Baylor St. Lukes McNair Campus & Health Sciences Park

Lulleah

Parkwood is at OST and Cambridge, just west of the VA Hospital. I understand that it's owned by Baylor, and is a large brick garden apartment complex with over 100 live oaks on the property, hardwoods, good square footage, and very reasonable rents (try $690 for 1233 sq. ft. 2 BR + den apt.) Most of the residents work in the Med Center, obviously. Many of them are post-docs and researchers, lots of Asian families. Lots of the families planted gardens there.

Residents were given notice on September 1 to vacate by November 1. It's going to be demolished.

Anybody know the history of this place? I think it was built around 1948. Who designed it? What's going up instead? I assume all the live oaks are history, they are already cutting them down on the VA's eastern border. If you want any free landscaping (crepe myrtles, wisteria, rubber trees, etc. ), now's the time to dig 'em up.

Any good suggestions for apartment alternatives in the area?

• Like 1

The trees on the west side of the VA have been removed in preparation for sewer construction under the Cambridge extension which will span Bray's Bayou, and will connect, on the north side, by the Confederate monument at MacGregor. Supposedly there will be a connector from the South Loop to Cambridge. The Medical Center lobbied the city for several years, hoping to use Cambridge as an alternate emergency route to Fannin, which is now a couple of lanes short due to the Metrorail tracks. Cambridge Street (below OST) fronts directly on the east side of the newly completed South Campus infrastructure. The South Campus is bisected by Bertner which, I assume, will be pushed through south of Braeswood. The new Bertner bridge has been open for several months. The Parkwood Apartments property includes, I believe, a large parcel of vacant land that fronts Old Spanish Trail at Cambridge. The price of this property was supposedly $34 million, which, if that's true, would make it comprable in value to the HISD property on Richmond. Apparently there were no takers. Surely Baylor, even with its endowments, would not pay that price but it's hard to imagine this land going to a private developer because of its location ajacent to the ravenous maw of the TMC. The small neighborhood directly north of the Parkwood property fought the Cambridge project to a compromise that gives them a 30 buffer from the new Cambridge extension. The VA donated the land for this, sacrificing the trees on the east side of old Cambridge.

• Like 1

The trees on the west side of the VA have been removed in preparation for sewer construction under the Cambridge extension which will span Bray's Bayou, and will connect, on the north side, by the Confederate monument at MacGregor. Supposedly there will be a connector from the South Loop to Cambridge. The Medical Center lobbied the city for several years, hoping to use Cambridge as an alternate emergency route to Fannin, which is now a couple of lanes short due to the Metrorail tracks. Cambridge Street (below OST) fronts directly on the east side of the newly completed South Campus infrastructure. The South Campus is bisected by Bertner which, I assume, will be pushed through south of Braeswood. The new Bertner bridge has been open for several months. The Parkwood Apartments property includes, I believe, a large parcel of vacant land that fronts Old Spanish Trail at Cambridge. The price of this property was supposedly $34 million, which, if that's true, would make it comprable in value to the HISD property on Richmond. Apparently there were no takers. Surely Baylor, even with its endowments, would not pay that price but it's hard to imagine this land going to a private developer because of its location ajacent to the ravenous maw of the TMC. The small neighborhood directly north of the Parkwood property fought the Cambridge project to a compromise that gives them a 30 buffer from the new Cambridge extension. The VA donated the land for this, sacrificing the trees on the east side of old Cambridge.

Ah, goody. I own a condo just off of Cambridge. I've been waiting for work to start on this project for years. It'll improve my access to the main part of Hermann Park.

$$ >:) $$

This article in the Houston Business Journal gives an idea of Baylors initial investment:

Baylor to build teach hospital independently

Houston Business Journal - 2:38 PM CDT Friday

Baylor College of Medicine is building its own adult, private teaching hospital.

St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital became the primary, private adult-teaching hospital for Baylor in April 2004 after Baylor ended its 50-year affiliation with The Methodist Hospital.

But now Baylor officials are laying out plans for an integrated Baylor Clinic and Hospital that will serve as the college's teaching hospital without St. Luke's as a partner.

BCM's relationship with St. Luke's may change, but the college intends that the relationship will continue to be strong, according to a Baylor spokeswoman. The two institutions will continue to share programs, and Baylor's residents will continue to rotate through St. Luke's, she added.

The Methodist Hospital had represented that school for Baylor until 2004 when the two institutions ended their 50-year affiliation. Officials had clashed over Baylor's intentions to open an ambulatory care center.

On Sept. 28, Baylor President Dr. Peter Traber sent a note to employees notifying them that Baylor's board had authorized an expenditure of $10 million in preliminary spending toward the plan for building the teaching hospital.

A 35-acre tract of land that Baylor has owned since 1988 has been identified as a site for the Baylor Clinic and Hospital. The Parkwood Apartments are currently on this site, which is adjacent to the DeBakey VA Medical Center and is bordered by Old Spanish Trail, Wyndale, Cambridge and the Texas Medical Center-owned property along Avenue G in an area that the TMC calls the mid-campus.

In June 2005, St. Luke's and Baylor announced plans to merge, only to call off the deal three months later -- around the same time Baylor and Methodist announced a renewed, redefined collaboration at the urging of Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

• Like 1

This article in the Houston Business Journal gives an idea of Baylors initial investment:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4223281.html

Does anybody have a concept of how large this 250-bed facility might be in architectural terms (square feet or relative to other existing academic hospitals) or how many employees/students will staff the facility?

Edited by TheNiche

Anybody know the history of this place? I think it was built around 1948. Who designed it? What's going up instead? I assume all the live oaks are history, they are already cutting them down on the VA's eastern border. If you want any free landscaping (crepe myrtles, wisteria, rubber trees, etc. ), now's the time to dig 'em up.

I'm short on names now, but Parkwood Apartments were built in 1948/1949 by the same guy who later developed Tanglewood. All the oak trees were planted at that time, as early pictures show nothing but an open field on the property when the apartments were first constructed (the pictures are/where available in the Parkwood management office on OST). So, we're looking at beautiful, large, 58 year old oak trees.

I will certainly miss them, and the apartments themselves. They were very solidly built, mortar-brick and plaster walls, plenty of casement windows, and plenty of room. The whole layout, especially with the "backyards" connecting several apartment buildings, created a sense of community -- everyone knew each other, and often played, ate, or gardened together. The beehive-like apartments of today just can't compare.

Well, I was wrong, Baylor DID buy that Parkwood property. I wonder how much they paid? This is probably not good news for those trees.

My recollection is that Baylor paid around $8 million for the property in 1988. Or maybe between $8-$12 million. The scuttlebutt was that Baylor bought it as a defensive action, with support from TMC, to at least prevent any private "competitor" from acquiring the land.

It's certainly a desirable location (as is Devonshire, just to the north), but with all its lush foliage, it will be very sad to see it go.

Edited by agorist
  • Like 1

I'm short on names now, but Parkwood Apartments were built in 1948/1949 by the same guy who later developed Tanglewood. All the oak trees were planted at that time, as early pictures show nothing but an open field on the property when the apartments were first constructed (the pictures are/where available in the Parkwood management office on OST). So, we're looking at beautiful, large, 58 year old oak trees.

the trees are wonderful there

william giddings farrington is the tanglewood guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We drove by Parkwood this morning coming to work and saw the RIP sign ("RIP to affordable housing").

I found your page while googling for information on what was going on. Thanks for the information. It is sad

to see the property go, you don't find many apartment complexes like that down here in Houston. I almost moved into years ago when I first started working at the Med Center. However, I knew it wouldn't be around for very long. The property hasn't been taken care of for awhile, the streets are horrendous. Property in the Medical Center area is just too valuable not to build on. MD Anderson is in the process of building a new administrative building on a piece of land that was basically a median before. Amazing what they can cram into a small space. Two months notice is pretty rough but not surprising.

To "TheNiche" - you may be disappointed with your access once the hospital goes up.

I feel for the lucky people who live in Devonshire, they are going to have so much more traffic going through. Maybe they should think about being gated. Either way they are truly going to end up being an "island" in the Med Center.

To "TheNiche" - you may be disappointed with your access once the hospital goes up.

I drive through the TMC all the time on my way to other destinations, and as long as you aren't caught up in a daytime shift change, the traffic usually isn't too horrendous. Of course, I know the shortcuts.

I'm still wondering about that 2 acre (maybe) parcel fronting the north side of Old Spanish Trail west of Cambridge and across OST from that ghetto Kroger. It has not a single tree or bush, is carpeted with grass which is mowed regularly and has sat there in its unadorned state for decades. Is that part of the Parkwood site?

I'm still wondering about that 2 acre (maybe) parcel fronting the north side of Old Spanish Trail west of Cambridge and across OST from that ghetto Kroger. It has not a single tree or bush, is carpeted with grass which is mowed regularly and has sat there in its unadorned state for decades. Is that part of the Parkwood site?

Yes, it is part of Parkwood. The intent, I recall (from conversations with Parkwood management), was to eventually develop some kind of shopping center there, but it never happened, and after Baylor bought it, they decided to let it lay fallow, knowing eventually they'd be putting up something medical.

Does anybody know what is going to happen to the nice old neighborhood(Devonshire?) by the Parkwood apartments.. They are one street in front of where Baylor is supposedly building the hospital. Has anyone heard what will happen to them? It seems like the builders have moved in further down close to Holcombe, with all those townhouses. There's not much land over there left for the Med. Center to take..

speaking of devonshire...

Has anyone seen what has been happening (if anything) with 7000 Staffordshire?

It was a 4165 square foot house sitting on 3.5 ACRES.

It sold for 1.9M in 1/03.

I've always wondered if they were going to chop it up for townhouses or what.

flipper

Edited by flipper

speaking of devonshire...

Has anyone seen what has been happening (if anything) with 7000 Staffordshire?

Nothing has happened to it yet. It's such gorgeous property (once owned by M.D. Andersen, as the "President's House", but sold in 1993), but as it is now owned by "Cambridge Properties", one would expect its demise any day now.

Devonshire was once a beautiful neighborhood. But they lost a deed restrictions fight (around 1995, if I recall correctly) against a developer who had acquired two houses facing Holcombe, and that was a signal to all other landowners that they could sell out to townhome developers. So, the neighborhood has been under seige since then.

Edited by agorist

Nothing has happened to it yet. It's such gorgeous property (once owned by M.D. Andersen, as the "President's House", but sold in 1993), but as it is now owned by "Cambridge Properties", one would expect its demise any day now.

Devonshire was once a beautiful neighborhood. But they lost a deed restrictions fight (around 1995, if I recall correctly) against a developer who had acquired two houses facing Holcombe, and that was a signal to all other landowners that they could sell out to townhome developers. So, the neighborhood has been under seige since then.

i agree - i spent a bit of time in the neighborhood growing up, and it was beautiful. it is losing it as time goes on.

I know Cambridge. They've developed or currently own most everything between Fannin and Knight that is north of about El Paseo. They're also working on the development of a big medical office tower atop a three-story medical-retail mall along Fannin. To my knowledge, they've never done residential development. Everything is office or medical office...and now medical-retail.

We drove by the Parkwood Apartments and it seems like most of the residents have moved out now. The neighborhood does seem really quiet ..There are houses right across from where the apartments are and on the street directly behind them(Wyndale and Canterbury). It will be interesting to see what happens when the demolition starts..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with the demolition, (since I live tangent to the northside of Parkwood. We lived in Parkwood from '88 - '93. Thoroughly enjoyed the neighborhood, SPACE, and convenience to biking or walking to our Med Center jobs. In '93, we purchased a burned out - boarded up home in Devonshire. If I had "M.D." after my name, I suppose the restoration would be done by now, but still working on it. I'm an old house junkie. We have one of Houston's few remaining "stintled" exterior brick facades as our home was built in '46. Looks like the bricklayers may have been tripping on acid.

As Devonshire inhabitants, (41 houses developed over time by former Houston Mayor Oscar Holcombe in 1923) we have banded with our neighbors to fight the townhome developers and Med Center Gorilla. Haven't won and INCH yet. Cambridge Properties sold to another group that wants to develop a mid or hi-rise on 7000 Staffordshire. As they presented their plan to us, they would preserve as much of the landscape as possible recognizing the landscape as a reclusive selling point. Maybe that is the best possible choice to avoid "zero lot line, curb to curb look-alike boxes", as built on the north side of the neighborhood.

Well, my Halloween decor come down today. I hope I haven't violated the "malicious" part of the contract to post on this website. RIP Parkwood Apt. and affordable housing.

Edited by house567
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, surprised no one has posted more details.

There was an article in the Baylor College of Medicine "Solutions" magazine.

http://www.bcm.edu/solutions/v2i3/center.html

parkwoodaerial.jpg

Some people in my lab (I am a student at BCM) lived in the Parkwood and had to move out.

I'll keep my eyes posted for actual renderings -- I walk by the office that always has the renderings and architectural models every day.

• Like 1

This has been talked about for a while, but the Baylor Adult Clinic on the Parkwood site was officially approved by the BCM Board of Trustees today.

"The Board of Trustees of Baylor College of Medicine recognizes the critical importance of control of an adult, private teaching hospital for fulfilling the College's long-term vision of pursuit of excellence in its missions of education, research and health care. Therefore, the Board approves the development of an integrated Baylor Clinic and Hospital and authorizes management to proceed with the project in accordance with the plans presented to the Board on January 24, 2007."

There will be meetings during the 2nd week of Februrary to discuss the specifics of the plan, and hopefully show off some renderings and models. I will continue to update this thread as the information becomes available and likely as construction proceeds.

Also at BCM lately:

* BCM Research Tower, the final piece of the Main Campus, nears completion (http://www.bcm.edu/watchusgrow/?PMID=2640)

* DeBakey Library: renovation and addition of the DeBakey building on the BCM Main Campus continues to progress. (http://www.bcm.edu/watchusgrow/?PMID=2642)

• Like 1

They're growing so fast, I can't wait to see the renderings. Any Idea about how big (or tall) this one will be?

Don't know; hopefully I'll find out on Feb 5. But it should be a significant size, a nontrivial building. Maybe not tall, but a large footprint at least.

Edited by Ian Rees
  • Like 1

Thanks for this. Any news on when they will start building the hospital? I know they are still demolishing the apartmetns right now..

Hey guys, surprised no one has posted more details.

There was an article in the Baylor College of Medicine "Solutions" magazine.

http://www.bcm.edu/solutions/v2i3/center.html

parkwoodaerial.jpg

Some people in my lab (I am a student at BCM) lived in the Parkwood and had to move out.

I'll keep my eyes posted for actual renderings -- I walk by the office that always has the renderings and architectural models every day.