8-Unit Apartment Building: 214 Welch St.

HoustonMidtown

When I moved to Houston (1981) I lived directly across the street from this building, and it had already been unoccupied for quite a while. 
How strange that a building this old has been vacant for so many years, perhaps longer than it was ever occupied.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wilcal said:

YES. Next dream building to be renovated after this one will be Fairview @ Morgan. 

Wasn’t that originally a Post Office Bldg?
That Bldg was tied up in contentious divorce settlement for many many years.......10 years ago I think it might have been considered for expansion as part of Boheme. Selfishly I hoped all those shade trees in the adjoining area could have been rehabbed as a shady place to enjoy a drink and “people watch”  the more than unique comings and goings on of this part of Fairview.( much different than people watching on Westheimer IMO 🙃😇)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Wasn’t that originally a Post Office Bldg?
That Bldg was tied up in contentious divorce settlement for many many years.......10 years ago I think it might have been considered for expansion as part of Boheme. Selfishly I hoped all those shade trees in the adjoining area could have been rehabbed as a shady place to enjoy a drink and “people watch”  the more than unique comings and goings on of this part of Fairview.( much different than people watching on Westheimer IMO 🙃😇)

My local cult branch is near here, and I always feel eyes on me when we do our running rituals. I've been curious when this spooky building would finally get love. The area is nice and deserves some love.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

This building was presented to me an past Artist “ commune” of sorts…when I asked about it 15 years ago……. Last occupied maybe  40-50 years ago? A lot of artists would use the small apartments for studios as well as living space…sometimes hosting “starving artists sales” on same weekend. The land owner was always a mysterious conversation— I asked Bob Novotney (Texas Junk Co) about the building but didn’t get much info. Maybe I asked the barista at Ecllesia coefficient shop when it was in that church. 

im curious now about any back story that explains why it took so long to rehab this building.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trymahjong said:

This building was presented to me an past Artist “ commune” of sorts…when I asked about it 15 years ago……. Last occupied maybe  40-50 years ago? A lot of artists would use the small apartments for studios as well as living space…sometimes hosting “starving artists sales” on same weekend. The land owner was always a mysterious conversation— I asked Bob Novotney (Texas Junk Co) about the building but didn’t get much info. Maybe I asked the barista at Ecllesia coefficient shop when it was in that church. 

im curious now about any back story that explains why it took so long to rehab this building.

I'd bet some of the folks in this Facebook group would have more info about this building - might be worth posting a question there:

Montrose Houston Hippie Tribe

Pretty sure Bob Novotney's a group member, but there are quite a few others who have firsthand knowledge of many aspects of Montrose history dating back to the 60s. 

• The title was changed to Welch And Taft Rehab
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Welch St. And Taft St. Rehab
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Rehab At Welch St. And Taft St.
On 8/10/2022 at 7:06 PM, Texasota said:

Hmmm. Why did they bother to "keep" the building exactly?

It might have to do with setback regulations. Existing buildings are 'grandfathered' and do not have to alter the building's footprint to comply with modern setback and traffic visibility laws. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I stopped to take some pictures a woman involved with the project showed up. She said there will be 8 units, one bedrooms with doors and not studios. Small size around 500 sq. ft. Should be ready soon, just have a few items on the punch list to knock out.

SOomg6w.jpg

IcLrU18.jpg

2CjUmFR.jpg

dKAjvLf.jpg

dUzCkeR.jpg

I asked her if she has tried to purchase the old building on Fairview at Morgan St. across from the new Cucharita restaurant. She said she and others have tried to buy the building but the owner wouldn't sell.

u7F48X3.png

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 8-Unit Apartment Building: 214 Welch St.