Gas Station At 1800 Houston Ave.

twisterhunt

Disappointing to see another historic demo (per HCAD this structure goes back to 1926), though IMO this building has been in fairly rough shape for years. 

New permits suggest a 4K sq foot c-store + kitchen. Hoping that with Caveza closing across the street this can bring some new life into the area - and it's something more than the c-store (Oscar's) that is already just a block north of here...

20210630_205228.jpg

20210630_201329.jpg

20210630_201953.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

On 7/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I had no idea Cafeza even closed. Is the property up for sale or lease again? I would absolutely hate to lose that little building as well. 

It's still open until July 31st, Thursdays and Fridays from 8am-4pm. 

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/food-briefs-cafeza-to-close-july-31/article_639b309e-d434-11eb-9a84-af8b1b37ae3b.html

I haven't come across any listings - the bones are there hopefully someone can reuse for a similar purpose maybe...

the entire lot has been cleared, including the concrete on the front half and all of the trees from the back half.  does anyone have any more details on what's going in and when?  

the warehouse on the 10,000 sq ft adjacent lot north of this property is under contract.  i'm wondering if these two are at all related to each other?

https://www.har.com/homedetail/1820-houston-ave-houston-tx-77007/2949096

• Confused 2

Yeah, Oscar's Food Mart is 2 blocks north of here.  

As someone that lives in the neighborhood, I have to say that a gas station on this corner feels like a small scale version of the Home Depot going in at Lower Heights District.  On a practical level, I know I'll be able to use both of these, but I can't help feeling disappointed that we've now squandered two opportunities to have a transformational impact on this area.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TrainTrak said:

As someone that lives in the neighborhood, I have to say that a gas station on this corner feels like a small scale version of the Home Depot going in at Lower Heights District.  On a practical level, I know I'll be able to use both of these, but I can't help feeling disappointed that we've now squandered two opportunities to have a transformational impact on this area.

Isn't this corner store going to have a nice restaurant space? Let's hold off and see what the final design looks like. While it won't be an architectural achievement, I do think this is important for the immediate neighborhood. 

• Like 2

I was made aware that there were last minute petitions to save the old gas station that was here. I live in the area, and I am truly disappointed. This hurts my heart.... not so much that we are getting a gas station... but we lost one of the coolest old buildings that had so much potential.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Isn't this corner store going to have a nice restaurant space? Let's hold off and see what the final design looks like. While it won't be an architectural achievement, I do think this is important for the immediate neighborhood. 

You're right (although I generally don't get excited about restaurants inside of gas station, there is a 0.000000001% chance it could be a Hruskas).

And speaking of unexciting restaurants, anybody know why the KFC/Taco Bell in Sawyer Heights got demolished and what will be replacing it?

2 hours ago, TrainTrak said:

yes big same.  hi neighbor! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twisterhunt said:

It looks like this is the group involved in designing the project: 

http://www.tnassociatesinc.com/

I too am holding out for something more than Oscar's or the Fuel Depot just north across I-10, but based on some of the renderings for other projects on this page I'm keeping my expectations in check 🥴

Wow I could build their portfolio in about an hour it's so bad. Just boxes with canopies

Edited by j_cuevas713

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow I could build their portfolio in about an hour it's so bad. Just boxes with canopies

It's Chili's Suburban Couture. 

Also, I'm guessing the realistic scenario is something like a 7/11 with their Laredo Taco Company in it, but maybe you'll get an actual separated spot. 

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its very strange, I noticed it on a Google search for another property I'm interested in. It showed up as a pin drop, here is the link. Maybe its the restaurant within the gas station or maybe its a stand alone restaurant. When  asked my realtor and he said it that he heard it was going to be a restaurant They still haven't installed underground tanks, not sure what the procedure is with that but I would assume it would have been done already. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mr.+Tino's+Taqueria/@29.7733557,-95.3722841,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf4272fac665f9cdf!8m2!3d29.7739302!4d-95.3721178

Edited by Montecore
Grammar fix

21 hours ago, Texasota said:

I would like to hear more about these potential tacos.

If there's ever an episode of Family Feud featuring the category "Sentiments Most Frequently Expressed by Houstonians", there's a good chance this would be the #1 answer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So talked with the 2 guys working here and both said this will be a gas station/convenience store with tacos. I asked about the underground fuel tanks and they said they haven't been installed yet.

Edit: With an awning over the fuel pumps.

HDlZyjW.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TrainTrak said:

I heard a rumor that the same developer bought the two warehouses next door.  Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, what's planned at that location?

Same corporate entity owns the parcel where the gas station is going in, which is lot 4-6 Block 272 Baker NSBB. The other parcel is Lots 7,8 Block 272 Baker NSBB. No clue what's going to be built there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1