20 Years of HAIF: Share your memories

editor

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

I probably surfed HAIF for a couple years before I became a member. Posted pics directly from my iPhone till I met the limit and then realized I could use Imgur for hosting my pics. Been a member since 2014.

Thanks for being a long-term member!  

FYI, I recently increased the upload limit.  It was previously set at a size that made sense in the early days, but is no longer realistic.  It is much more believable now.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the work you have done and are doing to keep this site up and going - I joined way back in 2004 shortly after I moved to Houston....it was a great way for me to learn about the "big city" since I was moving from a small town in Michigan....It continues to be a great source of information!

• Like 3

My father moved back to Houston in the late 90s in a townhome off Blossom Street. Growing up in Spring, I spent all the time I could with him in the city to follow my fascination of architecture, city planning, transportation, and to escape the general boredom of the suburbs. Coming of age and surfing the web, I believe I stumbled on HAIF looking up information on local buildings for an art project. He moved away again but I could drive by then so the first thing I did was head down 45. 

I think there was maybe one point in time I contributed photos on my brick digital camera that was a whopping 12 megapixels.

And wow, unlocked memories, I completely forgot about the muddy cowboy. Also, could have sworn the HAIF icons changing for holidays/special days was because Google owned a copywrite on holiday logos? Someone probably posted that a joke.

Redscare & TheNiche going at it felt like watching titans battle. Entertaining, annoying, and sometimes educational. 

How could you forget the site crash? I checked every day to see if it would come back. 

Big Head on Main Street.

Every thread ending up as a Dallas vs Houston.

Speaking of, the Port of Dallas Thread.

Heights Walmart... I'm pretty sure I took a break from HAIF during this time. The people involved with the arms race migrated to Swamplot and didn't come back. 

Idk how many hours I've spent on this website but probably an unhealthy amount. I'm 100% certain there was a thread about how annoying I was posting on literally every single thread - daily. Nothing has changed. 

• Like 1

I think TheNiche got his own day because he was the first to hit 10,000 posts.  Followed very soon after by RedScare if I recall correctly.  I miss the Christmas tree banners.  There was also a brief time when you could post a map of a given project in the banner.  That was a really cool feature.  Don't recall why that got pulled.

I've been a member since 2008 and I miss some of the active posters we used to have.  The Heights Walmart thread was a blast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, august948 said:

I think TheNiche got his own day because he was the first to hit 10,000 posts.  Followed very soon after by RedScare if I recall correctly.  I miss the Christmas tree banners.  There was also a brief time when you could post a map of a given project in the banner.  That was a really cool feature.  Don't recall why that got pulled.

I've been a member since 2008 and I miss some of the active posters we used to have.  The Heights Walmart thread was a blast.

HAIF used to be almost like an 8chan for people interested in real estate development.  Niche and RedScare could be as vicious and line crossing as they could be interesting and well informed.  And a lot of posters would follow their lead making hot topics pretty toxic at times.  I had fun sparring with everyone but it got to the point where the tone was limiting who could participate to only those who had very thick skins.

It is interesting to reflect back on the whole stop Walmart thing.  I always wondered how much that fight influenced developers like Radom, Deal, Braun and others who have broken with the longstanding Houston development pattern of demolishing anything old and building strip malls, townhomes and generic apartments in its place.    

• Like 1

I can't remember how I first found HAIF. I suspect it was via a link from some other site, or from a hit in Google search results when HAIF happened to have something relevant to whatever it was that I'd been looking for.  I am somewhat surprised that I've been here since 2006. Doesn't seem like it's been 15 years. 

Edited by mkultra25
typo
  • Like 2

I became passionate about Houston development when the Stros/Rockets built their new stadiums with the threat of possibly relocating. I remember the Cotswold project being the first project that got me excited about the possibilities downtown. Been a member pretty much since the beginning. 

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/The-Cotswold-Project-beautifies-Downtown-9803075.php

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I became passionate about Houston development when the Stros/Rockets built their new stadiums with the threat of possibly relocating. I remember the Cotswold project being the first project that got me excited about the possibilities downtown. Been a member pretty much since the beginning. 

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/The-Cotswold-Project-beautifies-Downtown-9803075.php

I didn't get on this site until 2005 officially I was following all that action on Clutch City/Clutch fans if those idiots wouldn't have took away my account back in the day at Clutch City  I probably would have been a 20 year member Lol 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

I didn't get on this site until 2005 officially I was following all that action on Clutch City/Clutch fans if those idiots wouldn't have took away my account back in the day at Clutch City  I probably would have been a 20 year member Lol 

Daaamn yeah I remember Clutch Fans too! 

• Like 1

I stumbled across HAIF while seeking information about Houston's new Light Rail. To my delight, I found a community of people whose interests were similar to my own, and who provided information and insights that other Houston media did not. 
I remember the Great Meltdown of HAIF v.1 (and the weirdo homophobe who was almost certainly behind it). Lots of great information and observations were lost. Perhaps it doesn't rival the burning of the library at Alexandria, but it cannot be completely replicated.
HAIF has led to some long-term friendships which have continued on Facebook and even IRL.  It's no exaggeration to say that HAIF was the social networking site for Houston in the early 2000's. 
Thanks to Wayne and our fearless moderators for keeping this site up and running. 

• Like 4

On 6/21/2021 at 7:36 AM, Montrose1100 said:

How could you forget the site crash? I checked every day to see if it would come back. 

Idk how many hours I've spent on this website but probably an unhealthy amount. I'm 100% certain there was a thread about how annoying I was posting on literally every single thread - daily. Nothing has changed. 

Yeah, the big crash.  I don't even remember who hacked HAIF, it was so many years ago.  I vaguely recall that we lost something like 100,000 posts.  

If I recall correctly, you were the first person to even be banned from HAIF.  Years later, you came back a different person, and have since become an asset to this group. 

I think of that sometimes when I see people on the internet being pilloried for things they did five, ten, twenty years ago.  It is folly to judge people today by who they were in the past.  We all learn and change, every day.  The internet has taught people how to be vengeful and scornful.  How to hate and how to persecute.  But it has not yet taught people how to be patient, and how to forgive.  I think that's why the internet so often seems at odds with the values that have shaped the world for thousands of years. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, editor said:

Yeah, the big crash.  I don't even remember who hacked HAIF, it was so many years ago.  I vaguely recall that we lost something like 100,000 posts.  

If I recall correctly, you were the first person to even be banned from HAIF.  Years later, you came back a different person, and have since become an asset to this group. 

I think of that sometimes when I see people on the internet being pilloried for things they did five, ten, twenty years ago.  It is folly to judge people today by who they were in the past.  We all learn and change, every day.  The internet has taught people how to be vengeful and scornful.  How to hate and how to persecute.  But it has not yet taught people how to be patient, and how to forgive.  I think that's why the internet so often seems at odds with the values that have shaped the world for thousands of years. 

Was I? I know I got in trouble for arguing with Dalparadise in every thread, but I don't think I was banned? 

Anyway, thanks for forgiving me 😇.

• 1 month later...

I started with the website before venturing into the forum.  I think I joined the forum because I just like arguing, and what better thing to argue about (from my perspective) than Houston development/architecture/urban planning!  I was a freshmen in college at UH when I really got into the forum back in 2001, and I remember having to rush my posts before running off to my architectural studio course!  Made lunchtime quite hectic for me!  Eventually, it just grew into a sort of obsession!  Still is…sort of.  But then, I see, it is quite the obsession for…well…most of us.

I think this site is the lone place on the web that is 100% pro-Houston in all respects.  Many, many thanks to all who have posted and enabled such a great site to prosper over the years!  And a and hearty huzzah to Wayne for starting this over 2-decades ago.

What a run!  Here’s to another 20!