Business And Shopping Trips To New Orleans

In the days before online shopping, many families within reasonable driving distance made annual or semi-annual shopping trips to downtown New Orleans. When I was a kid, I remember going with my parents to several large department stores in or near the central business district including D. H. Holmes and Maison Blanche. Most of these shopping trips from New Iberia to New Orleans were combined with visits to relatives who lived in Thibodaux (approximately 80 miles east of New Iberia and 60 miles west of New Orleans).

New Orleans was (and presumably still is) also a popular location for annual conventions. The conventions my parents attended typically lasted several days. The places I remember staying at (when I was a kid) are: Jung Hotel, Monteleone Hotel, and Tamanaca Downtown Motel. I also remember visiting the 33-storey International Trade Mart building at least once. It has since been repurposed with the new name, Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences New Orleans.

Edited by k5jri radio
more complete information

• The title was changed to Business And Shopping Trips To New Orleans