economics and supply chains have a hand in this difference I would assume. 

• Like 5