TMC Projects

TheNiche

I apologize that I really have nothing to add but I do have a question myself regarding construction in the Medical Center. I work at Methodist Hospital and I was wondering would anyone on this board have a drawing of the new Methodist Outpatient building going up on the west side of Fannin? Thanks in advance.

I apologize that I really have nothing to add but I do have a question myself regarding construction in the Medical Center. I work at Methodist Hospital and I was wondering would anyone on this board have a drawing of the new Methodist Outpatient building going up on the west side of Fannin? Thanks in advance.

I got the data I needed, but only for the TMC proper.

According to the TMC, Inc., the Outpatient Center will have 569,000 square feet of space, excluding parking, which takes up another 262,000 square feet of space. Completion is anticipated in June 2008.

img_large_1_project_50.jpg

img_large_2_project_50.jpg

img_large_3_project_50.jpg

More pictures and information can be found here, although their 'program manager' shows 1.4 million square feet and projects a 2009 completion. I don't know quite what to make of the discrepancy.

I got the data I needed, but only for the TMC proper.

According to the TMC, Inc., the Outpatient Center will have 569,000 square feet of space, excluding parking, which takes up another 262,000 square feet of space. Completion is anticipated in June 2008.

, although their 'program manager' shows 1.4 million square feet and projects a 2009 completion. I don't know quite what to make of the discrepancy.

Where did you get the first set of numbers? Everything I can find comes closer to the 1.4 million squre foot number. Here's one quote from the Business Journal that may explain:

"The building will include 500,000 square feet of patient care, says Felker. The other 1 million square feet will be solely for parking, she says, and will include more than 1,300 parking spaces."

• Like 1

Where did you get the first set of numbers? Everything I can find comes closer to the 1.4 million squre foot number. Here's one quote from the Business Journal that may explain:

"The building will include 500,000 square feet of patient care, says Felker. The other 1 million square feet will be solely for parking, she says, and will include more than 1,300 parking spaces."

Looks to me like the TMC, Inc. just got their parking numbers wrong. But the amount of non-parking square footage looks about right.

Are they having to tear anything down to build? I couldn't imagine there being an empty lot there unless it's parking?

Sorry, I don't frequent that area much and don't even live in Houston right now, so I couldn't see for myself until I come home next week, what up! ;)

• Like 1

img_large_3_project_50.jpg

Uptown may have taller structures, but hands down TMC has true density. Most every building is built right up to the street. If anything was going to compete with Downtown density, I think TMC is ahead of it game and off to a great street.

Great looking project. :)

• Like 1

Uptown may have taller structures, but hands down TMC has true density. Most every building is built right up to the street. If anything was going to compete with Downtown density, I think TMC is ahead of it game and off to a great street.

Great looking project. :)

That may have been planned, but with it being a bunch of hospitals, it's probably more of a pragmatic/logistical thing than anything, don't ya think?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information on the new hospital Baylor is building off Wyndale, where the old Parkwood Apartments used to be? I have not been able to find any new information on it. However, the old apartments continue to be demolished. There was also a rendering in the Baylor newspaper that showed a bridge going from Pressler (off Holcombe) going over the bayou, connecting to Wyndale, near where the hospital is to be built. U of H owns the land on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale, and recently fenced off their land. Does anyone know anything about that one? Also, I know Cambridge Properties did own the land at 7000 Staffordshire, down the street from the proposed hospital. But Cambridge sold the land several years ago, and it has sat vacant ever since. If anyone has any info on the area(including the Devonshire Place neighborhood) please pass it on! thanks!

Does anyone have any information on the new hospital Baylor is building off Wyndale, where the old Parkwood Apartments used to be? I have not been able to find any new information on it. However, the old apartments continue to be demolished. There was also a rendering in the Baylor newspaper that showed a bridge going from Pressler (off Holcombe) going over the bayou, connecting to Wyndale, near where the hospital is to be built. U of H owns the land on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale, and recently fenced off their land. Does anyone know anything about that one? Also, I know Cambridge Properties did own the land at 7000 Staffordshire, down the street from the proposed hospital. But Cambridge sold the land several years ago, and it has sat vacant ever since. If anyone has any info on the area(including the Devonshire Place neighborhood) please pass it on! thanks!

Nope, and I've tried to pry it out of them. They won't budge. They just kept telling me to wait until mid-January.

I'm just wondering if they're finally going to get rid of the Kindred Hospital. that old horse is needed, but good lord, they need an upgraded facility!

So I assume that the building next to the new Outpatient center, the old one will be demo'ed?

I'm not sure off hand. Anybody else know?

• 4 weeks later...

Construction has started on the Methodist Hospital Research Institute building in the Texas Medical Center.

The 420,000-square-foot advanced medical research facility will have five floors of laboratory space, imaging equipment and operating rooms for research.

In early 2004, Methodist's board approved $100 million to create an endowment to launch the institute.

Later that year, the board committed an additional $30 million to fund a neurological institute as part of the research center.

The project is being built next to the Methodist Hospital on Bertner Avenue and it should be completed in 2009.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4542550.html

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Edited by houstonsemipro

• 1 month later...

i noticed two new buildings under construction at TMC yesterday. i have not been able to figure out which one is the really tall building with cranes still on top. i've perused this thread twice and still not identified which one it might be. i forgot to bring my camera. this building looks to be more than 25 stories and appears to be, sort of, in the middle of the medical center. can someone put 2 and 2 together for me? thanks.

i noticed two new buildings under construction at TMC yesterday. i have not been able to figure out which one is the really tall building with cranes still on top. i've perused this thread twice and still not identified which one it might be. i forgot to bring my camera. this building looks to be more than 25 stories and appears to be, sort of, in the middle of the medical center. can someone put 2 and 2 together for me? thanks.

The tall one u/c. Part of M.D. Anderson.

img_large_1_project_28.jpg

img_large_2_project_28.jpg

img_large_3_project_28.jpg

Edited by WesternGulf

Texas Children's is also planning on adding 8 floors to the 12 story Feigin Center. That project was announced at the same time they announced the new 15 story Neuro Bldg and the 14 story Maternity Center. The Feigin Center project was due to commence immediately so maybe that's the crane in question?

• 2 weeks later...
Also, there is a new 12 story medical/surgical outpatient building being constructed on holcomb, near main, with two large cranes put up.

Any idea what the big hole at Holcombe & Braeswood is? It's on the bayou side of Braeswood between Holcombe and Pressler...

I noticed that a building Belonging to methodist was being Demo'ed, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

It amazes me that there is so much stuff going on in the medical center alone that it's getting to be very difficult to keep track of.

I noticed that a building Belonging to methodist was being Demo'ed, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

It amazes me that there is so much stuff going on in the medical center alone that it's getting to be very difficult to keep track of.

The building being demoed is to make way for the new Methodist inpatient building.

Any idea what the big hole at Holcombe & Braeswood is? It's on the bayou side of Braeswood between Holcombe and Pressler...

I believe it will be a UTHSC parking garage that is to be the same height as the parking garage across the street but TWICE as long. I wonder what the negative impact of the lighting, construction noise, and longterm noise will be for the homeowners across from Braes Bayou.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a big hole, but a small hole....Can anyone provide information as to why the newly remodeled Valero Cornerstore at Fannin and S. Braeswood was gutted and now sits empty? Are there supposed to be protective fences to keep out riftraft? I noticed for a short time period a sign on the property from "RealAmerica Corp." Who are they? Two years ago, they had a sign on the 4.3 acre University of Houston property, S. Braeswood & Wyndale, which was subsequently taken away after 6 weeks. Any info is appreciated.

• 3 months later...

This would be a good place to add any information that comes out on the Methodist expansion up along MD Anderson Boulevard on the way in to Baylor College of Medicine, where the nurses' dormitory has lately been torn down.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=methodist+ho...p;z=19&om=1

Meanwhile, I will mention that if any place is a candidate for robotic parking garages, the Med Center is it.

I'd say yes AND no. It's crazy busy and the wait would be incredibly long and inefficient.

Even for employees who stay there a minimum of 8 hours, it would be a nightmare to get your car in and out of the thing.

If one is to be built, it would probably have to be done valet style for doctors and executives who stay there far longer than your normal 8 hr shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of expansion.. The Medical Clinic of Houston on Sunset is going through an expansion. There has been talk in the neighborhood surrounding it about the effect this will have on them. Some are fearing that Medical Clinic can claim eminent domain because of its relationship with the Texas Medical Center. Others are wondering about developers coming in and buying up houses because the land is so valuable. Here is my question for you. If you lived in a small neighborhood, let's say, 8 acres, and by some miracle all of you agreed that a buyout was your best option, what developers in town do you think have the greatest capital and capability to buy neighborhoods out?(I posted this question on another HAIF site but haven't received a response yet)

Speaking of expansion.. The Medical Clinic of Houston on Sunset is going through an expansion. There has been talk in the neighborhood surrounding it about the effect this will have on them. Some are fearing that Medical Clinic can claim eminent domain because of its relationship with the Texas Medical Center. Others are wondering about developers coming in and buying up houses because the land is so valuable. Here is my question for you. If you lived in a small neighborhood, let's say, 8 acres, and by some miracle all of you agreed that a buyout was your best option, what developers in town do you think have the greatest capital and capability to buy neighborhoods out?(I posted this question on another HAIF site but haven't received a response yet)

Good question. I've seen it done with condos, but a whole single-family neighborhood might be difficult. Are there deed restrictions? Anything in them about neighborhood buyouts? That's probably the only way that you could actually make it happen. Otherwise, the peacemeal process just gets bogged down with a few hold-outs that refuse to sell until their homes are already surrounded by a concrete jungle.

For a TMC land play, if everything lined up easily, there'd be no shortage of firms willing and able to buy the land. The neighborhood just needs to hire a broker and make it all happen.

Good question. I've seen it done with condos, but a whole single-family neighborhood might be difficult. Are there deed restrictions? Anything in them about neighborhood buyouts? That's probably the only way that you could actually make it happen. Otherwise, the peacemeal process just gets bogged down with a few hold-outs that refuse to sell until their homes are already surrounded by a concrete jungle.

For a TMC land play, if everything lined up easily, there'd be no shortage of firms willing and able to buy the land. The neighborhood just needs to hire a broker and make it all happen.

You are right. And I'm assuming the neighborhoods around the Medical Clinic are deed restricted. But even within the restrictions, they probably have a clause about being able to make amendments. We live in Knollwood and I know somewhere we have acceptions though I've never actually seen the written restrictions.

You are right. And I'm assuming the neighborhoods around the Medical Clinic are deed restricted. But even within the restrictions, they probably have a clause about being able to make amendments. We live in Knollwood and I know somewhere we have acceptions though I've never actually seen the written restrictions.

Well that's just the thing is that if you want to encourage a neighborhood buyout, deed restrictions are just about your only hope. Otherwise, it's every man for himself, and there'll be holdouts that discourage land assemblage.

Well that's just the thing is that if you want to encourage a neighborhood buyout, deed restrictions are just about your only hope. Otherwise, it's every man for himself, and there'll be holdouts that discourage land assemblage.

It makes me think of the woman in Dallas who refused to give up her shack for the new stadium that was going to be built. She hung in there later than anyone else, and her little $30,000 shack made her a millionaire when she finally gave in to the developers..